Silent Reading Names

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by StickyNotes, Aug 10, 2007.

1. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I know there are a ton of names for silent reading time- DEAR (Drop Everything And Read), SSR, and SURF, but I'd like to hear some of the names you use in your classroom.

3. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Aug 10, 2007

Why do you have to have a name? I just call mine independent reading or quiet reading. Nothing fancy because Independent Reading is different from all of those cutsy names because it is monitored by the teacher. He/she keeps track of students reading progress through conferencing and gives them strategies to use while reading. It is not just a "free time" for the teacher as many people think.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2007

I call mine Independent Reading also.... but I follow the Self-Selected Reading model from 4 blocks, but don't call it SSR.

5. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I call mine Silent Reading/Independent Reading. I don't do centers or guided reading groups, so I got away from calling it Reader's Workshop. I still do a mini-lesson, reading time with conferencing and that's it. Mine is shortened from the formal routine.

You could call it ART.Active Reading Time. This conotes the use of strategies and readers as workers.

I actually don't have time for real Art, so that name would get my kids all exciting because they would think we are going to paint and make stuff. Sad that we don't have much time for Art anymore.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

I am constantly telling my kids that we don't have time for art so they need to stop doodling and get busy.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2007

If they are doodling, maybe it's because they need some time for art. Could you incorporate art into other subjects? Art should not be taken out of the curriculum. Innovation and design are important to our culture, and art instruction and art education helps open up creativity.

8. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I call mine independent reading because that's what it is. However, if you would like a more cutesy name, I've seen SQUIRT. If I remember correctly, it stands for Sustained, Quiet, Uninterrupted Independent Reading Time. Whew!

9. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 10, 2007

Here are a few we used in a training recently. It was pretty fun- We had teams of teachers try to guess all the acronyms before the time ran out.
    DEAR Drop Everything And Read
    SSR Sustained Silent Reading
    DIRT Daily Independent Reading Time

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

Yep we do Independent Reading time during Reading Workshop!

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

A time when students read to themselves or with an adult we call Squirt.

Solitary Quiet Uninterrupted Interesting Reading Time

12. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I made my kids a bargain last year. When they had free time in the morning they had to read, in the afternoon they could draw or read. We have browsing boxes that have non-fiction science and social studies books in it. When they are done they can read these. They are short stories with pictures. Either a book from my shelf or a browsing box book. We have art class twice a week.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2007

IDR
    Independent Daily Reading.

I have also seen SSR and DEAR.

14. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I do both:

I have a special time in the day called BEAR time:Be Excited About Reading time. During this time, the students are allowed to read anything in the classroom that would spark their interest, as long as they are reading for the whole time (usually 20 minutes). They can read magazines, comic books, poetry books, dictionaries, etc. My kids love this time of the day, although we can't have it everyday.

During Reading Workshop it is our definate independent reading time. And the kids know exactly what that means- silent reading for the whole block. Once that quiet music comes on, they know it is silent. Works everytime!:2up:

15. JRR

JRR Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I love the BEAR thing!!!! I'll have to try that!!!

16. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Aug 12, 2007

The book "The Daily Five" calls it "Read to Self." It is one of five practices kids are supposed to do every day, along with Read to Someone, Work on Writing, Spelling/Word Work, and Listen to Reading. I haven't yet tried Daily Five (it's more a management structure than a literacy plan), but it sounds promising.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

You took me too literally!:) I love art in the classroom, and thank goodness we have a great art teacher. I think the best thing I ever saw was done by a boy I had several years ago. He was so disorganized with homework and classwork, but could create like a master. He made a beautiful, huge space station with moveable parts out of his homework agenda one day at recess! I thought it was terrific, but his parents weren't impressed!

18. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 13, 2007

My son's 4th and 5th grade teacher called it SQUIRT. Sustained Quiet Un-Interrupted Reading Time

19. CDM

CDM New Member

Aug 14, 2007

My mentor last year used "Choose your own Adventure". The kids seem to like it :)

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2007

My independent reading time is during Readers' Workshop. Sometimes however the kids are reading in partnerships or book clubs. I go with "Reading Workshop"...:rolleyes:

21. Smalls04

Smalls04 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I love the BEAR idea and the "choose your own adventure". I read a couple of the choose your own adventure series books to my kids last year and they loved them. Thanks for all the great ideas.

22. keltlana

keltlana Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I call it DIRT in my room and it means Dig Into Reading Time. I make "dirt" cups with chocolate pudding, crushed Oreos and gummy worms to enjoy on the first day of school after our first reading time.

23. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2007

LOL...I have never heard of "squirt" or "dirt"...I think they're cute! I like the bear idea too... :)

24. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Aug 14, 2007

I am using PRT which stands for Personal Reading Time :)