Silly questions

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by trulyblssd, Jul 25, 2006.

1. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 25, 2006

Okay, this may be silly, but it's a question.

How do you address your colleagues? The reason I ask is because I figured that I would call them by their first names, but I had the school secretary (who is not that old) introduce herself to me as Mrs. Rosales. Do I call her Mrs. Rosales or by her first name? Also, how do I address the principal? I heard someone refer to him as Mr. and not by his first name. I thoroughly confused and don’t want to offend anyone.

One more question, I have a couple of students that will be at the high school I’m teaching at that were in my youth group at church. Obviously they call me by my first name. How do I transition them over to not referring to me and their friends at school by my first name? It has to be hard for them and it will be weird for me. I’ve known these kids for the last 5 years.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2006

All my colleagues who are not part of a religious community are referred to by their first name. (In front of the kids, it's Mrs P and Mr B)

As to the kids, let them know ahead of time hat you've gotten the job and that they'll have to call you Mrs (or whatever.) You can make a joke of it between now and then.

One of my babysitters lives down the block and attends the school where I teach. I've already warned her.

4. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 25, 2006

I subbed a class with my own 12th grade sister-in-law. Without prompting or sarcasm, called me by our surname. A change in environment will make all the difference. Once you've adopted the teacher role, the students will not know you by any other title. If they do break this, just talk to them later, saying that while you're a teacher you're to be addressed a certain way. If they've known you so long, they must certainly respect your wishes regarding something so relatively trifle.

In regards to colleagues, first names stay in the teachers' lounge with me. I've even avoided them, because the last thing I want to slip out is, "Take your behavior referral and go to Wendy's room!"

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

That is kind of strange about the secretary. Where there students around? With my colleagues I call them by their first name when students aren't around. The principals one I always refer to by his title the other whom I am more comfortable around I call by his first name. Of course he is more laid back than the other. Today I was walking out of summer school and the conference room door was open and so was the his office door so I could see right in to his desk. All I could see was bare feet up on the desk tapping away. I was going to joke with him about it but he was on the phone.
    Ok sorry about the ramble.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 25, 2006

I waited to see how they were going to address me. Some teachers in my school I use their surname and some I use their first name. When I introduce myself to a new staff member I do use my first and last name.

I do find it weird when some of us go out to dinner, to the movies, to someones house... and someone is addressing a co-worker by their surname.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

I do that sometimes by accident. It becames such a habit.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 25, 2006

All the teachers at my school call each other by first names when no students are around. The secretary calls us all Ms. or Mr., however, we all call her by her first name. Most of the teachers call the principal Mr. E ... which I found strange when I first got there, because at both of the schools I did my student teaching in, the principals were addressed by teachers by their first name, so it did take some getting used to.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2006

I always use Mr/Ms/Mrs when in front of my kiddos and otherwise, I address them by their first names.

10. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Jul 27, 2006

We are expected to refer to colleagues by Mr./Mrs./Ms. around the students, but when the kids aren't around we all call each other by our first name. When I first started working I always called the principal Mr. ___. At one of our beginning of the year mtgs one year he asked us to all call him by his first name when kids weren't around, because it made him feel old when we called him Mr.___. I still crack up thinking about that... I think I would just observe & do what everyone else in the building does concerning how to address the secretary & principal.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2006

A few years ago, I was an interpreter in a 6th grade class. The teacher went by Mr. M. My last name starts with M also and the kids started calling us Mr. and Mrs. M!!!!!!!

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2006

Same for me... I have called the office staff by first names, but that was because they were really laid back (we might put a mrs. before their first name if speaking with kids).

I hesitate calling the principal by his or her first name, but that is just because I am a dork. I call them by first name when speaking about them.

13. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 28, 2006

One of the students who is the Sunday School class that I teach was also in one of my classes when I was student teaching. I told her and the others that when they saw me at school, they couldn't call me Mrs. FirstName, they had to call me Mrs. LastName. When they would accidentally call me Mrs. FirstName at school, I would tell them that I didn't know who that was. It only took a time or two before they got the message.

14. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

Same here! :)

15. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 28, 2006

The school I will be working with said it is Mr./Mrs. when the students are around.

16. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 28, 2006

Regarding the principal and secretary (office manager), I used "Mr. ___" for the principal until he told me otherwise. It seemed the appropriate thing to do. The officer manager was so very down to earth and approachable, I just fell into calling her by the first name along with everyone else.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2006

Use Mr. and Mrs until they tell you not to.

Always use Mr and Mrs in front of the kids.