Skin Care: Antiaging or Antiblemish???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 20, 2010

Hello!

Yes, I will in advance, wholly admit that I have too much time on my hands already this holiday break... BUT!

I am seeking skin care regime advice. I am 32 years old and live in a warm climate (Southern Florida). I have no idea if my skin is aging. I think it's still combination like it was in college... Really, no clue.

I have some small crow's feet around my eyes, but that's about it for wrinkles, I think! :D

In the past I was an avid Clinique user, then switched to Origins. Going to the counters in the mall is fun but they truly try to sell you LOTS AND LOTS of extras...

Microdermabrasion??? Maybe that should be a spelling word next year? Who knows.

Anyway -- any good skin care regime recommendations? I am thinking of trying out Philosophy as a student gave me a tiny purfume called "Amazing Grace" (her name is Grace!) for Christmas and it smells sensational...!

All I want is a cleanser and moisturizer with SPF. I don't wear much make up usually, but maybe I need a toner too. I have not worn or used toner since I used "Sea Breeze" in highschool.

My teen years were marked with acne, but Accutane cleared that up by age 17 or so.

Any skin care product recommendations would be helpful! THANK YOU!

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Dec 20, 2010

My skincare products are all from the drugstore, so they're pretty inexpensive, and they work great for me.

I use the St. Ives Green Tea foaming cleanser (but if you don't have blemishes, you might want to find something milder). I LOVE my daily moisturizer, too: it's from Biore. It comes in a small green pump bottle and smells so clean, and it has sunscreen in it.

However, the one product I would definitely recommend to anyone is the St. Ives microdermabrasion scrub. It's very inexpensive for an exfoliating scrub. I use it about twice a week, and I can't live without it.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2010

I use Philosophy and have done so for years. I have toned that down quite a bit due to a lifestyle change regarding the type of products and ingredients I use, but I still use Purity every day as far as cleansing is concerned.

I was quite obsessed with all of Philosophy's Graces, but again, my use of those products has decreased though I still love them so.

Oh, don't get me started on Sea Breeze. When I was probably twelve or so—back when magazines always had several mail orders for free or nearly free sample items that would take a lifetime to arrive—I sent two of my precious dollars to Sea Breeze for the sample offer they were advertising in Teen Magazine. Never came. Crushed. :haha:

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2010

You can learn a lot on the Cosmetics Cop website. I've been using Paula Begoun's products for several years; they're simple and well-priced. I like that she lists all the ingredients in the products. Here's a link to a page where she compares department store products to equally good drugstore products: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/how-to-find-department-store-doubles-at-the-drugstore.aspx (For some reason I have to use Internet Explorer to get to her site--Firefox won't work.)

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 20, 2010

My skin is very oily & sensitive. I've tried a lot of things! If something doesn't break me out, it's a miracle!

I can actually use St. Ives facial scrub. You need a good scrub a few times a week. For a regular cleanser, I've currently been alternating using Origins Zero Oil cleanser in the tube and Neutrogena's Rapid Clear Oil-Eliminating Foaming Cleanser in the tube, but I like the Neutrogena one better. In the past, I used Johnson & Johnson's Clean & Clear Deep Action Cream cleanser in the tube for a looooooooooong time.

Regarding antiblemish, after washing the face, I just started using a paste mixture of sandalwood (powder) & rosewater on the face. I heard about it on Dr. Oz. It's supposed to help w/ oily skin & clear up blemishes. You can leave the paste on overnight if you want & rinse it off in the morning. So far, I've been putting it just on my forehead & chin & leaving it on for 30 min to an hour.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 20, 2010

I love Philosophy products. I use them all. Purity Made Simple is great for everyday cleansing, and they have a microdelivery wash I use a few times a week.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2010

I'm also a Philosophy fan; I use Purity, the Exfoliating wash, Hope in a Jar and Eye Hope daily. I started using Philosophy a couple of years ago and the clarity of my skin has improved immensely. Also, I had a bad reaction in the past to some cleansers (a bad rash that was like the worst sunburn I ever had) and Philosophy is very gentle and a little bit of it goes a long way (which makes every bottle and jar of seem to last forever).