Singing in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cicero, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 13, 2013

From my MT during my student teaching I learned all kinds of great songs to help students learn what would normally be boring material. I remember at first I was surprised, because I thought kids wouldn't embrace it at all. With their first quiz, he sent them out in the hall to sing to him the song as a part of their grade while I monitored them in the classroom. I thought, no way are high schoolers going to buy into this... Little did I know. Students rocked that first quiz over material they had only been experiencing for less than a week. The song did the trick and making the song a part of the quiz grade was enough push for even those skeptical students. Once they saw it worked they sang along with us all year.

So I started out my first year with middle school the same way. I introduced the first song, explained I knew it was silly, but I also told them that they would be thanking me later. Before the 8th grade's final exam started I counted them in and they sang together all of their songs. It was such a fun moment.

I really believe in this tool for teaching now. I think it just shakes up the average school day. I just ran across this from the RCA and it warms my heart so much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeidQbVWOV0 I love how into it all the kids are. Granted "Bottom's up" is not an ideal song kids should know, but hey, I bet they can't hear that song without thinking about math now!

I am thinking about doing a project next year where I give them a topic and ask them to work in groups to create their own song for it. :)

Do any of you use songs like this in your classroom? Have you done any similar projects? I would love to hear what everyone else's "process" is for coming up a catchy educational diddy!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2013

My teacher made us sing. It was so corny, but I secretly loved it because it helped me remember all my endings.

I make my students sing, too. We have songs for the personal endings, the perfect tense personal endings, the 1st declension, and the 2nd declension masculine.

I always give students the option of coming up with a new song for whatever content we're learning. They usually get really excited about that but they rarely follow through. :lol:

4. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 13, 2013

I had one young man that had been struggling with it all year come up to me and explain how he just started singing the songs to the tune of one of his favorite metal bands. I didn't ask him to demonstrate, but I am sure that the first declension has never sounded so menacing.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2013

Oh, this gave me a hearty chuckle this morning. Thank you! :haha:

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2013

I have two younger sisters and when they were in fifth grade they learned a song for remembering all of the states. It was fabulous and almost 20 years later they can still rattle off that song. I was always so jealous that the music teacher started teaching the song after I left fifth grade.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

My calculus teacher made us learn the quotient rule to the tune of We Will Rock You... I still remember it :)

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

My 7th grade language arts teacher had us sing. She was my all-time favorite middle school teacher. After that year, I memorized a lot of formulas, dates, places, and other things (for tests) by singing to myself (in my head, of course).

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2013

My 6th graders want to be too cool to sing, but secretly they love it. I've used it effectively in science and social studies. I have to be careful the songs are too "cute" for them though, and yes, they do use the lyrics on the tests. It's so funny to watch.

10. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 13, 2013

I still know all the common French verbs that conjugate with etre in the past tense because of a song our teacher made us learn in high school. Not that I really speak French anymore, but I can conjugate correctly!

My 5th grade students loved the songs I made for their science and social studies units, so at the end of the year, we recorded a DVD of the songs.

11. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 13, 2013

RCA

Just got back from Ron Clark's National Conference and it was amazing. They do use a lot of songs for learning. The teachers create songs and the students also create them. This was my take away, I must use songs to help my students remember their learning.