Sitting on the cold floor

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kass, Sep 20, 2010.

1. kass

kass Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Hello everybody!

I need a piece of advise. This year my daughter went to Kindergarten. I found out that about 20 minutes in the mornings and during a dance class they are sitting on the floor (not on the carpet). I'm very concerned about the issue. The room where the kids are sitting is a big hall, doors are constantly open. I asked the teachers why the kids are on the floor. They told me it is easier to control them while they are waiting for a teacher.

Is this practice common? What solution I can offer to the teachers? Should I buy a mat? Can my child use a mat during these "waitings"? Maybe you can suggest what kind a mat will be appropriate?

That you. I feel really upset. After a first week of school my kid got a running nose and a cought. I do not want her to sit on the floor during winter months. She can get more problems after that than just a flu. Maybe I am wrong, but help me please to find the way out of this situation.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

I think that colds are caused by viruses or bacteria, not from actual cold stuff.

4. kass

kass Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

I know what causes colds, the question is - can a child bring a mat? Can a child sit on her own mat? What kind of mat it should be? Is this common practice in the kindergarten class?

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2010

I would not really worry about it. Caesar is right, colds are caused by a virus not by sitting on a cold floor or even getting wet. I would be more worried about a carpet because they can trap all sorts of things and are harder to clean than a floor.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2010

I would just ask the teacher if you are that worried about it. You could get one of those kindermats. Those are usually the ones that they use during naptime.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 20, 2010

OK--Kindergarten teacher here...I don't have room to store a mat. So anything you send needs to fit in her backpack and be her responsibility. Our kids -- all 600+ -- sit on the floor of the gym in the morning waiting for school to start.

I would suggest a baby blanket or a towel. They are small and take up less room. Also maybe a light weight jacket she can sit on? I promise that if this the only concern you have about her school day, the school is doing great.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 20, 2010

I would avoid any types of mats--- they collect germs easily, she might be teased by other students, others might want to take it away from her (teasing), or she might end up having to carry it around with her (you can't rely on the teacher to carry it around).

I highly doubt her cold came from sitting on the floor--- I'm reminded of an old Russian grandmother saying about how you'll get sick if you sit on a cold surface. (Not to mock you, but it just reminded me) Her cold probably came from what is on the floor getting on her hands and then her touching her face.

I do really like the small blanket that she could store in her bookbag (something like 12" by 12") if you really do not want her sitting on the floor.

How does she feel about sitting on the floor?

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2010

sometimes its hard to let your baby grow. But 5 year olds are not babies. sorry. Trust me chances are your child picked up a cold from touching thousands of spots filled with germs in the class,outside the classroom, cafeteria, etc.

Yes sitting on a gym floor is normal practice for kinders.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

When I get to my homeroom, 40 minutes before homeroom starts, I inevitably find high school freshmen sitting on the hallway floor, doing homework. (Yes, both the library and cafeteteria are open at that point in the morning.) I usually invite them to come into my room if they'll be more comfortable.

More often than not, they decline.

As to "Can she bring a mat?" I would imagine you would have to ask her teacher, as the answers probably vary widely.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 20, 2010

I'm a kinder teacher. Yep, it is common practice to let kinder kids sit on the gym floor or even hallway floor.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2010

It was common when I was in school, and I know that many elementary schools now have their bus lines organized in the gym...meaning students sit on the floor and wait until their bus is called. Depending upon the schedule, this could be ten to fifteen minutes.

And no one ever complained sitting on the cold, hard floor for hour long special activities and programs...in fact, I remember being in sixth grade and jealous of the little kids who got up-close seating. :)

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

Forgive me if this isn't my business, but is there something about your daughter's medical condition that makes sitting on the floor more of a problem than it might be for other kids? If so, then I think I would speak to the teacher about it and see what accomodations might be made.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 20, 2010

I will echo the comments of the teachers here. I think floor sitting is protocol in many schools across the country.
    I am sorry you find it upsetting that your child is on a cold floor. I think it would be preferential to standing in a quiet line for an extended period of time, don't you? I would imagine your child actually enjoys sitting with their peers, as do most children, and that perhaps your concerns can be allayed. You can rest assured, knowing your child is growing up in a caring environment where the teachers ensure that each child that waits has a space dedicated only to them and that no students are shoved or pushed.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 20, 2010

If you would like to buy something and her teacher is okay with, you might want to check out a foam mat (http://www.greatmats.com/children.php) which is easy to clean and not too heavy :)

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 20, 2010

I wouldn't be too concerned. It's normal practice here and even I sit on the floor, even the cold, hard gym floor on a regular basis. Frankly, my bones suffer a lot more than the children's do, but we all survive. To provide chairs to all the students in the morning would be ridiculous.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

It's commonplace for kids to sit on the floor at schools. Heck, I'm often on the floor with them!! If you are worried: Don't send your child to school with bare legs...leggings, sweat pants, pants will keep the 'chill' off.

18. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Sep 20, 2010

Maybe I'm just a mean teacher, but there is no way I'd allow a student to bring a towel or a mat just to avoid sitting on the floor in the gym or in line. I have million more pressing issues going on during the day, and I'm not going to add towel duty to my list of responsibilities.

19. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 20, 2010

eh, big deal. Kids sit on the floor all the time. They don't care.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2010

In the morning before school starts, advise your daughter to take her coat off and sit on that, or sit on her back pack. As for the dance class, that's part of the class, so I wouldn't say anything.
    If you're concerned about it, make sure she is always wearing pants or tights.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 21, 2010

When I taught summer school this summer we were sharing a school. There was no carpet in the room we were in. We all sat on the floor every day in a circle for a read-aloud or an instructional acitivity (and yes, it was cold-the air was not controlled by us and it usually ran at 60 degrees). The kids didn't mind, I didn't even mind and no one got sick.

I understand your concern for your little one, but trust us, she'll be fine! :)

22. kass

kass Rookie

Sep 21, 2010

Thank you for a calm, peaceful comment. I'a a teacher myself, so I have some knowledge about our schools. I do not mind if my kid is sitting on the floor during the dance class, she will be moving. But I do not see a poin when 5 year olds are sitting in a cold hall, between 2 open doors for 20 minutes just waiting for a teacher. I advise my kid to sit on her jacket , hope she'll be OK.

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 21, 2010

Kass,
    I am sorry that you feel (and maybe a little bit correctly) attacked, but I think you are not thinking it through. Maybe your problem is not the floor so much as the doors. Have you thought about a solution that would take care of the problem to share with the school.

I know as a parent it is hard to sometimes see the big picture--especially when we are standing in the middle of it. I think that the best solution is the jacket or a towel, but if this truly concerns you...call the principal and offer a solution.

Our children sit on the gym floor waiting for us each morning. Some sit there for 30-40 minutes depending on what time their parents drop them off. The gym is hot in the summer time and cold in the winter. I am sorry that they are there, but that is the best place to house a large number of kids without wasting a lot of teachers or support staff on duty. We can watch almost 600 students with three people in this situation, where the playground would need 6-8 people. This is the best way for us to start our day without a lot of waste of human time.

As a teacher, you know people that complain without a solution are not truly listened to...so I suggest that you visit, talk to teachers, and come up with a plan before talking to the teacher or principal.

24. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Sep 21, 2010

If that is the question, then you need to ask the teacher / school.

I would say it is pretty common for kids to sit on the floor.

25. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2010

We have the same sort of dismissal routine. The kids sit on the floor in the gym near open doors, no carpet. I think it's pretty common. I would think it's the norm. I don't think she'll catch a cold because of the situation (but I do think she's probably gonna catch a lot of colds this year in general - I have one right now!).

Talk to her teacher. We can't really tell you what solution that teacher will allow. She may say to bring something to sit on, she may not. I know that our school would say not to, because when they call that bus, the kid has to be up and ready to go within seconds, and extra "stuff" would be a hindrance...but who knows what her school will say?

I know it's harder on teacher moms than other moms because we are so familiar with schools that we all feel (myself included!) that we know what "should" always happen. But if we aren't right in the thick of it, in that school, in THAT classroom, we really don't know all of the circumstances. And it's hard to remove yourself that way....trust me, I've been there!

26. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2010

I had to ask my kids last night because I never really paid attention to where they sat. They sat on the gym floor after they were dropped off from PK-8th. As they got older, they had fewer colds and other illnesses but this was due to building up immunities so sitting on a cold gym floor did not give them an unusual number of extra illnesses.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2010

Why are they waiting for 20 minutes? Seems to me either the classroom teacher brought them too early or the dance teacher is running late. Neither of which is productive use of school time.

28. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 21, 2010

Is the 20 minutes right away in the morning before the kids can "officially" come into the classroom?

If this is the case, I have two suggestions.
    1. I would say to make sure she is dressed in layers to stay warm by the door.
    2. If you send something for her to sit on during this time, I would suggest sending a towel. It's something she can manage herself and it can fit in her backpack easily...plus...you can wash it! :)

The kids at my school have to wait outside in the morning before school starts. It's that way in the winter too unless the weather is too bad. We have a group after school that has to wait about 20 minutes for the last bus, and they wait in a line on the floor. I'd say it's a pretty common practice and each school is, obviously, different.

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2010

Sometimes, if there's a pressing matter I need to take care of at the end of recess, I have my first graders sit down in line.

On asphalt.

30. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2010

As a parent, I would have no problem with that either because I am sure that at 6 years old, my son had sat on worse than asphalt.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2010

Yes, our kids sit on the floor at times in music, and for reading they sit on my floor. I will even sit on the floor if I need to spread my work out.

32. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010

:whistle:

33. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2010

I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in... a gym (wooden floor) is warmer than the "tile" floor that is on top of most cement in the schools. I know when the students came in early to school...none of them sat near my room where there was an entry way or by another enterance. Yes there are times when we sat on the floor... I really can only remember during tornado drills & the children did if they had an indoor recess because sometimes they would play a movie. In most of the rooms there is a carpet area for the students to sit on.

Although sitting on the floor may not cause a cold, I can certainly understand that if she does have a cold you don't want her on the floor.

34. kass

kass Rookie

Sep 22, 2010

Thank you all for calming me down :)

I still do not like kindergarten kids sitting on the cold, tile floor, when there is no reason for this. I asked you because i did not know was it only our school exercising this routine or it is quite common. I found out that it is possible to bring kids to school later, than it is marked in the schedule. When I asked why nobody said that , they told me this is a "precaution", so that they are sure that all the kids will be on time. Silly, right?

So thank you all again!