Skills needed when entering first grade

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kidsalot, Dec 10, 2005.

1. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Dec 10, 2005

What skills should a child have when entering first grade (both academic and social). I teach in a full day private kindergarten and believe I am preparing my children for first grade but also know there are areas that curriculum doesn't cover. Thanks!:)

3. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Dec 11, 2005

kidsalot...
    I think it depends greatly on where you are. Each school district has different expectations of where students should be when entering and leaving a grade. I tought K last year and we wanted the students to have a fairly good grasp on their letter sounds, be able to count out loud to 30, recognizethe numbers 0-10 (or 0-20....lol)...recognize letters...etc. Along with that, we (well I wasnt good at this....lol bad year being tossed to the wolves (aka, the kids) after expecting to teach fourth grade.)....we worked on simple sight words and some simple sentences.

4. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Dec 12, 2005

I teach in massachusetts. What social skills and/or self help skills should the cildren have? It seems that my group this year is soooo needy and can't or won't do anything on their own.

5. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 12, 2005

I taught first grade last year and being able to sit for longer periods of time would be great. My kids didn't know how to sit for longer than 15 minutes at the beginning of the year. It would have been easier if they also had some clue on how to do things on their own. I had a group of 12 students and most of them had no idea how to come in the room and unpack their bookbag, hang up their coat etc. I even had some parents helping their kids each morning, this defeated the whole purpose. If my 12 had had these basic school skills, I could have worked on the lack of academic knowledge instead of teaching these skills all year long.