"Sink or Float" -- Ethnic/Cultural relations?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Giant Panda, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda New Member

Mar 20, 2008

First and foremost, I wanted to say what a great community AtoZTeacherStuff has here; very impressive. :)

I am currently enrolled in an Early Childhood Education course and I have to create a science lesson plan for children who are in preschool. I have decided to go with a "sink or float" experimentation, but when it comes to "Ethnic/Culture" in the lesson plan outline, I'm not really sure how to incorporate it.

Should I ask the children to bring something appropriate (not valuable) from their ethnic background to see if it will sink or float?

I am just completely dumbfounded when it comes to this section. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 20, 2008

Sometimes you really have to reach to include a theme or concept into a lesson plan.

I think that including something from different cultures is the key here. But, I think you should have subtle items. The items just need to be familiar to a culture--how about chopsticks, etc. If you are having trouble, take a look at your classroom and observe the children.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 20, 2008

Panda,

I think you need to look at this a different way. You don't have to always include ethnic/cultural items in order to address ethnic and cultural differences.

Let me explain. Perhaps for your sink or float demonstration, you are going to use a cork, a heavy washer, a piece of driftwood, and a rock.

Many students may have never seen a cork. (Corks most often come in bottles of wine, and if wine is never served at a home, or only twist-bottles are purchased, a child may have no idea what a cork is. A simple way to address ethnic/cultural differences is to bring a bottle with a cork, and show it to the children, demonstrating how the cork comes out, that the contents (obviously something other than wine) pours out, and how the cork is replaced to keep it fresh. This would address ethnic/cultural difference that you lesson is addressing.

A heavy washer might be a strange object to an apartment dweller who rides the bus, goes to the laudramat, and doesn't have tools and hardware. A picture of how a washer is used to hold a bolt in place would help them to understand what this strange, unknown object is. Maybe one of the tables in your classroom uses a washer. That would help children see that it really is a part of their life.

A child who lives far from the waterfront may have never seen driftwood, or understand why it feels "lighter" than other branches he or she may have seen. A description of what driftwood is would help. Let them feel the driftwood and then a regular branch and tell you how they "feel" different.

Hopefully, everyone will know what a rock is. :)

PS - I loved the idea of seeing if chopsticks float. (They should, of course.) What a novel idea.