Six week Summer Break - what to do?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by JustineCase, Jun 16, 2008.

1. JustineCase

JustineCase Rookie

Jun 16, 2008

Okay, I love that I get to vacation like the kids do. I've already been to one conference, and am thinking about signing up for another.

I've been out for 1 week, and am already thinking about going back to my classroom to rearrange the room and clean out the file cabinets and closets. I never had a real chance to do it this last year as I was running around like a chicken without a head... just trying to survive my first year.

My file cabinets still full of material from the teacher who retired 5 years ago, who also happened to be my senior English teacher. Wow, right?

And I'm already thinking about how I want to present my curriculum for next year.. a complete revamp becuase I hated how I did things this past year.

BUT! I also want to relax, but feel guilty when I do. I'm getting married at the end of July, so I gotta work on that, too. LOL

I wish we still had the standard 3 month summer break. That'd be enough time to unwind and still have time to plan....

3. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 25, 2008

Congratulations on your pending marriage.

Since work will always expand to fill the time you put into your classroom, why not do this? Give yourself a certain amount of time to work in your room - say one or two weeks. When you go into work, prioritize what you need to do. Do what needs to be done and then enjoy the rest of your vacation.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

I agree with Chef Dave. You might also try making a list of everything that you need to do in the class. Arrange it in order from most important to least important. Try not to let yourself get off task.

5. MsVee

MsVee Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

You sound just like me! I have a short break, a classroom full of old stuff from the last few teachers, and I basically made it through last year by frantically planning everything at the last moment almost all year long. I only had a few days to plan and clean up the class before school started, and it went on from there.... Whew!

I pledged to take a vacation (I need to visit family members), so that cuts my break down even more. Now I'm frantically tryig to get the classroom set up and think about (plan?!?) units, management ideas, and centers before school starts up in mid-August.

If only I had a few more weeks or months!

Sorry... not a lot of ideas, mainly commiseration. :)

6. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

I too can commiserate! I feel like the summer is speeding by and I am not EVEN where I want to be as a new teacher. I taught last sememster on the fly. I planned for this summer to be my curriculum planning, file sorting, classroom decorating, and educational book reading time. I am overwhelmed!

I had to tap into the thread here on organization. I am checking out the FlyLady's teacher organization plan to try to keep me sane...

Good luck to all of us :) I get really bent when I hear people complain that teachers have it easy because they have summers "off" - whatever.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2008

I brought all of my files home and I plan to organize them. I also have 10 binders of worksheets, lesson plans, lesson ideas... that I haven't touched this year b/c they are so organized.

8. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Last year I brought all my files home and organized and revamped a lot of stuff (which finishing my Masters and tutoring full time)....So this year......I am doing next to nothing...tutoring 10-20 hours a week, spending lots of time at the pool, reading lots of novela, and doing some hobbies. Our last day this year was June 6th so Iv'e been out for a month and yesterday was the first day i thought of getting stuff ready for next year. I won't touch a single thing that is teacher related until Aug. 1st, that will give me 18 days to get things together before my first work day.

With all the work we do during the year I'm making sure at least 3/4 of our summer break is completely mine!!

9. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Hmmmm.... Weird! It posted 4 times and so I deleted one and now they are all gone! Anyway... I can completely identify with you! Last semester I was working full time, working on the weekend, and taking classes as well as planning our wedding. Then after we got married and back from the honeymoon, I really haven't had much to do! It's hard to go from super busy, to WOW I have time to do what I want! I say, give yourself some time to relax, because let me tell you, the wedding planning will get stressful as it nears! Give your self some battery charging time and then finish the wedding touches and the classroom organization. The classroom organization would be a nice distracter for the anticipation of the wedding.