skin cancer??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

So, more than a year ago, I got a small zit above and to the left of my lip. I don't really pop zits unless I really need to. This one never got to that point and I just left it alone. It never seemed to heal all that well though. It left a small red sore spot. This happens though, and they usually take a while to heal and go away. Well, this one began to turn dark. It looked like a sore. If I squeezed it a bit, some blood would ooze out. The sore would heal, and then get dark again. Why didn't I realize that this could be skin cancer??? Just now, I squeezed yet more blood out and it just dawned on me. Probably because my dad was also just diagnosed with skin cancer. UGH! Now, I'm a wreck!!! I've had this more almost a year, and it hasn't grown at all. So, could it be skin cancer?? From what I read, it seems to be. I'm going to go to the doctor as soon as I get off of work on Monday. I don't have health insurance and I make very little, so I need to work. Plus, I've had this for a year. What's another work day? Good think I get off at 1:35 right now.

ETA: Hmmm, so I asked my mom about it. She said that it doesn't really look like skin cancer. I still don't get why it doesn't heal then. I wonder, since it's been a year and it hasn't grown, could it still be cancer??? Anyways, I think I'll still go make an appointment on Monday. Won't hurt to get it checked out.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 19, 2009

Get it checked. I know not having insurance makes going to the doctor a financial burden, but hearing the doctor's opinion will be worth it.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

Getting peace of mind if it isn't skin cancer will be worth the financial burden. Getting it treated early if it is skin cancer will be worth the financial burden. In our town there are clinics that are affiliated with the hospital but charge according to income. You may check and see if that exists in your town. Either way, good luck and I wish you well.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

I have had several pre cancerous spots removed. Each one was a spot that looked like a blemish that just wouldn't go away. The spot I had removed this summer I was convinced was a curling iron burn. Most of the spots have been removed in the office and I don't even pay a copay since they've done a procedure. the only spot that required surgery to remove was one that kept coming back. Please see someone to check it out. Since it' hasn't grown, it's probably not bad cancer (or cancer at all) but skin cancer does tend to run in families. Best of luck and keep us posted.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

I get basal cells. I have one now. I go to the doctor, he looks at it, pulls out this little CO2 gun and freezes it and that's it. Money wise, it shouldn't cost more than a doctors visit.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

I am a bit worried because I've had this basically for a year. Since, I've had this for so long, if it were cancer, wouldn't it have done more damage by now? Anyways, I hope it's nothing serious.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 19, 2009

One of my co-workers had the same thing and it was skin cancer. She has waited almost a year too because she just didn't realize that it was anything other than a blemish and was actually seeing the dermatologist for something else. She did have to have it removed and now (3 years later) she had a small spot starting again and they just gave her a cream to put on it daily for 2 weeks and it went away. While I would have it checked out ASAP, I would not get myself too worked up over it.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

Let us know how it goes.

10. glenn

glenn Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

Don't go crazy worrying over it. Get it checked out now. You will be more at peace even if you have no insurance.

I had this growth on my face that no-one could see, but me...it was closer to my ear, but on my face, and most of my hair covered it. I finally decided to see a dermatologist after a year of worrying about it and it growing.

I went it and it was nothing more than a pore clogged up and growing, blah, blah, blah. :) He froze it off (or whatever the terminology is) and all is well.

Get it checked out. :)

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

Since there was a small zit there, I wonder if that is something similar to what you had. Anyways, I'm glad yours turned out to be nothing big. Everyone around me is telling me that it's probably something silly and nothing to worry about. :rolleyes: Easier said than done.

I'm wondering, what WOULD happen if someone had skin cancer, the non-dangerous one, and you didn't notice it for a whole year? What would happen to y9u. What if you NEVER noticed it? Are there people out there who have skin cancer and never noticed it?

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

Okay - deep breath. Get it checked but don't worry too much. I had something that sounds exactly like that which turned out to be a sebatious cyst (no idea how to spell it). Basically, the duct got blocked and it builds up. Not serious so I will hope that is it.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

The basal cell ones are the ones I've had removed and they are very slow growing. I have had them for a year where they didn't grow visibly. It is possible that they are larger under the surface though so you don't want to ignore it either. It could also be nothing:)

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 19, 2009

You'll know soon enough. But the waiting to find out can be awful so stay busy this weekend even if all you do is have a stay at home movie marathon.

16. Apple125

Apple125 Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, only it was on my neck. I thought it was a blemish, and I ignored it for probably nine months or so. It would sometimes seem like it was going away, and then it would crust up and ooze blood. Finally I went to the doctor. It was a cancerous basal cell carcinoma. The doctor removed it in his office (he didn't freeze it, he used a scalpel and cut it out), and I wore a band-aid for a few days. That's been eight years and nothing else has come up. Don't worry about it, but do get it checked out. Oh, and it only cost whatever the doctor's visit was. Let us know how it works out for you, and good luck!

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

Thanks guys!!! I've been trying to stay busy, but it's always in the back of my mind. I've been studying for the science CSET, did some calculus homework, worked at my new house, and then I've been watching youtube videos on how to organize your closet (for when I move into my new house :)), and I've also been doing some clothes shopping on Old Navy's website. Trying to stay busy!! Oh, and I've done three loads of laundry (just mine, it's been almost a month since I've done it last)

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

Mine too! I was rather shocked, but very thankful since I have no insurance and paid out-of-pocket. :)