Since when do kids need a birthday party every year?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jun 18, 2014.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 19, 2014

My parties would consist of being in my back yard, my dad would grill food, my mom would bake a cake, the adults would sit outside & inside, and the kids would run around in the huge backyard/go inside and play games.

2. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

I had parties every year in elementary school. They consisted of pizza, cake, and usually the neighborhood club house (free to reserve) or our backyard. I think other costs were streamers (a couple bucks tops) and small prizes for games. From what I recall, the prizes were things like stickers. Not really much expense involved. Starting in fourth or fifth grade, my mom would let me choose a few girlfriends for a sleepover. We'd just giggle and watch movies or make up dance routines, pretty much. Again, pizza and cake. In middle school, I think I was pretty much over parties and don't remember having any more until I started throwing them myself when I moved out. :)

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 19, 2014

I was a kid in the 90s and pretty much stopped having parties after 3rd grade. I think i might have had the random slumber party here and there ''just because'' but I lost interest in actual parties. My friend on the otherhand still celebrates each year by getting us all together and going to eat at her favorite restaurant.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 19, 2014

That would be nice...My birthday is in February, so I couldn't do the outside stuff.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2014

Drive... my is in winter as well!!!

My best friend did road rallies for 2 of her bdays so fun!!!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 19, 2014

I'm so incredibly glad the Internet wasn't around when I was a kid. I think too many parents are feeling pressured to produce what they see on Pinterest, Facebook, etc.

I had a party every year. I invited a few friends over, my dad would bbq, my mom made a cake, and we played games. Simple and fun.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2014

My hubby still makes me my fave dinner & get me some sort of cake...

8. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I've been following this thread as I get ready for my son's fourth birthday party this weekend. We are doing it at home with simple snacks and drinks. I bought a pinata (because I found one shaped like his favorite monster truck!) and monster trucks for all the kids (kits at hobby lobby (one kit at a time with a 40% off coupon) and my husband made tracks for the kids to drive on. I think the only thing he had to buy was a sheet of plywood and a can of spray paint. Everything else we found at home. I try to walk a fine line of a good time without spending a fortune (in time or money).

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

K1 sounds great....
    Birthdays don't have to be about going broke for others that's for sure....

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

Love it! :thumb: I hope he has a blast!

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 20, 2014

My brother had a piñata one year. Those are the best!!! If I had children I would certainly try to make their birthday parties special but not if it meant having to take out a bank loan for it! I think some of the ones shown on Facebook/Pinterest would eat up a whole paycheck or 2!!!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 20, 2014

My husband used to do that but then one year he bought me HIS favorite cake not mine!! I told him never mind after that LOL Now we usually go for a nice dinner out. He's a great cook but I don't like anyone cooking in my kitchen besides me :lol:

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

My hubby can cook for me whenever he wants... LOL!!! He usually cooks weekends & me during the week!!!

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

One year I had a pinata.

We learned quickly not to have people near me/the pinata when I was swinging.

I missed the pinata quite a lot haha.

15. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I am not brave enough to turn a bunch of preschoolers loose with a bat so I am using a pinata with a pull string!

16. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

A bunch of preschoolers with a bat sounds rather dangerous for all involved.

It's even worse if the child in question has bad coordination :p

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 21, 2014

I had a party every year, with my friends. I went to a tiny school, so I invited my whole class (a whopping nine or so people) until I started having only girls at my party. They were always fun things, but inexpensive (slumber party, line dancing lessons, etc.) By middle school, I started just having a couple of friends go to the movies or something then spend the night that night. When I went to boarding school, my mom came with huge trays of lasagna and fed all my friends dinner. My birthdays were always special days, but simple days.

18. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 21, 2014

Some of these posts are bringing back memories! And yes, you can do a lot with only a little bit of money. One year my daughter had a princess party where they all decorated crowns. Another year (when she was a little older) she had a scrapbooking party, and each attendee got to make a little scrapbook. My favorite idea for my son was the pirate party. We hid the treat bags out in the woods and sent them with shovels and clues to find them. Unfortunately it was my husband who did the hiding, so they were back way too soon!

19. bora

bora Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

:thumb: