Silent Reading....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Sep 5, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

How do you hold your students accountable for silent reading?? Do they have to take so many AR quizzes a week, do they have to write summaries, book reports...etc. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my kids. We have about 15 minutes every day for SSR.

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

I have leveled books that I call "Your Pick Books". My kids read every night and there are comprehension questions in the back that they are responsible for. I count it as homework, which is 10% of their grade. They also read while they're waiting tp use the bathroom.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

We have the AR tests, but we also use reading logs for 1st through 3rd grade, which the parents have to sign for the reading done at home.

In 5th grade we are having them journal in their folder every time they read, so if they read a page they have to write about it. I am particularly lucky this year as my co-teacher reads everything, seriously,she reads 2 books a day it seems like so the kids aren't getting away with anything. If she hasn't read the book they have chosen, she gets a copy and has it read in a couple of days so she can check if they have really been reading.

We require 1 AR test a month and they must also do a long form book report on it. We do only one a month because they are all on chapter books and we complete at least two novels a month in class.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2009

I have a reading response journal too... I have tried the AR test thing, but my administration thinks it isn't a good indicator of reading progress (or a good motivator to read), so my librarian isn't buying new tests. Boo-hoo!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

journal writing
    discussion questions, written/group/oral
    activities - make a comic strip, illustrate the turning point, illustrate a specific bit of figurative language taken from the reading, make suggestions to the main character
    predict and explain why

7. km51571

km51571 Companion

Sep 6, 2009

wow! that is surprising, AR is hugh at my school. we have a part time person who tracks their progress and hands out the awards!

besides that my 5th graders have a response journal they write in 4 x a week.

8. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Sep 6, 2009

I feel conflicted:
    Sometimes children need to read, just to read. If I had to do a report, response or test on every book I read, that would turn ME off from reading. On the other hand, we have kids that just flip pages to look like they are reading and aren't gaining anything.

9. missk83

missk83 Companion

Sep 6, 2009

I assign a nightly reading assignment of so many minutes, starting with 10, and up to 25 by the end of the year.

At the beginning of the week I give them their IRN assignment (Interactive Reader's Notebook). They have to pick one book from their log, and complete an assignment on that.

I think it's a happy medium: they are reading every night, but they only have one assignment based on their reading.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I agree 100%. This year I am giving my kids a few post it notes and letting them flag things in their books. We then do a really quick share time and I pick a few who have flagged to share. They all want to share and so they need to have something to talk about.

I teach first, too.

11. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Sep 6, 2009

This is what I'm feeling right now and I'm trying to find that happy medium (or is it median?)

Thanks for the responses!