Situation Critical: Job options/direction

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SuperSide, Jan 18, 2009.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

I have posted here before wondering what I should do about my challenges with my teaching degree.

To sum:

I graduated with my B.ed in 2005. Getting the degree was even an ify, as my partner teacher did not think I was "cut out" for teaching. I got the degree, but with a terrible "evaluation".

I am pretty sure that evaluation/my reputation at my last year cost me several jobs. Job where I nailed that interview and we even set a start date, only to have to offers taken away after my background check.. (Getting called on the start date and being told that everyone was sick so I shouldn't come in. But to just wait until I hear from them to reschedule. No call. No returns. No Answer. These always happened after my background check.

*My background check should not have turned up anything illegal, in no way would I ever harm a child. It could only have to do with my relationship (negative) with my partner teacher and the principal at the school.

Now my certificate is about to expire. I am trying to get it extended because I have been teaching in a none traditional classroom, but I have still been teaching.

However, as the economy is taking a turn for the worse, I really need to start working on getting a good, decent paying job. Neither of which I have right now.

So, do I renew my Teachers Certificate, even though I have been rejected at every step, and at every interview I've gone to? (My teaching job now, I did not get as a result of an interview. I volunteered there first.).

*It was a dream of mine since I was in High School to teach. Now I feel that eventually, if you hand onto dreams too long, the dreams just become delusions.

I do not see myself becoming a teacher. Because of my personality and outside influencing factors. There really is no point in me trying to explain how I was wronged, or how it isn't fair. I am where I am, and I have to except that.

So what do I do now?

The only other use I've found with my degree is working with the Disabled, which I do not like. And the pay is horrible.

I have been looking at Online Degrees, and have found a few programs that I would be interested in taking.

Human Resources (Online degree). Master of Business (Also Online) Public Relations (certificate). Or Personal Financial Planner (6 month Designation).

I need a career. Something I can live off of. Something I can start a family with. Seriously, what should I do? How do I plan this? How do I know where to go?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

I wonder if there's a career counselor in your area that you might be able to talk to?

It sounds like teaching is not for you, since you've said "I do not see myself being a teacher"... I would encourage you to do something that you both enjoy and will be employable in. A career counselor could help you with this much more than anyone on this site could be.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck though!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 18, 2009

I think now that you have been out of school for almost four years I would leave that teaching experience off your resume and add your new teaching experience with new references.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 18, 2009

Super,
    Do not get a Master's of Business if you do not have a lot of professional experience working in the world of business. You will not be able to get an entry level job with a masters in business, and without significant experience, you will have no chance of competing for jobs against experienced candidates.

So basically, you'll be begging someone to hire you for an entry level position, for which they will feel you are overqualified because of the masters degree. It would be better to work in the field of business full-time for 5 or more years, get that experience, and then seek the masters.

As to the others you mentioned, again, do you have experience in these fields? You mentioned becoming a Certified Financial Planner. Is that something you would enjoy doing? Do you like crunching numbers, comparing figures, investing funds, memorizing complex legal regulations, etc.? If so, then maybe you should consider it. If you aren't sure, you need to get out and work at an entry level job in that field to find out if it is for you.

Otherwise, you will have more education, but may find yourself in another field that you either don't enjoy, or for which you are not well-suited.

A visit to a career counselor (not one associated with any career college) might be a very good investment at this time.