Since we are being honest.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 14, 2015

:p:p
    We were all so honest about PLC's.
    -so-
    Are your planning periods effective? Do you manage your time well? I recently got a planning period. It's about 30 minutes long at the beginning of the day. As a self-contained teacher, I've never had this at any school I ever worked at. I am very grateful for it, and I have experienced less anxiety about the day ahead just by having this time. However, I feel like it's not long enough to really finish anything. Most of the time I just check my e-mail, use the bathroom, organize a few things, and get ready for the day ahead.

Suggestions are appreciated.

3. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 14, 2015

I have two planning periods, and I don't think I always use them effectively. Sometimes I get last minute things done, but I just like the mental break. I do a lot of easy research- surfing the net for ideas and activities that we can do.

4. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Jan 14, 2015

Depends on what I need to get done. I come in early and get my morning prep (changing calendar, passing out morning work, the odd copy) done.

During prep I might do things around the room I have been putting off (read: laminate! anchor charts!). I mostly research new things OR get TAP stuff or IEP paperwork done. Or if I'm doing a hands-on lesson that can't be prepped ahead of time I will do that. I never start something during prep that I will not or can not finish, because I tend to not go back to it for a few days and then it just sits there, unfinished...staring at me!!!

A lot of my heavy prep things are done on Sundays unfortunately.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 14, 2015

This year the schedules and specials were rearranged... giving each general classroom teacher a solid straight hour every single day.

It's heavenly and I can get so much done. I no longer feel I have to stay particularly long after/before school.

Technically, it's the same amount of planning time we've always had, but when planning time is efficiently organized, it makes it all the better.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 14, 2015

This is what we have where I work as well. My first several years teaching I thought about the time and used it similar to what you do. Now, I find myself using the time very very effectively. I am able to use about 25 minutes to fully focus on designing an activity or getting something useful done. It took several years for me to get there though.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 14, 2015

If I don't use it effectively, I have to make up the work after or before school, so I try to use it effectively.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 14, 2015

I feel like eating, resting, and using the bathroom is a plenty effective use of my prep. Lord knows I don't get the chance to do that during the rest of the day.

But I will usually also go around and help people with technology or plan for my elective course which comes right after (and I usually neglect to plan for [in detail] until my prep right before it).

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 14, 2015

We get a 50 minute planning or preparation time during the school day. I have learned to be very effective at using this time over time. I'm grateful for it that's for sure. The longer you teach, the easier things become because you've got some experience under your belt.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2015

I currently have one paid prep (100 mins) two-three times per week depending on the rotating block schedule. I come in early to create a long stretch of time since it's first period on the days I have it. I am mostly productive, although some days I take longer to get to serious work -- mostly if I am procrastinating, I'm on here which I justify as work-related!

I find I do most of my in-depth planning at home during my unpaid sixth period (I'm 80%). I like to be able to spread out and take my time. I do hope to be 100% for next year, though, and realize I will need to be more efficient.

I used to teach at a school where I had just 40 minutes twice a week, and part of that time was taken up by walking my class to and from PE. I had 5 preps and it was just not enough time. I am so grateful for the time I have now!

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 14, 2015

I have a full hour four days a week. On the other day, that time is spent in the dreaded PLC. I tend to be either fully productive or I waste just about the entire time by talking to fellow staff about random stuff. Over time, I've learned to be as productive as possible because I want to be able to walk out the door with my students to head home (that was some advice I gleaned from reading this board, in fact :)). I don't think I would get nearly as much accomplished though if had only a half hour. I tend to start only tasks that can be finished in the time I have, and I don't think I'd have much I could do with only 30 minutes (assuming that a few minutes would be spent transitioning and using the bathroom).

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2015

I manage my prep time very well. I use it to prepare for the day, write lesson plans, check emails, have a snack, grade papers, straighten my room, run errands around the building, and any number of other tasks. I don't do all those tasks every day, but I try to tackle at least a few of them every day.

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 14, 2015

Same. I get about 50 minutes a day. My time is definitely better spent if I am alone in my room (rather than having people stop by to chat).

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 14, 2015

We have no planning periods, our school just doesn't have it.
    I was used to it, but then last semester my P managed to give me and the math teacher 1 class hour (48 minutes) every day. It really helped.
    Now that we don't have it again, I definitely feel the difference between teaching 5 classes or 6 classes and having no prep :(

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 14, 2015

I get 90 minutes every day. This year, it's first thing in the morning every day, so I do use it effectively (making copies, preparing my materials), but I much preferred having the middle of the day planning because it happened at the same time as our lunch period, so you ended up with 2 hours off in the middle of the day to recharge. I was much less productive in those two hours though. Many a nap was taken or tv watched, but I always work 2-3 hours at home every night, so I didn't feel bad wasting that time.