Skinny pants at work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jul 24, 2016.

?

Are skinny pants work appropriate?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 24, 2016

Do you think pants like these are appropriate for work? I'd get them a little longer and probably wear them with a long shirt and flats.

[​IMG]

3. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 24, 2016

I think it just depends on how strict your admin is. Just going off the picture, they look like jeans to me. So maybe you could get away with wearing them on Fridays.

4. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 24, 2016

I think this depends heavily on your school/district. My school is very casual. Admin and teachers wear jeans, summer dresses, sandals, etc. However I live in the desert, so I wouldn't expect to see full on suits, haha.
    I plan on dressing up a bit because it's my first year and that's just my style. I have some skinny pants, but they're not jeans.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 24, 2016

We aren't allowed to wear skinny pants or leggings.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 24, 2016

I decided to get something else... honestly I think I'd be fine wearing them, but I'm on more of the conservative side when choosing work clothes. Many people at my school would probably wear these.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2016

Depends on the material. Leggings, no. Skinny jeans/khakis, sure.

Backroads and MrsC like this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 24, 2016

I was thinking more this. They do button up and have pockets, which to me makes them more pants than leggings.

9. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 24, 2016

I put no. Our policy is noooooooo to skinny jeans/pants. People got in trouble last year. Also we had to be told no pants that are tight, period, because people kept wearing yoga pants and one lady kept wearing pants so incredibly tight that it was gross.

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 24, 2016

If they're denim or leggings then no, however there are skinny cut professional pants and I think those would be fine (though they're also usually not as tight). It just depends on the cut and fabric for me. I wore dark skinny jeans with a nice top to my last job, which had a business casual dress code (though I also wore dark boot cut jeans toward the end because I didn't care anymore, but no one said anything to me lol; still with a nice top or blazer, but I got tired of getting sand and animal junk all over my nice pants). But teachers should look at least somewhat professional, and jeans and leggings rarely fit that.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 24, 2016

Yes. It's basically all I wear. Although they are actual jeans not leggings. In the fall/winter pairing them with a nice pair of high boots is my staple.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 24, 2016

There's no dress code in my district. The Master Agreement simply states: Professional Attire (which is very vague). Admin are told that we may not tell people what they can/cannot wear under any circumstances.

Bunnie and otterpop like this.
  13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 24, 2016

These would be totally fine any day of the week at my school, but we're pretty casual. People do wear leggings, but obviously with longer shirts.

At my last school we weren't allowed to wear leggings (my P kept calling them "yoga pants" lol) and she only allowed us to wear jeans on Fridays (only with a school shirt) because the master agreement from the district stated we could wear them. My first indication that she was a little nuts was when she went off on a 5 minute spiel about wearing jeans only with school spirit wear within minutes of meeting the new teachers. She told us if we chose to wear a sweatshirt or vest as our "spirit wear" we had better keep it on all day no matter how hot it got, because otherwise we would be "dressed unprofessionally." She would also send out emails on weeks where we didn't have school on Friday for some reason to remind everyone that Thursday was not a jeans day, even if it was the last day of our work week.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 24, 2016

I am going out on a limb here, suggesting that if your body shape and type is very similar to that of the model in the picture, the skinny pant, especially with boots in the winter, may be fashionable, especially with an open jacket, blazer, cardigan, or tunic top, maybe hi-low, or longer, to finger tips. I think jeggings that appear painted on are simply wrong, and the dress codes at the schools I have worked at back that opinion up. That said, even jeggings/leggings can be salvaged if they are adequately covered by either longer tops to mid thigh, or by a dress that also comes to at least mid thigh.

Now here is the tricky part: If your body type is not like this picture, and there is ample real estate that needs to be covered, there are better fashion choices for your body type and shape. As a dear friend of mine once commented about a larger individual decked out in sprayed on jeggings or leggings, "There's not enough yardage to cover that back yard." Not all body types look good in the latest fashion, and it is hard for the students to understand this concept and presentation, so staff needs to set good examples that support the dress code. If you have ample girth in hips and thighs, make sure that you wear tops that create modesty by coming down to mid thigh, or the tips of the finger tips. That top/cardigan. or coverup should not be snug and body hugging, since you are trying to create the look of layers of something besides skin tight layers that leave nothing to the imagination.

I have seen teachers/staff wear leggings under dresses/skirts/long flowing tops that are very modest. Similarly, I have seen big bosomed women wear skin tight tops that leave NOTHING to the imagination, and that is just as unprofessional. Come summer and hot weather, wearing sleeveless tanks that are cut too large in the sleeve, showing a fair amount of the bra would not be considered modest or in keeping with the dress code. I keep a variety of shrugs, heavier or fairly light, that prevent more exposure than intended.

The skinny pant isn't just about women anymore - I have seen some pants on men that also looked as if they were spray painted on, and it is just as offensive. Since you have asked the question, I think that you probably have the right kind of concerns. There are tailored slacks/trousers that are stylish without sending up any red flags. What you wear will be somewhat dictated by what looks good on you body shape and type. I have a seamstress who helps with alterations, allowing me to get a tailored, professional look without having to empty my checking account. Best of luck!

Backroads, czacza and otterpop like this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 24, 2016

That's crazy for sure! I just don't get why someone would micromanage like that on the first day of meeting a new group of teachers. It starts the year off on a very negative note.

16. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 24, 2016

We also have no dress-code, you just need to look professional. If I wear "skinny" pants I wear it with a longer shirt or tunic. I never wear leggings but I have seen many teachers wear them with dresses which seems fine.

17. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2016

Those particular pants are very close fitting in the picture, but I wear skinny-not-too-tight pants that are chino-type fabric or colored denim fairly often. I like these from Old Navy:

[​IMG]

otterpop likes this.
  18. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 25, 2016

This is pretty much what I plan on wearing this year. They're nice looking, comfortable, and usually not as skin tight as skinny jeans.

19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2016

I think it's quite sad when you have to tell a room of educated professionals what is OK to wear around children and what is not! You would think they'd have enough common sense to, wear a bra, for example or pants that don't show your crack when you bend over or kneel down. We had a TA who would walk around like she was clubbing, in her tight pants and hooker heels. We were a K8 school. What kind of message does that send to the kids?
    I just looked at her (and others) like "Really?" I, a male, wore a nice button down (or polo) and khaki pants and was asked at some point, "Where's your tie?" Some consider "no tie" under dressed and unprofessional, but some of the other stuff I've seen is way worse! I taught third grade.

This is an example of what I'd wear to work:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/f3/f6/63f3f6d5cf79c597e44ef745fabf7834.jpg

This is an example of what I'd SEE some other "adults" wearing at work:
    http://xliciousgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/clubbing-outfit-ootn.jpg

Also, just as an aside since we're talking about clothes and I find it personally interesting, when did this become the new "look" for young, female teachers? Seriously EVERY 20- something female teacher I've met wears this look in some way. Is the universal accepted standard now? Was there a meeting? It's definitely better than hooker heels!
    Raise your hand if you KNOW this teacher by her attire?!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/57/46/c8/5746c81da1628d6b7deaf80325101f4a.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/db/76/47db76d3356f989cf7c37edcf0110d02.jpg

It was funny because the day my TA did dress up-- actually covered things-- my kids were all shocked and asked her, "Why are you dressed like that?"
    :rofl::toofunny:

Where was our admin to enforce the "District dress policy?"
    F**** if I knew!

:mad:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  20. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 25, 2016

I think the "not as skin tight as skinny jeans" says it all. ;)

21. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 25, 2016

Our teacher dresscode is pretty strict. We were just able to wear boots over pants last year. Leggings must be with a top that goes to the knees. All dress/skirts must be knee length. Jeans only on Fridays with spirit shirt. No tshirts during the week.

Our students wear uniforms also, so there is that, for what its worth.

22. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 25, 2016

This reminds me of a TA I knew. She always wore skin tight dresses or pants with a revealing top. She strictly wore stilettos. She was older and was with the school for many, many years. I'm not sure anyone ever told her anything!
    Best part was she worked in the the SpEd classrooms. I have no idea how (or if) she was able to get down to the students level, sit with them, or do much of anything for that matter.

DHE likes this.
  23. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 25, 2016

czacza likes this.
  24. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 25, 2016

Actually, in my school they wouldn't fly if they are the all stretch, leggings-ish material they seem in the pictures, UNLESS those tops went to mid thigh. Once again, if you have that figure, you might get away with it, but what about for the lady with a few extra pounds? I'm betting she would get called out on this - had an assistant principal who would have let skinny girls get a bye, and those with the extra pounds a warning. Fair?

25. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2016

26. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 25, 2016

It depends on your school. My school-skinny pants are fine as long as everything is covered. We have many teachers that wear leggings and just make sure the top covers below the butt.

27. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 25, 2016

I'm pretty sure it's just that that's what's in style right now. That's what I see women wearing everywhere around here, not just 20-something teachers. I used to work at a museum and my coworkers AND museum guests dressed that way; it's just what's "in" right now.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2016

Hooker heels?

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2016

I'm far from 20-something, and these are not far from what I wear most days. What are you expecting female teachers to wear?

30. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2016

I don't care either way, any of if is better and more professional than what I've seen. I was just noting that this is what I've seen most 20 -something teachers wear.
    THIS is what a lot of the seasoned teachers at my school wore:
    [​IMG]
    I just realized I can insert the picture right into the post. WOO!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2016

Exactly! There seems to be a lot of judgement here. Other than the one picture of the girl with the midi short and yellow skirt, I wouldn't question any of the other outfits.
    I sit on the floor every day with my kids, bend over their desks, climb step ladders to reach stored resources. And I do my job in clothing that works for my position and looks good. I have colored pants similar to the gray and red ones shown. I have dress trousers. I have suits, dresses and skirts-skirts some here might consider short. I wear cardis, blazers, long sleeve knits. I wear heels. High ones. I like them. I wouldn't call them hooker heels-how ridiculous. :mad:
    I'm a professional. I am highly regarded by families, admin and students. I'm at the top of my game. I know what doesn't look appropriate for work. Are there some who don't make appropriate choices? Sure. I'm just not understanding the generalizations here.

miss-m likes this.
  32. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2016

[​IMG]

33. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2016

That's who we're talking about! The people who DON'T make good choices! The only judgement, on my part, is: don't dress like you're going out clubbing or just woke up and rolled out of bed. Unfortunately I've seen it. And the point: it's sad that we have to tell adults what to wear and what to avoid.

34. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 25, 2016

There's skinny pants and then there's skinny pants. We have a few no-no pieces, but generally we just have to look professional. I don't think I look good in skinnier pants unless I do wear a tunic or dress.

Bubble necklaces... I personally hate them. My mom frets I won't wear them.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2016

I think that there are lots of cute plus-size skinny jeans. It makes me sad that people think that plus-size women need to be wearing circus tents in order to not offend others.

ms.irene, mollydoll, MrsC and 3 others like this.
  36. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 25, 2016

My comment is not that plus sized women shouldn't dress fashionably, but that the model like body types will often get a no call in the same clothes that a plus size woman will be warned about. I don't think that is fair. We won't all look the same in the same "type" of clothes, but the smart and savvy woman will work with varied styles to be stylish while being professional and modest enough to suit most school districts. There are some women who seem to make almost anything look good, and others who work very hard to achieve the same success. I would hope that we can have individuality and still meet the norms that the districts want us to meet.

Backroads likes this.
  37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2016

You've seen these on school employees?

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 25, 2016

Personally, as an administrator--I don't bat an eyelash about what anyone is wearing (plus, administrators have been explicitly told that we may not tell anyone what they can/cannot wear). To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about adults' choices in attire (we're all well-educated adults and shouldn't feel the need to police each other). What I am concerned about, however, is whether or not their students are learning. Their effectiveness as educators is what I think about each day!

39. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 25, 2016

A diplomatic administrator's answer, but good to know and keep in mind! ;)

40. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 25, 2016

[​IMG]

Not a skinny anything, but rather a professional straight leg trouser, or maybe the tiniest of flare, well matched with a stylish sweater/blouse combo. I LOVE this look, except I could only wear white pants for about 10 minutes until I had something on them (yes, I can be messy). I would probably lose the necklace, but that is just because I would have the tendency to get it into everything. I see this as a step up from the other images where the pants looked to be closer to leggings (IMHO). Nice and neat, stylish, every inch the professional. Nice look!

Backroads likes this.
  41. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 25, 2016

I also love a good straight-legged pants. So attractive.

Though I confess, I dress rather like a hippy, with the skirts and whatnot.

otterpop likes this.