Silly question, but how should I (bridesmaid) walk down the aisle?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2011

I've been to only two weddings and I never paid attention to the bridesmaids as they walked down the aisle.

So, when I walk down the aisle, do I walk normal speed, a bit slower? Do I take one step at a time, bring both feet together, take another step, feet together? Or do I just walk normally? As I walk, do I look around at the guests and smile, or do I just look forward?

Seriously, I have no clue and I do not want to look goofy. :rolleyes: I'd ask the bride, but she has a ton of things on her plate.

Sorry about these silly questions!
    Thanks!

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011

I guess the way every teacher wishes their first graders or kindergarteners would walk in line.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 13, 2011

You walk normally, but slower. (But ask the bride how she wants you to walk.) I've only been a bridesmaid once in my life & didn't even go to the wedding rehearsal. The wedding was out of state & I just flew there the night before the big day, got dressed & was a bridesmaid in my friend's outdoor wedding, in which we walked on the grass down a slope. Everything went smoothly.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 13, 2011

Yes, the bride or minister should tell you at the rehearsal. My GS aged 10 is going to be an usher for my other GS age "too young to get married." The 10 year old is so excited, and keeps practicing. We are also practicing dancing.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 13, 2011

Yep, they will tell you at rehearsal. I don't remember the details but that much I know.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011

Your bride will tell you at rehearsal. She might want the slow feet together walk, or just something natural. Unless she wants you to dance or something, I think normally you just walk normally but slower. I wouldn't look around and smile like I was in a parade, but I wouldn't look straight ahead and refuse to make eye contact with people, either. lol. Basically, be natural. I don't even remember walking down the aisle at my friend's wedding. I remember walking into the reception though because we danced in with a groomsman and we all had our own song.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011

Do you remember the hilarious video from a wedding last year where the wedding party had rehersed a dance going down the alise? Let's hope she doesn't want that - lol!

Here is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2011

I don't think anyone does the step, feet together, step thing anymore. You should walk like you normally do, but at a slower pace. Smile naturally and look towards the front/altar. It's okay if you look around a bit, but like silverspoon said, this isn't a parade.

In any case, at the rehearsal the bride and/or officiant will tell you how to walk. You'll probably even get to practice once or twice. I'm sure you won't look goofy. :)

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Mar 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure this is how its supposed to be done.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2011

Normal... just a little slower...
    Funny you posted this becaue I have to light a special candle in a wedding & I was thinking the same thing... bt I tink I"LL WALK AT A NORMAL PACE!!

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 13, 2011

We parodied this for our entrance for the staff act at the camp where I work in the summer. It was a ton of fun!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 13, 2011

If there are other bridesmaids, you should all be walking the same way. I would wait until the rehearsal and talk it over with them and whoever is officiating the wedding. The priest at my wedding told us what to do as soon as we started the rehearsal.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 13, 2011

When I was in a friend's wedding we got no instructions, so I tried to copy that scene in Father of the Bride when Steve Martin and the little boy practice in the hallway...left, together, right, together.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 13, 2011

Walk softly. And carry a big stick.

Oh wait, that doesn't fit with the scenario. Anyway, walk slowly and with long steps. There should be space between the bridesmaids. Don't worry. All the eyes will focus on the bride. Unless you dance. Or carry a stick. Enjoy.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2011

Ohhh, can I have a big stick??:p

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 14, 2011

Only if bejeweled and it matches your dress.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

Walk any way you want I don't remember how anyone walked at my 3 weddings (wait that didn't sound right)