Skipping Teachers Meetings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, May 13, 2015.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

May 13, 2015

Is there ever a day when you don't feel like going to your teachers' meeting and skipped it? How often have you done it?
    What do you all usually talk about in teachers' meetings? And how often is your meeting, once a week?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 13, 2015

Teacher's meetings are not popular with teachers in general. Principals really frown on missing them, and it is a quick way to get on a principal's bad side fast. I always pray that they will be cancelled, but I never skip them unless I ask permission and have a really really good reason. To answer your first question, I never ever feel like going to a teacher's meeting.

I would not suggest skipping them unless you are 100% sure it is okay to do so.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 13, 2015

Faculty meetings? Skipping without prior admin approval (or not there that day) would be a huge issue in my school. But no one ever feels like going to them. :p

5. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 13, 2015

Most principals will give you a pass for a staff meeting if you have or make up a good reason. I've missed for getting my car fixed.

6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 14, 2015

I have weekly meetings--they are quite cumbersome. I always want to skip them because they are supposed to be run by teachers and curriculum based discussions, but they turn into admin taking over the meeting and telling us what we should do.

They are extremely ineffective.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 14, 2015

We meet once a month as a whole staff. I really like them. School starts two hours late that day. We spend 30-60 minutes meeting and then have different things we can do including a lot of times just free work time. We learn what's going on, upcoming events, we discuss things as a staff like our new mentoring program, etc...

Skipping is a big no-no.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 14, 2015

Our meetings are once a monthand only last about 15-20 minutes so not a big deal. We do have to sign in though so if we don't go they will know and ask why.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2015

Our meetings are once a month starting at 3:15 and usually finishing by 4:30 or 4:45. Attendance is not mandatory, but is advised and most attend. If we aren't able to attend, someone catches us up on what we missed.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 14, 2015

I never have and presumably never will have a faculty meeting I actually feel like attending, but short of being in the emergency room or the morgue, I wouldn't dare miss one.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 14, 2015

Most schools I have worked at required us to attend faculty meetings, but a good excuse was accepted.

The last public school I worked at had a going away party for me when I left. Unfortunately, my daughter was having emergency surgery the day they had the party. They took a picture of the cake.

12. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

May 14, 2015

We have meetings almost every day from 7:05-7:35.

Mondays are staff meetings.
    Tuesdays are department meetings.
    Wednesdays are devotionals (private school).
    Thursdays are grade level meetings (only when needed for planning homecoming etc.)
    Fridays are professional development.

I actually really enjoy going to the meetings. They are usually shorter than the allotted time and straight to the point. I'm pretty sure someone marks attendance each meeting. I wouldn't miss unless I was missing school that day.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 14, 2015

My principal hates staff meetings. We have one a month, if that. Instead, my principal generally sends out one big e-mail a week (occasionally more, but we can count on the Friday Email) and expects it to be read.

We do have more frequent smaller meetings of smaller groups. I find those to be a lot more useful than a big infodump of a staff meeting. Which is why I prefer the mail system.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 14, 2015

We rarely have faculty meetings, maybe once or twice per quarter. They last only about 15-30 minutes and are usually about some upcoming event or standardized testing. Admin absolutely notices who doesn't attend these meetings (and they are mandatory). Honestly they're so short and the information is usually pretty important that it would be dumb not to go.

We have staff development days at the beginning of the school year and once per quarter, and those are a different story. Sometimes the information is good and relevant, but often it feels like filler info or is a literal verbatim repeat of last year's info. Even though those meetings are often a waste of time, they are still mandatory. We would get into big trouble for not going.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 14, 2015

We dismiss students one hour early each Wednesday; therefore, our staff meetings are during the teachers' contractual hours. Attendance is mandatory--unless a teacher calls in that hour as sick time.

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 14, 2015

We have shortened Wednesdays for various meetings (all different groupings, all saying the same things), but for some reason, our staff meetings are on Tuesdays after a full day of school, and are supposed to run from 3:15-4:30, but they usually go later. I get that we need time to meet and connect as a staff, but most of the time is spent on either pointless presentations, or repeating information that was already sent out in emails. I get that not everyone reads their email, but it's torture for those of us that do! I wish we could just keep it short and to the point, go over action items, and send the rest out in a bulletin.

17. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 14, 2015

We have a grade level meeting EVERY week, well most weeks. I despise them. We are supposed to be collaborating. We don't. We all do our own thing and our principal is ok with that. In fact she has said to team members individually why do we even meet if I can go into each classroom and each one of you are doing different things. In fact our grade level is a joke about how many time we do meet and for how long. Some-days we meet for hours on end and other we meet for like 10. It really is a pain in the butt.
    Staff meetings are not as often. We meet all together probably once a month. Sometimes it might be more and sometimes it could be way less. If we don't have a meeting and she needs to get something to us we will get an email.

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 14, 2015

We have meetings twice a month after school for an hour or so - sometimes more. It is in our contract and attendance is mandatory. It would be a huge no-no to skip.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 14, 2015

We have a daily morning meeting. It's about 10-15 min. long. It's schedule to start at 7:30, usually doesn't start until 7:35. It was an adjustment, but I enjoy it. It's brief, whole staff and sometimes the only time I see some people. On non-pay weeks we take turns bringing in breakfast, so it's just social time. Sometimes there's not a lot to talk about, so we share the positives that are happening in our rooms or personal lives.

20. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

May 14, 2015

This is how we do it, too. Every Wednesday. Without fail. And our P would not be a happy camper if someone missed it.
    Sheilah

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 14, 2015

We have staff meetings for 90 minutes after school (meaning after contract hours) once or twice a month. I think it is far too much, because we spend a lot of that time on PD. The thing is, we also have half day Fridays twice a month where students leave at noon and teachers stay until 3:30 for PD. That is plenty of time- we don't need to be spending "staff meeting" time on PD also. The actual "staff meeting" part lasts 45 minutes at the most, and the rest is PD. This is also in addition to at least 3-4 full PD days during the school year. I also just get annoyed because I take a fitness class at 4:30, and have to miss it on staff meeting days because I can't get there on time. Just "skipping" is definitely not an option, but my P would be understanding if someone has an appointment or something like that.

My last school was awful in a multitude of ways, but one thing that was nice was that they had to have all meetings during contract hours or pay us for them. Meetings were usually about 20 minutes long during the 30 minutes of contract time before school. This kept admin in check with making sure all meetings were truly required/important and the extra money was nice when we did have to do something outside of contract hours!

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 14, 2015

We have late start Wednesday. I had never heard of that before coming to this school. We start at 9:30 instead of the usual 8:00. We have staff meetings during that time once a month. Those meetings are definitely mandatory.

We also have Thursday afternoon PDs. Those aren't technically mandatory, but everyone goes. If you have a reason you need to leave, it's ok, but it really doesn't fit with our culture to miss those meetings often.

We don't take roll or anything because there are so few teachers on our staff. It's really obvious who's not there.

23. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 14, 2015

That's one of my biggest pet peeves. I HATE when "meetings" get turned into PD. We already have enough PD in the schedule!

24. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 15, 2015

When I was student teaching in elementary, we had Thursday grade-level meetings during prep and that was it. In my middle school placement, though, there was much more. There were (also Thursday) meetings with the special ed team every week, but we also had a LOT of early release Mondays. Nearly every Monday would end with a staff meeting, training, or other dispersion of information! My host teacher in this placement attempted to skip the weekly meetings a couple of times but the principal tracked him down...LOL!

25. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 15, 2015

The Union says that staff must stay once a month for an hour long staff meeting. We do not have to stay for an meetings or PD other than this time even in Admins calls it a mandatory meeting.

At this point in the year, many people skip out on our mothly staff meetings. Also, some people leave right at 4 pm - meetings are from 3-4 pm - even if Admin is talking, mid-sentence. Most people will wait for the meeting to be dismissed, though.

My school often wastes "meetings" by having us do things/complete tasks they could have asked us to do by sending an email and giving a deadline.