Six year olds stealing!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 18, 2007

One of my kids tried to steal my Mickey Mouse post its today!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use them to write good notes to kids who are having a good day. Oh my. I saw her swipe them off the overhead cart, and she put them under her skirt. I stood right next to her and she just acted like she didn't just try to steal something of mine. I couldn't believe it. Ugh. I completely nailed her, which was awesome! I'm glad I saw. Hopefully it will knock some sense into her. Last year a student stole $15 letter stamps from my room. This kid was a different story though. He was from New Orleans, he had nothing that was his own. He was going through rough emotional issues. However, this little girl is a spoiled you-know-what. Why does she have to take my stuff!? Jeezzzz.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2007

I had one boy steal from me this year (actually, I had several this year), but this one boy in particilar stole one of my math teddy bears. At first I didn't know that it was him. I found a teddy bear outside my door and thought back to how it got out there. I eventually deduced that he may have been the one. Next morning I said, I won't get mad, can you please tell me the truth. Did you take this teddy bear? He said yes. He said that his aunt collected teddy bears and wanted to give this one to her.

I also had another student steal pencils and my white board markers. Dont' know how many he stole before I caught him red handed. Miss Kirby, I know how good it feels to catch them red handed. Boy did I get on him!!!

Then, I had another student steal a glue bottle. A student saw him and reported it to me.

All of these thefts occured this year!!! 5 and 6 year olds!!

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 21, 2007

Well . . . . at this age they are still at the stage of developing a conscience. This is our time to help them develop that conscience for sure! But honestly, some of them don't get that taking that little thing is way wrong. They are too young. Don't get me wrong please - they deserve to be corrected and have that little conscience "developed" right then and there. But it is kind of like lying at that age - they don't have it all down pat. I think we have many opportunities to help train their consciences, a vital part of their education and growing up.

5. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Apr 21, 2007

I had a girl who stole candy off my desk just this week. This was not the first time that this happened. She has stole some other things previously. It was at the end of the day that she did that, I asked her where she got the candy and she didnt want to tell me so she rushed off. I later went to find her and asked her where she got the candy and she told me off my desk. I don't know how to teach them to not do these kind of things. What do I do?

6. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Apr 21, 2007

I had a student(Q) this past week to steal a light up ring from another student's(M) back pack. When I confronted Q about it he said he didn't steal it. He had emptied his pockets to show me what he had, some odds and ends and two tiny batteries! He insisted that he got the batteries from his cousin. M found part of his ring later and after everyone left I found the broken ring in Q's desk minus the batteries. Yet Q looked me in the eye and said I didn't take it. This boy is sneaky and will lie and steal. Yes, he is from a broken home and will do anything to get attention.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2007

That's really sad. One of the boy who stole from me and another kinder teacher will also look you in the eye and say no.

Well, to deal with stealing in my class, I just talked to the student and tell them that it hurts me that they will take my things that I buy with my own money that's for the whole class. I will then talk to the parents and let them know. Usually, these two things will help. So far, I've done this with all three students who have stolen from me and there's been no more incidents. For one of the boy, after he stole from the other teacher, he was moved into my classroom and stole from me. I restricted his privileges and had students get materials for him. Once I gained his trust again, I allowed him to get his own materials. So far so good.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2007

My Kevin stole one time, and it was during a time where his teacher was trying some behavior modifications with him. He was being frequently assessed by different people the school brought in, and stealing was his way of acting out at the pressure of being watched so much. This teacher was splendid, and got him back on track.

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 7, 2007

I've had a few kleptos. Mine are 4s though, so I can't say I'm very surprised. I've had kids with little bits of play doh in their pockets, or my sticky tac (hot item!). They always get ratted out. BUT I have two boys who, on separate occassions, have tried to clean me out! One of them another boy busted because all of my stuff (fancy clips, my pencil, chalk, magnets) was in a see through, netted part of his backpack. The other suddenly was in a corner of my carpet with his little butt in the air, clearly covering something. I asked him what he was hiding and he tried to keep it from me. I pulled him up and there was a fork from our kitchen set, one lego, a snap block, and my chalk holder! They are so funny with their excuses too, "Oh these are mine, I have all this stuff at home." Another time he took the plastic cell phone from my doctor kit. I saw it coming in and out of his pocket and mentioned to him that I hoped it would wind up back in the doctor kit when we cleaned up, and he told me it was his. I meant to check the kit but did not get too. I forgot to check with his mom at the end of the day, but she brought it back the next day and said he had told her that I had taught them their phone numbers during the day and gave everyone a cell phone so they could practice as homework. She thought the story seemed a bit far fetched! Pretty smart kid...

10. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

May 8, 2007

I have a student that incessantly annoys other students by taking their things to "look" at them. Then when the other students try to get the object back, he runs around the room. I tell the kids to let me handle it and not try to get it back, that the teacher will handle it. nothing with him is enforced at home. He's been sent to the office, called home, sent notes home, etc. Nothing changes. He incessantly takes things from my desk, gets into the treat jar and takes starburst. Today he took my reward stickers from my desk and put them in his backpack. His answer is always, "it's mine, i brought it from home!" Uuuugghh!!!!!!!! It's like pulling teeth with him all day to get him to listen. The only thing that helps is firmess, counting, and starting to call home. Then, he starts stomping around, and says "fine!" "gosh!" I don't know what to do with him! I'm so frustrated. I've had 4 kids like this in my class this year and I'm a first year teacher!

11. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

May 8, 2007

What is up with that?! Of course, the parents probable say that they don't act that way at home...
    I work in an inner city school where my first graders are trying to have sex, so stealing is the least of my worries. However, I heard that one of my students from last year plays "watch" while his mother steals from the store. She was caught at least once and is now spending time in jail. She has five children(15, 7, 5, 2, and 1). I'll get the kindergartner next year for first grade. Better lock it all up!!

12. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

May 9, 2007

we had a child around that age steal from the cafeteria. they apparently caught him red-handed. his mother went in there later and scolded them for "accusing" her son of stealing (eventhough they caught him with the stuff he stole.)

denial anyone!?!?

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 9, 2007

Well, sure!!

Those rules are for the other kids, the bad ones. Those kids should be thrown in jail and we should throw away the key.

With her child, it was just a misunderstanding. How could any rational adult think otherwise???

14. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

May 9, 2007

this kid is in all sorts of trouble already..he is an only child and given everything he wants. he flat out told his teacher that he doesn't get in trouble for his behavior at school.

can you wonder how he will be as a high school student?

15. cleopatra

cleopatra New Member

May 9, 2007

Hi

Im really sad to hear your reaction to this. I was once 6 years old and SPOILED and I also took a snow man sticky and got NAILED by my teacher. You know its really sad to hear a teacher express that way. You for one apply for this gob because you have to like working with kids and this well is part of the process some times kids don't think they just react and we are their to guid them in a kind way so they like school from the beginning its just really sad for u to express your self like that. I think their is no difference from a New Orleans kid to a spoiled kid either way you r their to help and not even to express your self like that behind doors

16. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

May 10, 2007

I am sorry that you were offended the first time you read and replied to a post. Perhaps this forum is not for you. It is nice to have a place where we can go to give advice and to gain insight into other educators' environments. If this means telling it like it really is, then so be it. There are no privacy laws being broken. I don't believe anything was said about New Orleans. But, it is funny that you would bring that up. Most of the students we received from there were behavior problems and the teachers were constant complainers that they were worked too hard in our district's schools. Just stating facts...
    Also, these students that consistently break the "law" at an early age(stealing, fighting, drugs, guns) will probably end up in jail or dead when they get older. These students, for whatever reason, have anger problems or they are influenced by their environment. However, we are given choices in our lives and have to accept the consequences for our actions.:(

17. peyton1

peyton1 Rookie

May 10, 2007

I know I know!!!

I know that it really makes us mad as a teacher to have a student steal from us. It upsets me too!!! That is my money walking out the door, but remember we are talking about six year olds. They are impulsive period. From the inner city to the richest neighborhood kids are kids! I know I know I live in a dream world! Ha Ha! :D