singapore math???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Sep 18, 2013.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2013

Is anyone using this.....I find it beyond dry and boring. am I the only one ?

3. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Sep 18, 2013

I went to a training for Singapore Math, and I got very excited about teaching math - I thought there was a clarity and simplicity that some kids really need.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 18, 2013

Have you been trained in it? I find that many of the methods of Singapore math are highly effective. My experience is that it really helps in teaching word problems I use it as a supplement and not the main program I use.

I have never seen an interesting math textbook, but lots of interesting math lessons. Like yourself, I don't want math to be "dry and boring". I find it is a good subject to jazz up with math manipulatives, real world examples, food items, games, and much more. I find that Singapore Math can be made fun.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2013

I love it! Of course, I've been teaching it as a homeschool teacher and as a tutor, so perhaps my experience is different from that of a regular ed classroom teacher. But I think it's great.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 18, 2013

I agree with this. I had "Math in Focus" last year which is the curriculum that incorporates Singapore Math. If you just followed the teacher's guide, it would be EXTREMELY boring. I taught the strategies in the book but made up my own more engaging lessons to teach the lessons. I thought the Singapore approach was very logical and it taught my kids a lot of number sense. I struggled with math in school and I think I would have really flourished with this curriculum because it's so logical.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 18, 2013

Personally, I've rarely seen a program (math or otherwise) that wasn't boring without a teacher adding some engaging activities. That being said, I've never taught Singapore Math but am familiar with it and think it's a great program. I'd take it over the math program that I do have in a heartbeat.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 19, 2013

The model drawing component is wonderful. I've done both the 1st-6th and the 6th-9th training and last year trained my Lower School teachers. One of my great joys in life is working in my binder of word problems.

What I like about this approach is that it is a visual representation of equation writing. The other parts of the program are fine, but nothing special.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2013

I guess it is me!
    I find the workbook to be horrible, who makes a kids workbook in black and white? This and the textbook are the most un-user friendly things I have ever seen. The teacher's book is not much better. Most TE have a small pictures of the textbook and workbook so that you can see what they look like without having to carry all three books home to plan....not Singapore!

My other main issue with it is more that I don't "think" the way that the program wants or requires me to think. For example, when solving 8+3 the kids are supposed to think "8 and 2 make 10 and one more makes 11" I NEVER think this way.....ever so I have had a really hard time getting the kids to think this way.....I understand it , but it is not automatic for me and I guess I was taught math the "old fashion" way.....when I see 8+3, I picture a number like and count up.....how do I undo 33 years of math learning and wire my brain to the "Singapore way'"??

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

We use Math in Focus too and I supplement as well. I think the premise behind it is that is really tries to develop number sense and it takes its time with lessons and concepts to develop. I use calendar (math videos, real calendar items, number talk), a warm up, and math centers after independent practice to supplement. I think it also takes time to really get a feel for it as well.