situation at the high school

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rlbbas123, Jan 18, 2007.

1. rlbbas123

rlbbas123 Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

Since we returned from the christmas break I have subbed for the high school several times. First instance: guys in class kept attempting to carry on a casual conversation. I felt annoyed by this and kept directing them to take their conversation in a different direction: thus,l didn't want to discuss anything with them. Then, next day as I was preparing for a class period, I heard a student say as he passed by the door: Hey, she's subbing again, your awesome , I couldn't help but turn my head and role my eyes. I know this isn't drastic, but then today. A student in one of my class periods goes, Hey do you know so an so, I thought no, I really don't pay that close attention to anyone's names unless they are a huge "problem" student, ya know the ones that also disrupts class, anyway he goes on to say: He thinks your hot. My response was, I didn't think that comment was appropriate and did not want to hear anything like that again and to take his conversation into a different direction. My question is this, should I have gone to the principle, or left it alone after I told this student I didn't want to hear that again. I guess I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable. Any advice. Has anyone had this happen to them.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2007

Now he's been warned. From this point on, it follows channels, whatever they might be.

I'm guessing you don't go straight to the principal though. Is there a dean? Could you ask another teacher about how things work?

4. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

You felt embarassed and uncomfortable? Having a student discuss gossip that you're "hot" could be considered sexual harassment. I would discuss it with the principal before the situation grew anymore intense.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2007

It's going to become a game to the kids, unless, you squash this one fast. Show them that they can not treat you this way. Bring it to the attention of the dean/principal.