sitting on the carpet

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by deweyteach, Sep 9, 2010.

1. deweyteach

deweyteach Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

(First year teacher here) I love read aloud time but I have a quandry: should I/ can I require that kids sit on the ground (a carpet) when I read to them? I have one student who is very heavy and complained that her "feet fall asleep" when she sits on the ground. Thinking that sounds like a medical situation, I figured I had to allow her to sit in a chair. Since she was sitting in a chair, I didn't want her to be singled out so I told students, "sit where you don't cause a problem for anyone else." Nearly half of my students chose to sit in chairs yesterday. We spent more time in read aloud negotiating with making sure folks could see and moving chairs than on reading. I want to go back to having kids sit on the ground unless I get a note from home. Does this sound mean? What would you do?

3. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

What if she sits with her legs stretched out in front of her?

4. deweyteach

deweyteach Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

That's a good idea. Sounds silly but that's the kind of simple solution I can't seem to come up with on my own these days.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 9, 2010

Mine have always sat on the floor during read aloud and it works well. I occasionally let a girl sit in a chair if she has on a short skirt, but usually they wear shorts under their dress.

6. corney

corney Companion

Sep 10, 2010

Don't know if this is a doable solution, but see if you can get a couple of bean bags or pillows and scatter them around the floor.. Granted it may be a frenze at first but it may help the one girl not feel so out of place by sitting in a chair. Set down the rules, no running to a pillow or chair, first come first serve and no arguing.. if any of these things happen it all goes away and she sits in a chair and they sit on the floor..

7. cjw4ua

cjw4ua Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

My kids can choose to sit in the floor or desks (as long as they are close). My desks are in a U shape behind the carpet, so they all face the front. I haven't had any problems, and the kids love being able to move around during the day.