Sitton Spelling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.F, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Ms.F

Ms.F Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

My district uses Sitton Spelling and I was wondering if anyone else uses it.

I would like to know how you guys do the "stretch it" activity. Do you have them write in a journal, in groups or pairs? Also, how do you have them make the sentence longer? I have been having my class stretch sentences by telling who, what, when, where, why and add adjectives.

I'd like to know more.

3. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 6, 2008

We just started using Sitton spelling this year. I have the activities (like stretch it, add it, etc..) in a center called Word Express. We did the activities together for the first 3 weeks and now they do them on their own.

I do the same as you for the stretch it activity. If the sentence is "She has some toys.". They have to tell me who has it, how much is some, what kind of toys - using as many descriptive words as they can. With a possible result of "My favorite aunt Faye (she) has four (some) soft, stuffed animals (toys)."

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 6, 2008

I do it several ways- I put it as homework (along with several other Sitton Spelling activities), we do it as a class, and I have it as a spelling activity during reading.

5. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

I love Sitton Spelling! I always did the express activities in class. With the stretch it, I taught how to stretch out the sentence using a rubber band. I found that many of my students just wanted to add way too many adjectives or other information to the sentence or even turn it into a run-on sentence. I showed them how we can stretch a rubber band, but if we stretch it too much the rubber band will break. This helped the students tame their sentences.

Also, I had the students keep a Word Study binder. We divided the binder by the different Sitton units. They kept all their papers in there. This was much easier for me than a journal. The parents liked it too. It was easy to see the progress the students were making.

I hope this helps!

6. Ms.F

Ms.F Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

Thanks everyone!

7. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 7, 2008

JMichelleD

I am interested in your word study binder. Can you give more details as to how you set it up. I would love to incorporate this, as I also dislike the journal.

8. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

It took me a little while to figure out the best way for my students to organize the binder. We divided the binder by units. Each unit I gave the students a pink 3-hole punched sheet. They wrote "UNIT ___" (whatever unit) on the sheet. Each unit was organized from the first activity we did to the last one, so the last thing in each unit was the cloze assessment and the words to learn list. Also, at the very front of the binder I had the students put their cumulative words to learn and super speller lists. If we did any activities or word sorts, I would print off a sheet or word sort organizer for the students to keep in their binders. I liked this because I could ask the students to pull out, for example, their long-a word sort later down the road after we have already studied it. I also think the binder served as a good portfolio. It was a great piece to share with parents. It showed how the students growing, or struggling.

Hopefully this helps explain it a little better!

9. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 7, 2008

So, all of the activites that your students completed went into the binder? Did you put the stretch it, add it, etc.. activities in there too?

I like your idea (if I am understanding correctly)

10. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

Yep! I kept everything in the binder. We would empty the binder when necessary. I think last year we only emptied it twice, midyear and the end of the year. That is how I did it, but you could just keep what you think is important.

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2008

I looked up the Sitton Spelling and I would like to know more. Is it research based? What is the highest grade level?

12. Beatifulchaos

Beatifulchaos Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

Is Sitton Spelling Phonics based?

The reason I asked is because I have students who barely know their letter sounds.

I am going back and reteaching phonics in 3rd grade. I hate word walls. I have NEVER had a child become a good speller or reader as a result of using one.

In my opinion, the system makes teaching reading WAY harder than it needs to be. We do all this hocus pocus stuff, and I don't see that the kids are great readers or spellers.

I think we need to get back to the basics. Letters have sounds. Those sounds blend to make a word. Tell me why you have to memorize a whole list. Wouldn't it be cool if we actually were allowed to TEACH them how to read instead of memorize.

Only 15% of the words in the English language are irregular and MIGHT need to be memorized.
    Hmmmmmmm

13. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 9, 2008

WaterfallLady - yes it is research based, however I do not know the highest grade level. I do know our third and fourth grade uses it too. You could probably google it to find out or something.

Beatifulchaos - I don't think it is phonics based per-se, because it doesn't say that it is. However, we do spend time on how vowels sound and how words sound together. We also spend on the irregular/uncommon sounds.

The purpose of Sitton Spelling is for kids to learn the words and NEVER forget them (which is quite unlike the normal spelling programs). We have only 5 words a week, as opposed to the 16 that we did before we started this program. And, after we study those 5 words, they can absolutely show up on a future test. Which means they have to remember the words. Their spelling words are high frequency words, which all the more enforces that they must spell them correctly as they use them on a daily/ weekly basis.

I like it so far - but I have not used it for long.

14. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 9, 2008

It looks like it goes through grade 8.

15. Beatifulchaos

Beatifulchaos Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

I haven't found that kids retain much about the spelling without having a good foundation in the sounds.

I have used 5 words a week. I have used 10 words a week. I have used no words a week. They learn them for the test,and then ususally they are right back to spelling their "thair".

I believe about has been a high frequency word since 1st or 2nd grade (I taught both). I am now in third. I know they have seen it a million times, but somehow they can't spell about or because (another high frequency word).

Hmmmmm. You know you can "sound out" about The ou phoneme has a specific sound. :)