simple, simple class rules

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teach4christ, Jul 30, 2009.

1. teach4christ

teach4christ Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Does anyone have "catchy" (easy-to-remember and easy to use as reminders) class rules? As a 3rd grade teacher my 3 rules were: Be ready, Be responsible, Be respectful... those broad categories covered everything but would be too abstract for Kindergarten I know. (Of course, we described each "rule" with how it looks in daily scenarios.) So anything similar for Kindergarten that has been helpful? Thanks for the ideas!

3. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Class rules, borrowed from a friend

who borrowed from her friend, who borrowed from her friend.....
    It's worked for my kinders and 1st graders. I even used sign language to help them remember. We talk about examples of how to follow/break the rules at the beginning of the year, then throughout the year students can tell me how their behavior breaks a rule and which rule they broke.

We raise our hand and wait to speak.
    We work quietly in our seat.
    We use voices soft and sweet.
    We leave our area nice and neat.
    We are helpful, friendly, and fair.
    We take turns and always share.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

The Rules Rap by Jr. Jean (see drjean.org) - simple, catchy, she sells a book to go with it (TLC Press, I think)

The rules, the rules, the rules of the classroom:
    Follow directions
    Feet and hands to yourself
    Small voices inside, large voices on the playground
    Take care of your things, keep the classroom neat and clean
    Work together, get along and respect each other

Catchy, easy tune to learn. Pretty soon all I have to sing is "The rules, the rules.." and they know what to do and redirect their own behavior.

5. luv2teachK

luv2teachK Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

At our school we teach our students the ABC's:

A: Act Responsibly
    B: Be Safe
    C: Care for Others

It works great! Also, these three rules can work in any setting. We teach the ABC's of the classroom, cafeteria, restroom, playground, etc.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 30, 2009

Listening Ears
    Quiet Voice
    Looking Eyes
    Hands and Feet to Yourself
    Be a Good Friend!
    I use the above rules with simple pictures and they learn them very quickly. Before I show them the above rules, we talk about rules, why we have rules. Then, they suggest rules that might be good and I write them (reworded as needed) and they sign the paper as a social contract. The next day I bring out my rule list (above), we talk about them and relate their rules to my rules and agree that those will guide our classroom. Of course we read several rule story books and discuss appropriate behavior for several weeks.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 30, 2009

I was in a classroom the other day and they had taken the pieces of a Mr. Potato Head and glued them to a posterboard for the rules. I thought it was really cute and something the kids could easily understand - something like "Eyes are Looking", "Ears are listening", "mouths closed", "hands raised", etc.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

[QUOTE
    Listening Ears
    Quiet Voice
    Looking Eyes
    Hands and Feet to Yourself
    Be a Good Friend!
    QUOTE]

yep these are basically mine - with pics!

KinderCowGirl, I really like that idea!

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

that is cute!~

mine are something simple

Be kind
    Be careful
    be safe.

10. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I only have 1 rule. #1Rule-no hurting anyone on the inside or outside. It covers everything. As a reminder, I place large #1's around the classroom.

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

Yes, it's always best to keep it simple when it comes to this age group. Here's a link to my rules page where you can read my rules and see a picture of the chart I create. It's very important to have pictures that correspond with each rule since the children can't read. If you have a bunch of words on the wall without a picture the kids won't know what it says- like you said, it's too abstract. I will try to insert a picture of the rules chart below.
    [​IMG]

12. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

be kind
    be safe
    be ready to learn

13. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I use what Vanna uses and in fact I have a poster that is very similar to what she has posted. In addition to learning about the five basic rules, whenever I need the whole class' attention, I will say, "Stop and give me five". THey all stop and put their hands up in the air ( which would be a physical reminder of the five rules of our classroom). At this point I should have all five of each child- looking eyes, listening ears, feet pointed in my direction, hands still -pencils and crayons down (we use loving hands on the poster) and quiet mouths.

I have used several variations of attention getters over the years of teaching but this one has been most effective for me. It stops the kids dead in their tracks and if someone dosen't respond with all five of our class remiders, I know immediately (cause it's sort of like a freeze game to them) and I can deal with that child directly if needed.

At the beginning of the year, when we are learning how to appropriately respond to this prompt, I give a class reward if everyone is in compliance. We have a class marble jar and I would put a marble in the jar if they all responded appropriately. When the jar gets filled with 100 marbles the whole class gets a special treat- a movie and popcorn party, extra recess, just fun stuff in general that gives the class something to work towards.

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

For attention getter, I use a traffic light. This traffic light I hand each child. We discuss and they color. red is STOP AND LOOK, yellow WAIT AND LISTEN, and green is GO. When I say 'red', they immediately touch the red light (that they personally colored as we discussed rules). If I say 'yellow' they must touch yellow light (as they touch the yellow they see the words wait and listen) this is a reminder to listen. I probably didn't explain it well, but its a way to have them physically do something to comply with my request).