Single Subject Methodology Course

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jennyscout, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jennyscout

jennyscout Rookie

Dec 12, 2007

Hi Folks,
    I have been looking for a single subject methodology course and haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know where one is, preferably on-line and that I could take asap?

I currently have a Ryan Multiple Subject and taught third grade for four years, now I want to just teach English. I passed the CSET (all four sections) for English and now gotta take this last course.

I called the Credentialing Commission and they didn't have any recommendations for where to take classes.

Thanks!

Jennyscout

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2007

Don't know about on-line. But any school with a CTC approved single subject program will have one, including your local CSU.

4. jennyscout

jennyscout Rookie

Dec 13, 2007

Thanks. I found out that National and Phoenix both have on-line classes for this at $1377 and $575 respectively. Yowza! Has anyone found it at a more affordable price?

5. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Dec 13, 2007

I went through uphoenix. For what you are trying to do, that is a great time/money balance. I think my total costs were about $1500, but I forget. There is also a fair amount of "nickel and diming" with the costs. On the other hand, you get a single subject credential in very little time.

The other option is to wait until your local CSU campus gets to that course in their single subject masters program. At least that's what they told me. I would have had to wait around for about 6 months to fit in their schedule. With phoenix I think you can start anytime.

db

6. jennyscout

jennyscout Rookie

Dec 13, 2007

db - thanks for your reply. did you learn a lot from the phoenix class? i took an on-line class with uc san diego and it was a bit of a joke. the teacher hardly participated. i most likely will do phoenix online because it starts when i need it to. i just really hope i will be able to learn useful stuff.

thx,
    jennyscout

7. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Dec 13, 2007

You will get out of it what you put into it. It seemed to be a pretty standard master's level course as far as the work assigned went. It's nice if you like independent work and small groups, but without having to depend on them for getting their work done.

db