Since when do kids need a birthday party every year?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

I had a party every year from school age on. As a matter offact, we usually went to dinner with close family with presents and cake and a party with friends. Some years the party was a BBQ at my house, but most were small parties at somewhere like Pistol Pete's(Peter Piper Pizza) or the skating rink.

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

My siblings, cousins, and I always had bday parties just about every year. We usually combined friends and family but sometimes had 2 parties (like a friend party on Saturday then family came on sunday). I don't think they were elaborate but they were always fun. I don't think they have to be very expensive. My cousin always has parties for her kids but she combines them since their birthdays are both in the same month so she has one big party for both. My nephew has always had parties inviting kids from daycare and now Kindergarten. What I think is nuts is that there is a policy that if any child in kindergarten invites kids to a party then they must invite the whole class, not just certain kids. So, his last bday party was huge and expensive (it was at a bouncy house place or something like that) and I think it's a ridiculous policy.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

My brother and I would usually share a birthday party in August (I was born in July, and he was born in September). I think we each had one on our first birthdays, and I think I had ones every year until I was 10 or 11 (I said think because I don't remember before October 1996).

Every year, my parents will give me and my brother presents, and we'll give them presents, and we'll usually either go out to dinner or my mom will make a special meal for the person whose birthday it is (so usually we go out on my mom's birthday and eat at home the rest of the time).

My wealthy aunt usually has a party every summer at her house and since most of the people in my family were born in the summer, people will usually give out small gifts to those with summer birthdays - or they'll wait until christmas to give gifts to everyone.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

My "big" birthday parties ended around Gr. 5. I then had a few friends over for sleepovers or movie outings.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

I believe I had a birthday party every year growing up. Definitely a family dinner with cake and then something with my friends. I still love my birthday...I love my whole birthday month, in fact! October just makes me happy...it's a bit cooler, the leaves are changing, football, apple picking, cozy sweaters...:cool:

My two sons still have some sort of celebration on birthdays with their friends and they are in their 20s...

Life is for celebrating!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

How on earth can a school mandate who gets invited to a private home for a birthday party?

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2014

Some schools around here have policies that if invites are passed out at school, the whole class has to get one.

Most parents choose to do invites in other ways to avoid it.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

That type of policy makes some sense. To say, though, that if you invite anyone from the class (regardless of how the actual invitation is delivered) then you have to invite everyone, that's overstepping some bounds, in my opinion.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

I have no idea.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2014

I don't remember when my actual birthday parties stopped, sometime into middle school or high school. Most of my parties were the at home variety, nothing fancy although I do remember a couple of parties where we were on tv shows. When I was older it was mostly a reason to have friends over and spend the night when I was older.

Always had a family birthday party. We usually try & go out to eat.

My own kids had parties from probably to Kindergarten to 4th or 5th grade. They didn't ask for one after that.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 18, 2014

I had quite a few parties - either birthday or Halloween - while growing up. My kids had birthday parties every year until 7th or 8th grade. We also had a Halloween party every year until my daughter entered 7th grade - just because it was fun! Childhood only lasts a few years, so why not enjoy it?

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

I had big parties on my 5th and 10th birthdays. Other than that, it was pretty much family only. We would always go out to eat on my birthday and I always could pick one friend.

My sister never really had big parties that I can remember. She has a summer birthday, though, so she always got to pick a friend to go to an amusement park, water park, etc... I was always jealous. (She said that she'd give up an August birthday in a heartbeat because her presents were always school clothes.)

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

Well, I guess I was ripped off then! I really can't imagine throwing a big party for my child every year, though. Of course I would do something special, but that has to get expensive to invite a bunch of friends over, rent out the gymnastic center, rent bounce houses, etc.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

Most of my birthday parties were at my house and we played things like pin the tail on the donkey or whatever. One time my aunt dressed up like a clown an did some magic tricks LOL

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2014

I had a party at my house consisting of just relatives when I was 3 or 4 & a pizza party at Shakey's w/ actual school friends & relatives at age 7...that's the ONLY 2 birthday parties I've ever had in my entire life (even up until NOW).

I don't see the need for a b-day party every single year.