Sixth Grade Room Set-up

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by megpfleg, Aug 26, 2004.

1. megpfleg

megpfleg Rookie

Aug 26, 2004

I am a new sixth grade math and science teacher and was wondering if anybody has ideas for an ideal room set-up. What kind of themes are appropriate for sixth grader?

3. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 28, 2004

Sixth graders can start to work independently. You should have some times when they can work on their own, under your supervision, so you can monitor them. You should arrange desks in a way that you can move around the room with ease. I would suggest assigned seats, just to limit talking and such.

Also, as far as room decor, bright, cheery posters work for any age group. I also teach junior high, and I try to have a mix of content-themed posters and ones that promote characteristics such as integrity, honesty, and so forth.

Another thing I do is to have designated areas in the room for various things, so they can take care of some issues without asking me for every little thing. There is a bin where they turn in absent or late work, so five different kids aren't giving me five different assignments all at once. I check the bin daily and take care of it, and the kids know that's where the papers go. Any supplies they might need for class are marked, labeled, and placed where they can access them, so when I announce they need colored pencils or a blank sheet of white paper, students take care of that on their own; I don't have to pass out all those things. There is also a designated spot where homework is always written and left for the entire day-- in my case, it's the back chalkboard. The kids can come back and check that before going home if they need to, and there's no excuse for them not knowing the assignment.

Also, set boundaries. When I first started teaching, I took over mid-year, and the kids had basically had a series of subs before I was hired. They were used to having no real rules, and I had to point out areas of the room where they had access-- their desks, the supply area, the bookshelves, etc. I also had to point out that my desk, file cabinet, closet, and certain drawers were off-limits. It might seem obvious, but every classroom is set up a little differently, and each teacher does things a little differently, so it's not always clear to the kids what's OK and what's not. Once I explained to the kids the "off-limits" areas, I didn't have any problems with them sitting at my desk or anything.

Finally, it's your room, and since you have to spend all day there, make it yours! Add plants, photo frames, and little touches that make it "yours." The kids will like seeing that it's a welcoming space, and they'll be interested in seeing pictures of your family or pets or whatever.

4. megpfleg

megpfleg Rookie

Aug 29, 2004

andreaL

thank you so much, i started to arrange the room already, and it was nice to know that i was on the right track, it was a great help to get the reassurance that i was right.