Sippy cup at the airport incident...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by TeacherGrl7, Jun 17, 2007.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 17, 2007

Have you all heard of this incident with the child's sippy cup at the airport last week? I heard about it and just found the video of the incident online. I watched it and pretty much drew my own conclusion based on what I saw and what I have heard, but I'll hold off on my own judgements and let you all just see how it panned out on camera. Interesting stuff I think.

Here is the article for those of you unfamiliar with the story. At the bottom is a link to the video, the second video is the one where you really see what happened.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070617/ap_on_re_us/airport_sippy_cup

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 17, 2007

One more person who considers herself above the rules. . . .

This is all over the internet right now and few people are finding her behavior even close to proper.

She's just another entitled fool who believed the rules should not apply to her.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 17, 2007

I'm glad that someone agrees! When I first heard about this on the radio I admit I was tempted to be on her side. Big bad airport security going after mom and her little one is quite a headline. But I heard there was video and waited to see it. When I watched I was shocked. Not at her actions, but by the fact that she clearly was lying when she told "her side" of the story. It was evident to me that she threw the water out of the sippy cup and was not at all happy to comply with these people. I understand her frustration at the rules, they are stricter and stricter these days. But the comment I heard her make, "A mother and her baby? We're a threat?" bothered me. In these times, yes, if that mother and her baby break the rules, unfortunately they are a threat. We live in a new world and I for one would rather security make a big deal over a mother and baby and find that it really was just water than have them say, "Nah she's not a problem," and have something horrible happen.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2007

I don't know if she considers herself above the rules.
    But have you ever had to deal with TSA? I find most of them ignorant, unsophisticated and they have no people skills.
    Maybe it is just the airports my family and I travel through.
    Many seem under educated or not trained to deal with the public.
    I understand they are the first line of defense but that does scare me.
    It seems to be a conferential issue whenever you have to talk to them (Power trip?),
    I know travelers are stressed and don't act rational while being there but come on some people skills please, they should be trained to deal with the stressed traveling public.

:eek: Or put them in fatigues and let them have M-16s everyone respects a M-16.:D :D

I thought it was a nice touch for the TSA guy to point out every drop on the floor.

BTW I actually down loaded the video and you really can't tell if she dumped or spilled it, it is funny how the power of suggestion works some say she spilled and people believe that and some say dumped and people believe that, it looks inconclusive to me. remember this is jumpy surveillance video not like "The Terminal" with TOM HANKS http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362227/

no water or sippy cup was spilled in this post

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2007

I must have no patience, a short attention span, or vision problems. At what point (minutes & second wise on the video) does she spill/pour the water? I seriously don't see it. :(

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2007

The time stamp says 2:00:50 when it starts
    Right about 2:01:00 it looks like she is trying to open the cup
    This all happens behind the TSA guy.
    It looks like she is shaking the spilled water off her hand (to me it does).

no water or sippy cup was spilled in this post

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2007

Ridiulous. What a bunch of Barney Fifes.

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 18, 2007

At the risk of sounding completely naive, that name definitely sounds familiar to me but what is this referencing?

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2007

Andy Griffith's depity you know Opie and aunt Bea

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2007

I haven't been on a plane in at least 9 years. (Not out of fear, just finances.)

Even I KNOW that you don't bring liquids on to planes, and haven't been allowed to since, what, last summer??

This woman is not smart enough to parent an 18 month old.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2007

I just happened to research this last night as I will be flying next week. You are allowed to bring liquids on a plane but it has to be 3 ounces or less and it has to be in a container that holds 3 ounces or less; so you cannot bring a 3 ounces of water in a 2 cup water bottle. All the liquids that is brought on a plane has to fit in a 1 quart plastic bag that is able to zip close and you have to put the bag under the x-ray separate from your carry on/hand bag.

** To me, it looked like she poured the water on the ground. It did not look like she was even holding the sippy cup like she was going to attempt to drink it.

13. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

The part that I don't understand is that after you go through security you can buy as much liquid as you want to take on the plane. So she could have dumped it out and bought new once through the security. JMO :)

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2007

Ok Guys I do very well when traveling but some people get stressed, add a toddler and TSA employes (see earlier post on how I feel about them) you have traveler melt down. TSA employes are great if you fit their narrow average traveler profile if you don't it is "your fault." Why doesn't TSA have a disposal container at the check point to take care of the water excess. The TSA is famous for "stupid" knee jerk rules remember the breast milk capper?
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002-08-08-breast-milk_x.htm
    It is too bad that terrorists have created this problem. The math of it is if 100 terrorists come over to bomb us and we stop 99 of them we still fail. and they win with only a 1% success rate.

15. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

Frankly, I don't care how "stressed" traveling makes us. It doesn't give us the right to throw a temper tantrum and then go on the news and lie about what happened. Particularly not in this case; it was water for Heaven's sake! If TSA tells you that you either have to dump out your water or leave the cup, you dump out the water...you can get some more from the water fountain or restroom sink for free.

As for TSA, yes, they can be brash. If I had their job I'd have a nasty attitude, too. Think about how many times a day they have to remind people to do the right thing: take off shoes, dispose of liquids, take your laptop out of the case, etc., etc., etc... It must get VERY old. Add to that that many people treat them with very little respect (because, after all, they're just TSA employees!) and it's no wonder they come off as less-than-sweet.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2007

One it is their JOB to deal with travelers but in a manner that defuses a problem not add fuel to the fire. Like as a teacher we have to deal with students... etc.

I have seen traveler melt down many times and I have seen it handled well and many times I have seen it handled poorly I have written TSA about both. when I have complained I receive a form letter back when I prase I get nothing. My MAIN beef is I do not see trained people in TSA. Public safety is a sensitive issue and this is just one more thing we will have to deal with as Americans and we will come out it in the long run as a better nation.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2007

We must also remember that the a Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Screener) of the TSA is a Entry level position (first time employment) you are not required to have many work skills The skills listed in the job description reads like any job description.

job description:
    https://tsacareers.taleo.net/

18. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 18, 2007

My biggest concern when watching the video was the amount of time the toddler wasn't really being watched. He was standing beside the stroller and could have easily wandered off or been carried along with the crowd. It is not easy to travel with kids, and I can understand the frustration of the mother. It would seem like a good idea to me to go to a private room to ensure the safety of the child. That was a really long time for him to be unsupervised.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2007

Thanks, IrishDave, for the time information. I viewed it several times and really can't make a decision I'm completely comfortable with. There does seem to be some shaking involved...but I don't know! My heart did race just a bit when the child started wandering off and she had to speed to get him...

More importantly, how sad it is that TeacherGrl didn't know the deputy. :)

20. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

This is how I think of this situation: If I were a mom flying alone with a young child I would find out all the rules before I went. I would want to make my trip as easy as possible. Unless she never watches TV, reads a paper, or listens to the radio I can't see how this mom did not know that we are living in a time of terrorists and airports are strict. She should have known what could or could not be brought past security. I am traveling with my 85 year old mother-in-law next month and when I purchased the tickets I checked to see what she could bring on the plane since she will be bringing along medicine. It is up to each individual to know the rules and guidelines if they decide to fly. I do not feel sorry for this mom, she was not prepared.

21. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

I have been in an airport one time, about 10 years ago. I have never flown in a jet. Even I know you aren't supposed to have liquid at the airport. I don't know the specifics of the rule, but I know it exists.

I don't know if the TSA people were rude or not. I'm not sure that's the point. Sure, they should have some basic people skills, but someone being rude to you doesn't give you the right to sink to their level or disobey rules that are in place to keep all of us (including her) safe. Just my thoughts! :love:

22. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I do feel sorry for the mom. Who knows what she might have been going through at the time? Maybe she was prepared but messed up on one thing. It's hard to be perfect. When I am with my mom (84 and on oxygen), I always feel prepared to take her on an outing. Believe me, it takes my sister and me both to do the job, and then we mess up on something. I still think that the airport people could have taken the mom aside (maybe to a private room) so that the situation could have been more comfortable.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2007

The way they handled this young mother with child was uncalled for. They are in the business of dealing with the public.Public servents, no less. It's like us working with kids all day long, repeating the rules and dealing with some pretty extreme rudeness at times. These people acted like idiots. The fat guy with his stupid paper towels strutting back and forth in his black shiney shoes. Barney Fife, all of them.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2007

But she is an adult and she made it known that she was a secret agent, so they most likely placed higher expectations upon her; more so than hopefully an average citizen.

I really don't understand why she took her child out of the stroller. She said he was upset but if he was upset why did she just set him down instead of try to comfort him -- some type of body contact? I was stunned when this child walked away and nobody noticed. The mother went and got him and then just set him back down again, but she did not make any attempts to contain him (put him beside her, hold his hand...).

I also saw that extra shake to make sure the cup was empty after she "accidently spilled the water".

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2007

The whole thing is a set up to make people think that security is tight and they are doing their jobs.

26. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

Hey Grammy, you could be on to something...

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2007

I rarely trust the media with all their hype. There has been so much negative publicity regarding airport security, who knows what they are pulling to fool the public these days.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2007

Didn't see it, couldn't call it but I seem to agree with the publicity side!

Nobody is entitled to special treatment on a plane...unless they are a terrorist!

Parents and kids should be treated with respect, but it's hard to do that when you are being a a-hole.

did i say that??

I remember Barney Fife (Don Knotts), and I think he was posing as a flight attendant when I demanded my 2yr got a seat even when I didn't buy her a ticket! Back then if you had an empty seat, anyone could sit in it. Why would I keep my child in my lap with TWO perfectly empty seats next to me?

of course, that was before 9/11, so I was entitled to act a fool.

wouldn't think of it now. take off shoes, open bags, do whatever the maroon-suit guy says to get on that plane.

29. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 20, 2007

Grammy, I love the Barney Fife statement. You dated yourself and me!!!!

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

The Original Single Dad

That Andy Griffin, he gets my vote for best dad on father's day!

The original single dad! Goin fishing with his son.

Whatever happened to his wife, Opie's mom anyway??

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2007

She died in the fifties you could not have a divorce on TV

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

Boy we are old Dave.

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

All this hubub over water???

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 20, 2007

Personally I think it is sad to have gotten to a time where we have to dump an innocent child's drink. You know that saying, "Don't take candy from a baby?" Many moms are territorial about their baby's needs trumping other issues.

Think about this: How many times have we moms gone into a store that says "no food or drink allowed" but thought it perfectly okay to take in a bottle or sippy cup? Even in a library. Look around. Granted this is a high security issue, but not every mom is going to see things in quite that light. Don't mess with their babies!!

At the same time...water??!! Milk maybe....

35. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 20, 2007

how selfish of her...and I hate how the blogger who ran with the story made an issue of a child crying about his sippy cup...kids cry all the time over simple things. Certainly national security trumps a kid crying.

36. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 20, 2007

As a third time mom I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. As a first time mom I'm not sure... I'm telling you..new moms especially can be funny creatures.

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

yeah, and don't forget terrorist are pretty warped people.

these are folks who like blowing themselves up, for the cause...remember?

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

My thoughts exactly, thus the Barney Fife statement. Ridiculous I say, ridiculous.

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

I have the same issue with being overly paranoid while my daughter thinks she lives with Dorothy in Kansas (don't all Kansas posters hit me at once)

All her life, I had to tell her to lock up, put up, close up stuff. She is so irrelevant to theft. Thinks everyone is honest. Until it happens, then she is horrified.

I hate to say, well what did you expect?

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 20, 2007

Unfortunately I don't disagree with the reason that we need to be that tight even over a baby's drink. I'm just proposing that there are many personality and mindsets out there and I can see where someone wouldn't be looking at it from that perspective as much as they would from a overprotective, fed up and tired mommy perspective.

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

so it is deeper than rules and regulations...it is a mindset...a parent's obligation to a child, a child's basic needs.

And a person's job, to give you a hard time.

A bus driver once made me get off because I had some McDonald's. I knew the rules, no eating on the bus. But Jeez, I waited 45 minutes, my food was practically leftover status by then.

I guess he was a stickler for rules, kicked everyone off the bus, and took off. So we all had to wait another 45 minutes.

My food was still cold.

Need I mention I've seen bus drivers eating on the bus. :(