Simple Machines

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Just_Beginning2, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

I am starting a new simple machines unit in a couple of weeks and was looking for any ideas... its my first time ever teaching this unit to 2/3 graders. Does anyone have a great way to introduce them? I wanted to try and do an activity where the kids saw all six of them and how they work in the first lesson then move on to understanding each of them seperately etc... any help is appreciated!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2008

I don't know if this is quite where you're going, but have you ever read David Macaulay's delightful (and somewhat sly) The New Way Things Work? He discusses simple machines in action, and has what may be the world's best explanation of how a zipper incorporates wedges.

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 29, 2008

I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind or if it will work for you, but what about walking around the school as a class and looking for machines. It will help them see that machines really are all around us.

Make a list of what students think of as "machines," then explain what the six types of simple machines consist of. Have them compare what they thought they knew with what they learned.

When I taught simple machines to my fifth graders, they built their own machines. It was a lot of fun for the students, and I was amazed at some of their creativity. Of course, this isn't an intro activity, but it was fun. It might be worth keeping in mind.

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 29, 2008