"Sitting" on an Administrative Certificate

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Johnjoel, May 25, 2015.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

May 25, 2015

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to gather some thoughts regarding the idea of waiting to pursue an admin. position after having earned the certification last year. A lot has happened since I've been certified; my wife and I were married, we bought a house, planning on bringing kids into the picture, my parents are having marital problems, etc. I've been thinking of just letting the grass grow under our feet at the new house and enjoying teaching 3rd grade (which I still love). However, it is frustrating to see people younger than me (I'm almost 34) snatch up admin. positions while I enjoy the moment. I haven't been teaching as long as you might think; next year will be my 7th year.

Do you think it might hurt my chances of getting a job if I wait a few years to pursue? My thought is that LEAs may see my certification and realize that I wasn't able to get an administrative principalship role in 5+ years. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 25, 2015

Granted I'm not an administrator or on a hiring committee I think being honest and explaining circumstances should work. Sometimes things come up and plans change nothing you can do about it. I would be more worried if you a had job totally outside of education:2cents:

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 25, 2015

I feel more years in the classroom can make you a better administrator. How can you effectively observe, mentor, and offer advice to teachers if you don't have a solid background yourself? I've never thought 5 years in a classroom was enough to become an administrator.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 25, 2015

Just because you hold the certification it doesn't mean you've been pursuing a position.

I think more years teaching is a definite plus.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 25, 2015

One suggestion if you choose to wait a few years would be to start doing some admin-esque PD when you get closer to being ready (so a year or two before, try taking a graduate course, etc). That way, you can explain the circumstances that led to you waiting, but also show that you have been serious about wanting to go into administration and remaining up to date with practices.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 25, 2015

You can explain that in your cover letter. I think your future teachers would appreciate you being in the classroom longer. I have had admins who spent the minimum time in the classroom and so far, I've preferred those who were in the trenches longer. They seem to have more understanding of the challenges faced.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2015

34 would be very, very young for an administrator here. Varied, extended experience is very important for an effective administrator, in my opinion. Continuing to gain classroom experience, and keeping your hand in leadership PD, will only help.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 25, 2015

I've recently applied to an administrative credential program. I'm 53 and have over 20 years in the classroom.

Personally, I think my age and experience in the classroom will be my biggest strengths when I hit the administrator job market. "You name it, I've seen it" will hopefully be an interview line that lands me a job.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2015

Administration openings are scarce here, so it is not uncommon for someone to be certified 10 or more years before using their certification- if they ever do.
    When I subbed right after graduation, I often subbed for teachers who were acting principal for the day. (The P was transitioning to the administration office.) There were at least 4 administration certified teachers on staff.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 25, 2015

I was 31 when I applied for my current position. I had 8 years of classroom experience.

I know people who had their admin credential for many years, but opted not to use it until their last few years before retirement

One of the pros of being a younger administrator is energy level. Many of the older administrators I know always seem worn out! :(

12. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Jun 4, 2015

Thank you

Thank you for your great replies! I just found out today that our current AP left after one year to become a principal for another district. Of course, he is deserving and I am happy for him. It still is frustrating to see some who are so young (he is 35, a year older than me) get administrative positions and then so many have to go through interviews with so many districts before they get hired. I want to let the grass grow under my young family's feet, but when I see younger people get hired for those positions it makes me feel the pressure to apply as many places as I can to get an administrative position.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 4, 2015

Everything happens for a reason. When interview panels decide on who they're going to hire, they look for the person who will be the right fit for a particular site/role.

Yes--he's 35 and moved up the ranks quickly. However, you said he's deserving, so I'm sure he wowed the panel with his accomplishments.

I was 30 when I applied for a VP position here in my district. I didn't get the job. I applied again the next year (at age 31) and was chosen by the panel. The first position I applied for was for a middle school VP. I wouldn't have been a good fit for that role. However, when I applied the 2nd time, it was for an elementary site. I'm sure the powers that be realized that I'm an elementary person because they extended the employment offer the same day.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 5, 2015

I got my admin credentials in 2008, but I "sat" on it until this year. Not a single person asked me a thing about it in any of my interviews. They just wanted to know what leadership positions I had held on campus.

15. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 5, 2015

I agree with volunteering to take on administrative duties to gain experience. I'm pursuing my credential and have had several opportunities to volunteer. When I start interviewing, I will feel confident because I have experience in several areas of administration.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2015

I have interviewed many people for principal positions and the length of time between earning a credential and deciding to use it has never come up. What will help you is If you start taking leadership positions in your school. Tell your principal about your future plans and ask them for more administrative like duties and to be your mentor. The interview committee wants to know that you can handle the job, so they will be looking for experiences that mirror administration and not classroom duties.