Simple quick project ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Dec 11, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Dec 11, 2010

My kids meet with their 5th grade buddies twice a week. Next week they will only be able to work with them once a week. I would like them to create a small quick and simple holiday project with their buddies. I teach 1st grade so it needs to be pretty simple.

They will only have about 20 mins to complete it.

Any ideas!

3. Keber

Keber Rookie

Dec 11, 2010

Snowflakes

I recently led a lesson on snowflakes and decided to use tracing paper instead of printing paper. This allowed my students to cut more details into their snowflakes without hurting their hands. Printing or butcher paper would be fine, too. You would able to talk about symmetry, how many sides a snowflake has (6), how each one is different, ask them to estimate how many snowflakes could fit into different sized containers, and many other ideas. You could have a challenge to have the students include certain shapes or designs. I thought about an extension project where the students could make a story about the snowflake they made: where it traveled, what it saw as it floated down, or what it thought about (if you decided to personify it).

Since it is the winter season, another idea would be to get sugar cubes and build a fort. This might be a project that would take a while, but would be beneficial to create something that requires thought, planning and creative design.

I would also recommend checking out the post: Holiday craft ideas?

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Dec 12, 2010

Thanks. Did not realize there was already a thread.