Singapore Math

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RainStorm, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 24, 2009

This past school year, we had a 40 minute inservice on Singapore Math as it relates to solving word problems through model drawing. I was intrigued. Solving word problems is one area where my students always seem to struggle.

I found an online class through Piedmont Community College, and I'm about half way through it right now. I just have to tell you it is fabulous! I'm learning so much, it is at my own pace and convenience, and the instructor responds so quickly to questions and comments in the discussion area.

The price was also very affordable, and I will be able to use these hours towards my professional development requirement next time my certification comes up for renewal.

Usually, when my school offers inservices, it is the "same old same old" -- over and over -- ad naseum. After you have taught for a number of years, you really do get tired listening to the same thing over and over (I've been to a total of 27 mandatory trainings on centers and workstations, and more than that on guided reading -- and most of it was the same material.) It is exciting to learn something new that you can apply right away in your classroom.

I just had to share.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

I love the SM way of solving word problems!
    Can you link us to the class you're taking?

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

This sounds very interesting.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

When I was at the International Reading Association conference in Minneapolis (may) they had part of one session set aside for a demonstration of Singapore Math. It DID sound really interesting.

I am not sure if the conference/workshop has already passed or not, but there was going to be a big conference dealing strictly with Singapore Math in Las Vegas this summer (for those in that region...or those lucky enough to be going there).

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 24, 2009

Sure. http://www.ed2go.com/pcc/ Then search under Singapore Math.

7. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

I had an inservice about SM this summer and loved it. It just makes sense. One thing that our instructor mentioned is using very easy problems to teach the method to the students. Then when you are solving harder problems, the students are already familiar with it as a strategy.