simple question....student of the week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pigger, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I've decided to have a student of the week....star of the week....

my issue is how to pick them.......i'd love to know how you pick yours?

ive never done it before.....im concerned with the kid that is last..:eek:

im going to have a bulletin board.....with favorite food, family, pets, birthday, etc.....

its more of a spotlight bulletin board....i'd like them to be a good citizen, good student...but in my mind it isnt just for those who get 100s on tests, those that always do their homework....i guess i'm planning on everyone getting it atleast once....

birthdays?
    alphabetical order by first names?

thanks for your thoughts.

:unsure:

3. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

i use my star of the week just as an introduction to the class. so i pick randomly....at the beginning of the year i print off my student of the week letter and write each students name on one and then put in a file folder. every friday i pick a letter out of the file folder.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

I have seen it done alphabetically. Personally, when I was student teaching, I took an attendance/grade sheet (class list with boxes) and I randomly drew a stick and that person was it. I'd check their name off to keep track. If I drew the stick of someone who already had a turn, I drew again.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

All of my students are the star of the week three times.
    The first round is for one day (I call them the daily duckling), then everyone gets a week, and then I divide up the remaining days of school and everyone gets another turn.

I pick them by 1/2 birthday as much as possible.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

When I did star of the week, I picked the kids names randomly. So if one child is star of the week this week, he/she will pick a name from popsicle sticks randomly to see who's turn is next. Every child gets a turn because I feel like every child deserves to be recognized. Even the students with behavior problems acted differently when they were the star because it made them feel important.

As for the child who is picked last, well, there's really nothing you can do about that. I just explain to my kids that their turn would be coming eventually and they would just wait anxiously knowing that they will get a turn too!:) Picking names randomly is the fairest way and the kids understand that it is fair. Especially the parents! They are well aware of how the star is chosen and once everybody understands the way it goes they are fine.:up:
    I plan to do it the same this year but I will have different activities each day for the child. (i.e. pictures, child reads his/her favorite book, lunch with a buddy, the other children will write the child special messages on his/her star as a keepsake etc.)

7. Youngteacher226

Aug 6, 2007

I start my star of the week in just enough time so that everyone gets one turn. I think one week is enough so I might not start the star of the week thing until November.

8. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I tried to choose mine so that they could be the student of the week during the week of their birthday. Obviously this doesn't work out with all students, but it did work okay for me last year. For those students who have summer birthdays, I just had them be the student of the week during weeks when nobody had a birthday. Does this make sense?

9. new york

new york Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I have the students themselves pick who they would like their student of the week to be. I give them the criteria like good citizenship, has been TRYING hard (even if 100's have not been achieved), is helpful and friendly, etc. The only rule is the same student cannot be the student of the week two weeks in a row. They fill out their ballots and the top votes get to be student of the week. At first I was concerned about it becoming a popularity contest but the kids were really fair with whom they picked. Some weeks if there was time I turned it into a little writing exercise and had them write WHY the student should be student of the week using descriptive adjectives or something.

This worked out really well. The pressure was not on me to pick and my teaching assistant (a student not teacher) would tally up the votes for me.

10. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

new york, thank you! :) Our principal has us choose a Student of the Week every week. He takes their picture and adds it to a form where we do a write up of why the student was chosen. The pictures are then displayed in the hall near his office for the week. I always struggle in choosing. I really like your idea and am going to give it a try! Thank you!!

Any other ideas as to criteria? Would it work to come up with some sort of a rubric for the kids, do you think? :)

11. Youngteacher226

Aug 6, 2007

What about those "not so popular" students??? I know that there has to be a time when they are forgotten. I know in my class, there would be some kids being left out of the running.

12. momtobaln

momtobaln Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I really like the star of the week idea. With 23 3rd grade students, I would like to try this in my room this year. What types of activities do you do for your "star" other than pictures and books? Thanks for the great idea.:up:thanks:

13. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

My star of the week brings in items to share and then I tell parents in the letter that they may chose to come in and read to the class as a guest reader (usually as a surprise to their student) or some of them share something special (I had one share the family coin collection and one showed the class how to sing a song from Bangladesh where the family was from) I also tell the parents that they are more than welcome to send in a treat if they would like.

14. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I choose the first student of the week. For the first few weeks of school until the student of the week is announced I talk to the kids about the type of student that should earn the privilege first. When I pick the first one I let the other students know why I chose them . Then the student of the week picks the next person. It is always encouraged for them to pick someone who sets a good example and makes good choices. I am surprised how well it worked last year. The kids were pretty accurate about picking people who made good choices and being fair.

15. new york

new york Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Perhaps instead of a structured "rubric" it might be a good idea to just do a quick brainstorm of what a good student of the week looks like, sounds like, feels like at the begining of the year.

For example:
    Looks--- a good student of the week can be seen helping other students, teachers, sharing supplies, always hands in work etc.
    sounds- speaks with encouraging words, is always polite and courteous when speaking (please, thank you, excuse me) etc.
    feels- makes me feel happy when I am sad, makes me feel included when we are in group work, makes me feel better when I don't understand a math problem because he/she explains it to me etc.

16. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

Great ideas, new york...thanks for the insights. :)

Youngteacher226, thanks for your input, too. :) That will certainly be something to guard against. I am thinking of giving it a try, though, and hopefully, can figure out how to present it in such a way that it will turn out to be a growing experience for the kids. Am keeping my fingers crossed. :angel:

17. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

FOr the last one.....my daughter's 1st grade teacher said ahead of time that the last student drawn would get the I'm Very Patient Prize! THEY ALL WANTED TO BE LAST! Well, my daughter was last and she got an American Girl Doll book and collector cards! I thought that was a nice idea for having to wait so long!

18. Youngteacher226

Aug 6, 2007

I like that idea! I'm going to have to steal that one.:2up:

19. Youngteacher226

Aug 6, 2007

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

I just came from her site and she is fabulous!!
    I got alot of great ideas from her; she is a super teacher; just love the kid's costumes that they created with their folks.

Love this site,
    Sandra

21. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I choose a student of the week by their behaviors and attitudes in class. I believe that you have to earn it to become student of the week. I also, however, look out for good weeks among those students that would "never" get it. For instance, I had a child that could not stay out of trouble at all last year. We had a three day week once, in which he was good the entire three days, so guess who earned student of the week that week! I like to point out reasons why I chose them. Things that they may have done recently that I have noticed and am proud of.