Singapore Math

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, Jul 21, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2012

Anyone use it? Pros? Cons?

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

Czacza, I use it for arithmetic. I teach multiple ages (6-9 usually) and the books build from manipulatives to pitures, to representations (drawings of blocks, bars, etc) to written numbers. It is very easy to tell when a student gets one level and is ready to move on - you can see them do it.

I haven't used it for other math strands.

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2012

My wifes school uses it. I don't know much about it, but I don't believe she is that fond of it.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

I am intrigued, too, czacza. I once went to a session on SM and problem solving while at a conference. It was amazing what problems early elem kids could do!

6. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 21, 2012

Not a fan of it. Been using it for several years now. Yes, some of the expectations of student work are demanding and rigorous (which is good), but it does not cover all grade-level expectations. I had to supplement 1/3rd of the math curriculum with my own materials.

Another drawback of Singapore Math is its lousy spiraling. Only at the end of the units do children get the opportunity to practice previously learned skills and concepts. In fourth grade, for example, there is a unit on fractions that lasts about three months, so you get an idea how much students lose out on retaining other math skills.

I'd say Singapore Math is more of a benefit for the primary grades than the intermediate ones. Probably the best thing going for it is its multiple strategies to learn adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. For differentiation, nothing beats Singapore Math in that area.

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 22, 2012

The model drawing component is amazing! My students beg to solve word problems.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 22, 2012

I use portions of it-like the model drawing. My kids do love this! Again, it is about the WHY it works, not HOW it works!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

My new school uses it. I will be trained on it during the first two weeks before kids return. As of yet, I really don't know anything about it. I know the school switched all of elementary to it at once and then wished they had started with the lowest grade first, and then added the next grade each year. I am excited to learn about it.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

I've used it to homeschool two boys and tutor five other students.

I agree in that you do need to supplement some things as it doesn't cover everything.

However, I loved their mental math component and model drawing. It is rigorous and demanding (which is one reason why so many parents from this school sought a tutor... good for me). But the growth the kids made were huge.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 22, 2012

There is a California edition that covers our state standards. The other choice is a US option (surely there must be a Texas version, too). Be sure to get the US version.

12. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

Has anyone taught math using this method in high school without the kids having learned it in elementary school? I'm thinking this would be difficult for older students if they aren't exposed to this type of thinking earlier on. I could see how it could be used to model algebra word problems but then it seems awfully time consuming to do it this way for every problem. I would probably use it as a model so that students understand why and then teach a more efficient method using variables.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

I don't know about HS, but the school I am starting this year had all elementary make the jump into Singapore at once. They found it was confusing for the older ones. If they had started it at the lowest grade, and then added the next grade each following year, until all of elementary was using it, they felt it would have been easier for those kids. I think a lot of it is also that they use different terms. Like I said, this is only what I have heard. I will officiall train on Singapore math in a week or two.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012

I've never used it, but I've only heard good things about it. We're going to be implementing some Math In Focus this year which is supposed to be similar. Unfortunately our main program will remain as Everyday Math. We didn't have good enough math scores to chose our own program according to the powers that be in the department of education. (Hmm did they ever consider our math scores might have something to do with the program we're using?)

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

Our new math curriculum and materials will be using selected parts. Fourth and fifth grade teachers were trained on model drawing last year, and I loved it!