Situation with para's job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Mar 9, 2014.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2014

When I was meeting with my principal for my evaluation, she told me that the district's plan for next year is to have two full time teachers and no para for my program. Currently it's just me and my full time para. They had talked about going to 1.5 teachers and a para, but we are getting so many new kids that they feel a .5 teacher is not going to be enough. My principal made it clear that this was not "public knowledge" yet.

I feel absolutely horribly for my para! She has literally been in this same job as the sped para for about 20 years. She is excellent at her job. She doesn't do any of the paperwork or meetings or anything obviously, but she's capable of giving instruction as well as any teacher. I have almost 50 kids on my caseload this year and I truly think it would not even be possible to run the program without her! She's already mentioned next year several times and it makes me feel terrible. My P said that they will "try" to get her a position in the building as a title or gen ed para, which I know my para will be unhappy with because she won't get to do much instruction like she does now. Our other paras are mostly in roles where they just supervise kids, do lunch/recess etc. duties, and run assessments. We are a tiny district and the other elementary schools are less than half the size of ours, so there aren't positions like hers in any of the other schools that she could go to.

I am torn because morally I feel like I should tell her, but I know that if that got out it could get me in big trouble at school. If it were me, I would feel so betrayed that a friend knew and didn't say anything to me. My principal loves me, but being new to the school I know I have to be careful. WWYD?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2014

I wouldn't tell her, but I might ask the principal to give her a heads up.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2014

It is not your place to tell her. I wouldn't.

5. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 9, 2014

I'd tell her.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 9, 2014

It isn't your place to tell her. Your administrator should tell her.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2014

You are new to the school. The information is not for all to know right now. The P said he will try to find your para a position...let it be.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 9, 2014

Also, the very reason why your administrator probably hasn't told her is because nothing is set in stone yet. Telling your para would accomplish nothing but to get everybody riled up... AND you'll lose a lot of trust from your principal.

9. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Mar 9, 2014

I agree to an extent, though the only reason I could see telling her is so she has more time to look for other positions just in case.

10. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Mar 9, 2014

It's only March; bring that concern up again with administration when non-certified positions are being posted for the next school year (around here, that's generally not until May).

What happens if she finds and accepts a new job, but the administration was able to make something work that she'd enjoy?

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2014

I wouldn't tell... I don't think.

12. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 10, 2014

I might say something to the effect of "Suppose you lost your job, what would you do? Do you have a resume? What other schools would you want to work at?" This way, you're not telling her anything, but you can help her recognize that she may not always have her job and to start thinking of backup plans.

13. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Mar 10, 2014

My system starts this garbage at this time every year. They get everyone all in an uproar and then very little changes the next year. Keep your mouth closed so you don't earn a reputation. Your paraprofessional will be just fine.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 10, 2014

I'd sit on it for a while....maybe encourage my P to talk to her when he/she knows something in stone. Not worth the risk!

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 10, 2014

As painful as it is, I would keep this quiet. However, I would tell your principal that you feel that a para this loyal does deserve to hear it from the administrator if she is losing her job. Perhaps lay on a little guilt for making you keep this secret. The sooner, the more quickly the para has of finding something else.

16. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014

Yea, that's subtle. If someone said something like that to me, I'd assume that I was done for and start searching for answers.

To the OP, do NOT say anything. It's not your place to share and you may get her upset for no reason at all. At the very least you'll make your P very unhappy.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

Don't say anything. The situation may change by next year. The P should not have shared that with you. He put you in an unfortunate position. If you must, talk to the P about your concerns.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2014

:agreed: