Single teachers, how do you live??!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, Jun 17, 2011.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2011

Another LI-er!
    are you Nassau or Suffolk?

2. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2011

Yellowdaisies- I feel your pain with the housing! I'm nowhere near a point in my life where I'm ready to buy a house, but I'd never be able to afford one in this area, even if I married someone who made more than me. Our cheapest houses are around 700k, and those are few and far between. Most are a million or more, and these aren't mansions or anything- just normal houses! My parents own a house in the midwest that they paid 140k for just about 10 years ago. It's an all brick ranch on 2 acres of land. Many of these 700k or even million dollar houses up here aren't even as nice as their house is! That's one of the reasons I don't plan on making my area my permanent home!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 19, 2011

If I were you, I'd stay at home. I'm a very independent person and when I went back to my hometown to do a one-year program last year, I insisted on living on my own. I hated my roommates so much that I found I spent much of my time at home anyway. :lol: I regret not saving that rent money, especially since I moved to Chicago last summer and my cost of living went up dramatically.

Chicago seems slightly cheaper than New York. Our one-bedrooms run $900-1200 without utilities. Right now, I pay $895 without utilities, but I also have a parking spot included. (This is rare.)

Is it a bigger expense than if I had a roommate? For sure. My last roommate and I paid $1150 for a huge 2 bedroom/$575 each. So my living expenses have gone up $400 a month or so. But I L.O.V.E. it. I love my place and my neighborhood. My roommate was a little nuts, so I don't miss her at all. I'll never go back. First year teachers make about $50,000 a year here, so I will be all right. If the union strikes for our 4% raise I'll be even better. :whistle:

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 20, 2011

Stay at home, give yourself a budget, and save money. Fully fund a Roth IRA and save money for the future.

You don't have to decide right now what you will do for the whole year. Apartments are available all year long. You can move into one anytime. I wouldn't want to move into an apartment for the first time during summer vacation--too much free time to become lonely.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2011

Speaking from experience Choice "C" is the best
    Of course Choice "D" might be a good one :lol:

d) Get married

Like I should talk (Married more times than I'd Like to admit)

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2011

Code:
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]
    Cost of Living Indexes	
    [COLOR="White"]........................[/COLOR]Phoenix[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR]New York
    Overall[COLOR="White"]...............[/COLOR]91[COLOR="White"]............[/COLOR]167
    Food[COLOR="White"].................[/COLOR]104[COLOR="White"]............[/COLOR]129
    Housing[COLOR="White"]..............[/COLOR]76[COLOR="White"]............[/COLOR]250
    Utilities[COLOR="White"]...............[/COLOR]93[COLOR="White"]...........[/COLOR]149
    Transportation[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR]101[COLOR="White"]...........[/COLOR]100
    Health[COLOR="White"]...............[/COLOR]100[COLOR="White"]...........[/COLOR]117
    Miscellaneous[COLOR="White"].......[/COLOR]96[COLOR="White"]...........[/COLOR]117
    [COLOR="White"]...............[/COLOR]100=national average[/COLOR]

7. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

I am moving out of my parent's house because I NEED to. I can't stand another year there, especially as a new teacher about to teach high school. I grew up in this community (San Francisco suburbs) and I would feel weird living at home with parents and working with students who also live at home with parents just 10 minutes away.
    Yes, rent is going to be expensive (cheapest 1 bedroom you can find around here is 1100-1200 a month) but I feel like it's something I need to do. Even if I don't put away a TON of money right now, I don't spend like crazy, and teachers in my district get paid relatively well.

8. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jun 30, 2011

I always forget how different the US culture is from place to place. I love it! Out where I live (near San Francisco) barely anyone I know would think twice about it. My 24-yr-old twin is living with a 33-yr-old man and a 30-yr-old woman. None of them knew each other before moving in but they all get along. I definitely could never move in with strangers!

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

Rethink living with parents, unless they are criminals, I'd stay with them just to save money. Think about it all the fringe benefits you have, a washer and dryer, you don't have to buy appliances and even if they charge you rent it will be cheaper then what you find in the bay area I bet

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

It's really none of your students' business where you live/who you live with! :)

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

When I was a young teacher, living alone, I worked extra jobs to make extra money. I could certainly make ends meet on my salary, but I couldn't afford any extras, like you were saying about your photography hobby and travel. So, I tutored 2 kids a week, an hour each ($50 per hour per child is the going rate around here, nowadays....$100 extra per week!), and then, in the summer, I would teach summer school, or nanny, or work at a camp, or something. Since we get paid year round, that whole salary was extra. It usually paid for my vacation at the end of the summer, right before school started back again.

Summer school school was the BEST gig. It only runs the month of July, so you get a couple of weeks off on each end of the summer, it's only half days, and Fridays it's closed! They pay the teachers hourly at a rate of $40 per hour. You'd work four hours a day...so in a month, you'd make about $2500 for half day work! Keep in mind that this was on top of my regular income....And the work was easy, peasy.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

I live alone, but I'm in a reasonably COL area (of course, that's reflected in my paycheck :(). However, I'm in a small town, which means my options for rental are very limited. So, I spend a little bit more on rent to live in a nice duplex instead of the low-income apartments. Yes, my rent/utilities eat up a big chunk of my income, but I'm VERY frugal on other things (I don't really eat out, etc.) so I have enought money to travel, splurge once in a while, etc.

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

Suffolk, nearish to the border on the south shore. My boyfriend is further east on the north shore, so I kinda live in both places!

14. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 1, 2011

I know I could save a lot, but I lived alone in college and know I was a much happier person when I lived away from my parents. To me, spending the money is worth it so I can be happy. Living with my parents I can't have friends over without worrying about disturbing my parents, and it's a little awkward when my boyfriend comes to spend the night. I found a place for $1,100 a month, which is decent for the Bay Area, and will be about a third of my monthly paycheck. As long as I create a budget and stick to it, I'll be fine. I have a lot of friends who are software engineers and the like in the Silicon Valley. They get free breakfast, lunch, dinner at work, plus free exercise classes. Too bad schools (and most companies, really) can't afford to treat their employees the same way!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2011

I should be getting a SLPA (speech-lang path asst) job for the upcoming school yr. I'm unmarried & don't have kids, so I know I could definitely get a nice apt in my area or neighboring area. However, I'd love to buy something, so I'm thinking if I want to start out renting just to see if I like the area, I could rent right away, but if I want to buy, I need to save up at least a yr or two, but I don't want to stay living at home until I'm almost 40! No way! :eek: (I know, I've gotten off to a late start w/ my job situation.)

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, starting to freak out about 30 creeping up on me and still living at home!! I think I want to live on a budget, put what would be my rent money in savings (except for what I actually pay my mom for rent), and save a huge chunk of money so if I go to England I'll be set! And if I don't get a match, I can just go on a trip anyway! And move out. I don't know. I just don't want to be waiting year after year for Fulbright and not move out...

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 2, 2011

And I think part of the reason I'm having such a hard time moving into an apartment is because I really just don't like Arizona!!!!!

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 2, 2011

To answer your original question, I have a 2nd job. Before I got the second job last fall, I was barely making ends meet. I live by myself in an ok neighborhood. The cheapest apartments I could find when I was looking were about $475 (including heat and water), but they were in very rough neighborhoods. In the past few years there have been drug busts, shootings, etc. in those areas. So, I choose to pay just a little bit more ($535 including heat and water) to live in a neighborhood that is a little bit nicer.

I have a very strict budget ($80/paycheck for food, $80 for gas, $15 for toiletries, etc.), and when the money is gone, it's gone and I just have to make do. It's not fun, but I have a lot of debt that I'm trying to pay off (credit cards and students loans), so I know it will be worth it in the long run.

I am really worried, however, because I live in Wisconsin and state employees are going through many changes with our paychecks. Beginning this month, I have to pay more towards my retirement and health insurance. It's going to cost me about $250/month (a large percentage when I only take home $2,000), which is more than an entire paycheck at my second job. So, I'm almost going to be back where I started before I had my 2nd job. :(

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 2, 2011

If you really want to go to England, you are going to need a very big nest egg in order to do the things you want there. There is soooo much to do and see there, and it is the base for travel to so many other countries.

I say, live at home one more year. Make a very strict budget and save every penny you can. Give yourself a little spending money each week and keep to it. Your experience abroad will be so worth anything you might give up for a few months! Go for it!

Plus, never ignore your intuition about an area - if it is not setting right for you to live in a certain area, don't do it. You will eventually find a nice place in a secure area.

20. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 2, 2011

What about looking at apartments/roommates on Craigslist? I'm not sure if many people use it in your area, but here almost all of my friends who have roommates found them using Craigslist. They were people who had a room for rent in a house or apartment. So far it's worked out for almost everyone I know who has done it.
    If you don't mind living at home, then I would stick with that. You can definitely save a lot of money that way.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 3, 2011

Wow, Jessica--I am only two hours away from you and my mortgage payment is around $1,100 (3 bedroom/2 bath home). Fortunately--like you, my take home pay is a little more than three times my mortgage payment, so I manage to do fine (although I don't have much of a savings).

22. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 3, 2011

The Bay Area has towns that are very expensive. I'm lucky I'm not in the Silicon Valley area, since a cheap 1 bedroom in a not-so-great area runs at about 1200-1500 a month. As a first year teacher I could never afford to live there, that's why I looked for jobs in other places.
    I've thought about moving to another state, but I can't leave California. The Bay Area feels too much like home.
    At the high school I went to we always collected money to buy a gift certificate for our choir teacher every year because we assumed, "He's a teacher so he doesn't make very much." When the state released the public employees salary list we looked him up and found out he makes 100,000 a year! He's only been at that school district for 10 years. I guess if you land a job in the right area, you can survive as a teacher!

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 3, 2011

I second that...If you move out just to test how you do on a budget, you'll be throwing away a lot of money that you could be saving.

24. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

I have a roomate, simply because I could not do it on my own. I live in one of the most expensive areas to live, so finding somewhere decent, on my budget, was not attainable. I've always lived with roomate (s), and I don't mind it, as long as everybody is doing what they need to do. I grew up with a lot of people in the house, so I'm used to the company. I think I'd be pretty lonely if I lived alone.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2011

Miss84, I'm the opposite. Give me my own space! I've never lived w/ a roommate in my life & don't plan to start now. I'm an ony child & used to it always being my parents & I. I'm sure a roommate could be fun if it was the right person, but no, it's not for me.

26. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

I'm going to be 27 this year, going into my 3rd year teaching and it's tough, but I get by just fine. I was paying $1100 a month for rent plus $120 for cable/internet and about $70 for electric. I still had enough cash for spending and whatever.

Luckily I found an apartment for $875/month next year, hopefully it works out!

I'm jealous you found rent for $300! That would be amazing!!

27. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 11, 2011

I'm going to be a first year teacher and there's no way I could afford everything on my own with what my salary is going to be. My parents are helping me out a bit with expenses and they are still paying for all horse related expenses. (I have a horse that I compete in dressage) I'm an only child and have lived alone for the last 3 years. I have a cat and that's the closest I plan on coming to a roommate! My parents are the best though and they're really supportive in so many ways!

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 20, 2011

The problems begin when someone starts taking advantage of the others and does not carry his/her own weight. How does that get handled? I have had great roommates and a couple experiences when problems cropped up. I really like having my own space now.

29. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2011

Wow, YTG--mortgage payment over a grand and that is 1/3 of what you bring home? Many my mortgage is a little under than and half of what I bring home. If I were not married, there is no way I could afford to live with half of what I make every month going to the mortgage.