Simple Management Tool

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 26, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 26, 2011

I always hated when kids had to turn in papers, assignments, permission slips, etc., and I would be missing a few and had to figure out which ones I was missing.

This year I typed up a class list, glued it to construction paper, and laminated it. When something needs to be returned, and I am missing a few, I go through my pile and cross the names off the list with a dry-erase marker. I can easily see whose papers are missing. I keep the list in my top desk drawer because I use it so often!

I just thought I would share my "brilliant" idea. ;)

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2011

Thanks for sharing that idea. I might try something like that.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2011

Similar to my idea. Good thinking. Each child has a number. They write their number in the corner. I put the papers in order. I can easily see which number is missing. Sometimes I have a helper put them in order.

I also have a paper copy of a class list with a bunch of columns. For important papers (permission slips, etc.) I just put a check mark in that column.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2011

Lynn, my kids have numbers too, but my oh my how they forget to put them on their papers half the time! I really like that technique, though.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2011

I was also going to suggest the numbers in the corner.

I have a student flip through the pile and add numbers to the ones who are missing.

I can see the benefit of the list too. Thanks for sharing.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 26, 2011

I teach 6 year olds and they put a number on their paper. It makes everything easier...and they are in the computer according to their number making it easy and fast to put grades into the computer.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2011

I like the idea of a laminated list. I print a whole bunch of class lists--name only--on thin strips of paper and staple to the front of a 9 x 12 envelope. When students return forms, they go into the appropriate envelope, and their name is highlighted.

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 27, 2011

When the kids are around, and I can't figure out who I am missing, I have them all stand up. Then I go through the papers and call out the names that I have. When a child hears their name, they sit down- once I run out of papers, the kids still standing are the ones I am missing. In Pre-K I get a lot of papers handed in with no names on them, and this has been the best way I've found to figure out what's what! I think the class list thing is GREAT for when there are no kids around, though!

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 28, 2011

I do that, too, sometimes. I also do the number thing that many people are talking about. Sometimes, though, for things like permission slips and conference reminders, the parents just sign them so they do not contain the child's number.