Singers

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by RussianBlueMommy, Apr 24, 2018.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 24, 2018

Oh man I guess it has been one of those days!

We too have beautiful weather here and everyone is getting cabin fever I'm certain!
    Anyway, during one of my classes today these 2 girls (during working time) kept singing loudly at the top of their lungs. NON STOP.
    I finally had to remove the phone from them for the rest of the period, because of the music!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2018

Why did they have their phone on in the first place?

4. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 24, 2018

The teacher I was covering for permitted it during individual work.

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 25, 2018

I've read similar situations on other posts, and I still don't get it. In the 70's when I was in high school, that would never have been allowed--not just the singing, the phones. You know, I'm not so sure it would've been allowed in college. Then on the other hand, my senior year in college, someone found a list of rules a few decades earlier, and we found it quite humorous what was restricted back then. Perhaps if Internet forums existed in the 70's, an older teacher would have been writing the same thing about us in high school. But still....aside from the safety factor, and I do think teenagers need a cell phone with them for safety issues, why in the world would a teenager need to use a phone in class. Sure, it's a smart phone, but so are the teenagers. They're smart, and they should be in school to learn. Their interest in music is fantastic, in my opinion, but there's more to learning than just music.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 25, 2018

I got an old church choir singing in my soul!

Obadiah likes this.
  7. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 25, 2018

A lot of teachers in my district allow kids to listen to music with ear buds if they are working quietly lol

Leaborb192 and Obadiah like this.
  8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 25, 2018

I've never been able to do it, but I recall my friends in high school saying they did homework with music or the TV on. There is research that music does enhance studying. Multi-tasking usually involves the brain switching from one task to the other rather than simultaneously tasking, or it can involve the brain totally ignoring certain stimuli, but I can see where even that constant switching can sometimes be beneficial rather than detrimental. The brain's focus can be classically conditioned to respond to music, too, and ear distraction can drown out annoying distractions in the classroom. On the other hand, I wonder if listening to Internet radio, which is designed to stimulate by playing the users choices, is a stronger focus than the classroom studies; I wonder if this could shift the classwork into performance on paper rather than internalizing the information. Just because something gets down on paper doesn't mean it was written inside the person. And I wonder if the music could distract from upper level objectives--thinking further about the work. Are the students asking themselves questions about the assignment: Do I agree or disagree with these ideas? How else could this information be used? Is there something in the library I might be interested in reading to further my curiosity on this subject? (Most importantly): How does this relate to other things I've learned?

I suppose I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on this, but those are thoughts that have been running through my head.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2018

I may be hijacking the thread, but I am with you Obadiah.

In fact, I was just wondering about starting my own post on this very topic. What is the deal with all these kids and cell phones anyway. Since when did it become so important that anyone under 18 (and without a viable source of income) need a phone? Smart phones can do some wonderful things, but there is a time and place for everything, IMO. There is a reason why college libraries are open all different hours, but some close early on weekends and on holidays. When on earth will people start shutting things off and start living their lives and get unplugged?

I know I will get some flack for this....but

To my best recollection, the cell phone became popular after a poor college student got stranded. Her brother drove ahead, but she waited and took her own car. Some jerk offered her a ride and that was the end. So the story went something like, if she had a phone she could have called for help. That was a pretty tragic tale, and a good reason for increasing cell phones for everyone.

Okay, I get that. I took forever to get a pager for my daughter when she started high school, and that was only so she could contact me.

But using cell phones for music can become a real problem. Too many people have died in accidents because they stop watching where they are going with headphones on.

We didn't have radios in school. That is called a distraction. Music playing in the background has been the constant source of arguments from office workers, and even blaring music in the mall. One man's passion becomes another man's poison. What you want to listen to is easily solved by headphones. However....

I tend to think with a certain age group, that being 18 and under...really needs to focus on one thing - growing up and having fun. If you have to do research, use the computer in the library or your laptop. Using a phone for everything keeps you from using your head. And holding this precious gem in your hand all day, yuck...germs. They never put them down. I've seen teen moms craning their neck to hold a phone and propping a bottle in their baby's mouth at the same time.

I digress...

IMO, I don't see the need for a kid 12 and under to have their own phone. Whatever they need to talk about should be somewhat supervised by relatives and parents. Sheesh, if I could talk all day and night when I was 12...I probably would never go to bed, be late for school, and up to as much trouble as I could find.

When Mom (rest in peace) said hang up the phone, you better hang up. If not, she picked up the other line, and waited until you did.

My daughter uses a ipad as a pacifier for my grand daughter. She sets it up on Peppa Pig videos and her 3 year old holds this thing in bed.

I just don't understand.

Obadiah likes this.
  10. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 26, 2018

Malcolm Gladwell, in one of his books, cites research on how three groups of people react to innovations. One group totally rejects the innovation, one group somewhat accepts and somewhat rejects the innovation, and a third group immediately accepts it. Other sociological research indicates that people often follow a groupthink, everyone else within my social group thinks or behaves this way so I should too, and I've wondered if such groupthink is becoming more prevalent in today's society. Whether it is or isn't, advertisers take advantage of groupthink to not only promote commercial enterprises but also to promote opinions and biases.. Alongside of this, not only are fewer people today thinking critically and independently, fewer people are involved in activities which develop critical and independent thinking.

Fewer people are reading, and among those who are reading, fewer of them are reading eclectically, preferring only information that supports their groupthink. Everyone is inundated with a seemingly endless infomercial: the television, Facebook, sidewalk, stores, society itself promotes this, that, and the other thing. Depending on where one is, a consistent thread of lifestyle can be detected. Not that this is all necessarily bad. We wouldn't want a society of individual chaotic atoms roaming mindlessly about; some conformity is essential for societal existence. The problem occurs when conformity is manipulated and free thinkers are eliminated.

I wonder if that's what's happening with kids and smartphones. According to police research presented at a workshop at school, a cellphone is an important safety precaution. OK, an unlimited phone/text plan without Internet in my area can cost as little as $15.00 a month. But concerning smartphones, do kids, whose prefrontal cortex is still developing, really need to have access to the entire world in their palm or shirt pocket all day and by their night stand all night? And does that entire world need access to those kids? Supervised Internet can be enriching, but are today's kids really using the Internet for enrichment? Interestingly, parents are concerned about their children's unsupervised access to You Tube, and well they should be, but I'm confused why the media is lambasting Google for not supervising the parents' children. I do agree that Google should, and they presently are, appropriately and precisely monitor their content, but when did Google become the parent?

I'm rambling, but there's a lot to ramble about. To summarize, I feel we need individuals to decide whether a smartphone is appropriate and when and how to use it. This should not be decided collectively by society, or worse yet, decided by advertisers or other dictators. Concerning children, children have parents for a reason. Parents need to take charge, discuss, and decide with their children what is and isn't advisable. "Everybody's doing it" is not the rule of law, or at least it shouldn't be. We're not to be lemmings jumping off of a cliff. Concerning students, schools should decide what is best for the educational climate of the school. We survived perfectly well without smartphones in our classroom when I was a kid. As I wrote before, we had plenty of opportunities for music, such as the jukebox in the cafeteria. And a third, often unmentioned, necessity, somehow, someway, kids (and adults) need to read. Read, read, and then read some more. While writing this, my mind kept going further back in history.

What if Benjamin Franklin became addicted to a smartphone? What if Thomas Jefferson spent too much time texting? What if You Tube preoccupied Albert Einstein? What if today's Franklins, Jeffersons, and Einsteins are being distracted away from their future accomplishments?

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2018

OMG! Obidiah..Thank you!

I can barely get my grand child to look at me when she is in the car. She’s 3, and holding a ipad to keep her happy.

All I wanted to do was hug her and tell her I love her.

Couldn’t get her to put that damn thing down. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Obadiah likes this.
  12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2018

An eight-year-old came in this afternoon with mom. (office staff person). She immediately came back up to the desk to try to get her mom to help her fix her iPad. Three people stopped to help, but they couldn’t make it work.

She sat and sulked.
    People said hello, she turned her head, trying not to cry.
    Put her head down.
    Drifted off to sleep until her family ride :(came, and took her home.

That’s just sad to me.

We had tons of paper, paint, markers. Little Legos in all colors.

This girl never left the office.

Her IPad wasn’t working. I guess this girl had nothing else to do.

sigh.....

Obadiah likes this.
  13. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 27, 2018

Why is this beginning to remind me of 1984.

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 27, 2018

And though time goes by, I will always be, in a club with you in NINETEEN SEVENTY THREE (1973).....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  15. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 27, 2018

I never had a cell phone until I had a job and could pay for it...

Master Pre-K likes this.
  16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2018

Old days...good times I remember,

Take me back...to a world gone away, memories seem like yesterday

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2018

Take me back
    To the world gone away
    Memories
    Seem like yesterday
    Oh, old days
    Good times I remember
    Gold days
    Days I'll always treasure
    Funny faces
    Full of love and laughter
    Funny places

Chicago, 1975

You guys gotta join us over in another post..."Lower Standards for Behavior"

I never had more than 3 pairs of shoes until I could pay for them.