Skin protection from sun

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Aug 4, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 4, 2016

I'm always looking for the natural approach to things. At the same time, I'm also very common-sense about those same things. For example, I know that there are a lot of products that are said to prevent fleas on dogs (e.g. apple cider vinegar, garlic, etc.) But I've seen slight-to-no effect from this. Rather, I've found that the flea treatments offered at the vet's office are far more effective.

So I'm thinking about the sun and sun protection. The "hippy" (natural) sort-of thinking is that conventional sunscreen does not actually protect you from sun damage (and eventually cancer). And many actually claim that these sunscreens actually promote cancer. Yet in my experience, they clearly block the sun and prevent things like sun BURN.

Instead, they claim that there are other things you can do to prevent it. I've read how coconut oil is a natural sunscreen. I myself, think that would actually promote burning (never tried it). There are yet others that say that you can have a sort of "internal sunscreen", just by eating fruits and vegetables. Seems outlandish to me.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2016

Covering up with hats, shirts, staying under the beach umbrella?

Coconut oil only has an SPF of 4.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2016

If there is a natural remedy that works, I'll be using it. I use vinegar and essential oils for cleaning all the time.

That being said, I wear Neutrogena sunscreen every day since I burn in about fifteen minutes. I've used Banana Boat and Bull Frog before too but like the Neutrogena stuff better for every day wear.

I'm not even willing to try natural sunscreen due to my propensity to resemble a red crayon in a short time period. I hate feeling my skin sizzle in the sun like a slab of bacon.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2016

I asked my dermatologist what is best for sun besides slathering sunscreen on. He be out of the sun in the peak hours. He said slather the sunscreen and wear a hat. I said ok... I try to do all of those things. He said really just try to be smart about it.

Oils would worry me some in sun.. I remember people putting baby oil on to get a better tan... lol. Never tried anything else. We are pretty much a banana boat team. Lol

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  6. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Aug 25, 2016

I think sunscreen is the best, and even I have heard that coconut oil is a natural sunscreen.

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 25, 2016