Sixth Grade- Self Contained or Departmentalized

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DocuiSedecim, Jul 3, 2009.

1. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

I was wondering how many sixth grade teachers were self-contained. I work at a small school and have a self-contained class in an elementary school setting. This will be my second year teaching, and I have successfully transformed the worst behaving class in the district into the best behaving.

I credit some of my success to the manner in which I treat the students. I demand respect (Yes Sir, No Sir, Please, Thank You) and I receive it. I also treat them as though they are still elementary students and not middle schoolers. My students, who come from economically disadvantaged families, seem to respond well to it.

I was curious as to how other teachers approach their sixth graders. How are your rooms decorated? Do you use themes? What are your rules/consequences?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

I don't teach 6th grade but hats off to you for commanding respect and doing a great job!!!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2009

My 6th graders are departmentalized in an intermediate setting where the school is 3-6.

5. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

I teach 5th grade, but they so desperately wanted to be treated as older students. They give me a lot more effort when I don't treat them like babies. On consequences I really try to make it fit the crime. If they draw on the desk then I make them clean all the desk in the room during their time ( before school, after school, etc. )
    I have said this a hundred times, and I am sure people are sick of hearing it, but I am decorating my room like a coffee shop. I am going to cover the bulletin boards in burlap and use tulle as border. I will have a couch and special lighting. My motto will be " a fresh place to start".
    My 5th graders are sick of sticker charts and prize boxes. I do things like, earn a basketball time, dodgeball time, etc.
    They still like themes, but a little bit older themes. I did math bootcamp one year and they had a lot of fun with it.
    I know I teach 5th, but by 2nd semester they might as well be
    6th.