situation questions in an interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by aorth83, Mar 19, 2007.

1. aorth83

aorth83 Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

I have an interview at the school that I am working at on Thursday. Currently I am a second grade teacher but that was only temporary because a lady took the year off for maternity so i guess technically i am a sub but i am wasn't hired as one. I have a mentor and everything. Well anyways one of the teachers that will be interviewing me told me to be prepared to answer situation questions AND be able to tell them why I teach the way I do. How do you prepare for situation questions? I was also wondering if anyone can direct me to some good information on the benefits of four block and four square writing. These are both really big with the school I am working at. Thanks

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 19, 2007

situation-type questions I have come across in interviews:

*A child tells you that he/she will be going home alone after school. (When I asked for more info, I finally got that they're looking at a young kids... K-2). What would your course of action be?

*How would you tell a parent that their child isn't doing well?

*After you've assigned work, some students (or A student) are staring at you and unable to work because they don't understand what to do. What do you do?

Does that help you get a feel for things they might ask?

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 19, 2007

I've had:

*As your class breaks up into groups to work on an activity, you notice a student has pulled herself away from the others and is crying. What would you do?

*A parent calls to tell you her child is bored in your class, and says that he does wonderful things at home that would qualify him for your district's enrichment program. However, what you see at school is not the same as what the parent sees. How would you address this with the parent?

And I've had the same one as clarnet73 - the assigning work/kids are clueless one.

Best of luck!

5. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 20, 2007

Hi, You can google the Four Blocks Literacy Model and get some info that way. The Four Blocks has four blocks to it
    1. Guided Reading
    2. Self-Selected Reading
    3. Writing
    4. Working with Words
    I have tons of books on the subject if you have a specific question. Hope this helps. I am from IllIllinois also and my kid's school uses this. I can get back to you on the 4-square writing as I am drawing a blank. I think it is basically 4 squares on a piece of paper with a topic or word in the center. I can't recall how it is done though. If you need a breif descrip on each of the 4 blocks, let me know. I am also looking in Illinois in the Roscoe area. Are you close to this part of Illinois also?

6. biiiidy

biiiidy Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

I know when I interviewed, the committee actually had me participate in a role-play (as the teacher, of course). I think they wanted to see if/how I could think on my feet. (I got the job).

I have since been an interview committee member, and have not yet seen another role-playing scenario.

If you demonstrate a good knowledge of best practice (and how you would apply it in the scenario), I think things shall go well...

good luck!

7. aorth83

aorth83 Rookie

Mar 21, 2007

Oh my goodness what a coincidence, I live in Rockton!!!!

8. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 21, 2007

I sent you a private message