Silent auction ideas

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by newteacher16, Sep 19, 2006.

1. newteacher16

newteacher16 Companion

Sep 19, 2006

Our parish is holding a silent auction in November, and they would like each class to create an item that can be auctioned off. Do you have any ideas on what our class can create? I'm thinking it should be something personalized, but I'm completely stuck on ideas. Any and all ideas are appreciated!!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 19, 2006

A specialized basket. Bath = bubble bath, after bath splash and etc. Movie night = bag of popcorn, coupon for a free video, couple packets of hot chocolate mix, a bag of peanuts and etc.

Craftsayings.com You will find some simple things and they each have a poem to go with them. I think the Bottled Hugs and Kisses with the little teddy bear would be darling to tuck in a basket.

Jesus Tears, a Christmas decoration and poem would make a basket special.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2006

My daughter's school has created gift baskets for auction for several years. Each class was given a theme (chocolate, book lovers, coffee lovers, couch potato, etc) and parents were asked to send in an item relating to the theme. Many of the baskets were huge and a lot of money was made!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2006

Jingle Bells (a Holiday themed), Snow/Winter theme, a movie themed basket (dvd player, dvd's, popcorn, candy, etc.), Game basket(full of board games) Sorry, not very personalized.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 19, 2006

do you have a class pet or mascott? Tie in a basket with that theme, for instance, talk to the owner of a pet shop and see if they will give you any supplies or a certificate for a hamster (or what every class pet you have) then bring in books, food, bedding, or stuff for the cage, pet toys etc..... If your mascott is something like a fish find a fish resturant to donate a coupon for a free dinner or something, if its something like a horse, get some book covers, folders with horse pictures on them or books about horses.

Make a basket with a family night theme, chocolate bars, marshmallows and grahm crackers and directions for making smores using the oven or microwave, include a family game like yatzee, snacks, movie rental coupon.

If you have forest preservs, museums or aquariums in your area put together things for those, disposable camera, journal with your theme (use stickers) facts about animals or plants they might see, certificate for gift shop at that place, tickets to get in, plush animal like squirl or fish.

Game day: dice, cards, puzzles, small prizes, timers, pencils, paper (for keeping score) etc....

quiet time: books, bookmarkers, word puzzle book, sudoko book, crayons, coloring books, journal, movie rental coupon.

Scrapbooking for school days: scrap book with school color(s), edging scisors, punches, stickers, gel pens, scrap book paper with school themes.

Crafts with the kids: fun foam, beads, pipe cleaners, felt, buttons, paper bags (for making puppets), sequins, wood shape cut outs, paints, glue, scisors, wood frames, feathers, wiggle eyes, craft sticks, magnets.

Out on the town family night: dinner coupons (try to negotiate free) at kid's favorites like pizza hut, McDonalds, Ice cream place, roler skate free rentals, bowling, mini golf, tokens for arcade, rock wall/climbing etc.....

Read a book: book bag, books, book marker, certificate for book store, book covers, book light, your choice coupon for a scolastic book (give $$ limit if you pay for it your self) book on tape etc...

build a bird house: hammer, nails, wood glue, paint, wood kit or pre made bird house from craft store, bird book, bird seed (for bird feeder)

Pizza making kit: pizza wheel, pizza pan, pizza cook book, boboli shells, store bought pizza sauce, grocery store gift card (to buy the cheese and toppings) pizza server, red checkered napkins, plates sturdy paper), 2 litter pop etc...

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2006

We had basket auctions at my old school.... They sold like hotcakes. The americana themed ones would go for several hundred dollars (we are a military town tho)

I would do the ask for donations thing. The pampering baskets usually go for a lot too (and you may be able to get a spa to donate something).

8. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Sep 19, 2006

Kids love to see their names and their classmates names. Just that the students want it will make a parent buy it.
    I have found an old desk and painted it one color, then had all the kids sign it, placed color pics of the kids on it, and then decoupaged it.
    The year I did this I was at a private school with two sets of very competitive parents. Their little girls had been talking about how much they had to have this desk. It went for $2,000. That will never happen again.

9. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Sep 19, 2006

Oh, another class decorated a concrete bench really nice with paints and all. It sold well also.

10. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Sep 19, 2006

If you have students make individual crafts available for purchase parents feel like they have to buy it. I know, I bought my son's craft last year, and will do it again this year.

Oh! Make a quilt of everyone's personal message, signature, picture, etc.

11. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Sep 21, 2006

Oh! Snapfish.com creates great items with photos. Snap a pic and sell that!

12. irisheyes

irisheyes Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

I agree with Mrs. A. If a child wants it, the parent will want it. Parents will also want it if has a child's handprint, signature, or something with a significant meaning to either the child or parent (about the child). And competition can be fierce among parents like Mrs. A pointed out.

If you don't have time to make a whole quilt, maybe you could make a quilt block or apron.

Themed baskets are always a good idea because you can have the student be involved in filling it. When I go to the auctions and my child isn't in the school, I go for chocolate filled baskets, pet baskets (filled with pet toys, grooming certificates, bowls, etc., etc.).

Kids will bug their parent to no end if the baskets have something that they want. My nephew went crazy one year for an "all-boy" basket one year as did my daughter with an "all-girl" basket. Girls are easier to get a basket together because there is just more to find that doesn't cost a lot (if each child had to bring an item in to participate).

Good luck. You have to let us know what you decided and how it turned out.

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 22, 2006

also along the lines of personalizing with names and hand prints:

get an apron from craft store and let the kids all put their handprint on it and after its dry sign it with a sharpie marker. Then put it in the basket with a rolling pin, cookie cutters, sprinkles, cookie cookbook

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2006

My school does a basket auction each year where each class has to fill a basket according to a theme. It's so much fun! We've had themes like: sports, golf, ice cream, movies, family fun, summertime, crafts, health and hygiene (that one was really better than it sounds), techie, music, spa day, mom's day out, dad's day out, etc. You should see how creative the baskets can be!

This coming year, they're auctioning off garden mosaics that the kids made. They're gorgeous, but HUGE, and it makes me feel sad that they'll be taken out of the garden. I think a decoupaged school desk or rocking chair would be really cool!

We've also sold tiles that go in drop ceilings that the kids have decorated, and they were a hit, too.

One teacher always donates an evening of babysitting (up to 5 hours), and since she's a very popular teacher, it's always a big hit. One year it went for $500! The kids were badgering their parents to buy it, buy it, buy it!

15. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Sep 22, 2006

I always like

"family night" a board game, deck of cards, popcorn..

and

"date in a box" a nice love story dvd like notebook or something, popcorn, hot chocolate, etc..

One time I got one like that (it was for a party with ONLY adults) and it had a dvd, popcorn, chocolate, and beer! Cracked me up. (I don't even drink beer, but i thought, what a good idea!)

Oh, and for cost cutting, avoid "baskets"- plastic/rubbermaid tubs and crates usually are far cheaper, and work just as well!

16. clousem

clousem New Member

Oct 6, 2006

our school has an auction every year and last year our elementary kids (K-6) made a book (each class). On the bottom of the page it said "When I grow up, I want to_________________". the kids would fill in the blanks and draw a picture depicting what they wanted to be. We put a spiral binder on each class' book and sold them in our silent auction. The parents loved them. We laminated the cover and last page of the book. good luck....
    Mary - St. Albert - Iowa

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 6, 2006

We do a basket idea too! It's always a hit. We actually team up with another teacher to create the basket. Some do football, golf, movie night, candles, chocolate, etc... Our group always does a reading/writing basket. We send a letter home to parents asking for items that go along with our theme. Last year ours was worth about $45, and sold for $125. We also get local business' to donate items (recliners, sofas, lamps, jewelery, etc...).

18. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Oct 7, 2006

My class donated a pasta bowl filled with dried pasta, a donated gift cert., olive oil, breadsticks etc. One of the moms came in and got the children to make daisies on the bowl with their thumbprints. She wrote each child's name next to their flower then had it fired at the local ceramic studio.The parents were bidding like crazy to get it! Funny enough, I ended up getting it as an end of the year gift from the class!
    Some of the teachers also donate such things as a round of mini golf for 2, ice cream sundaes, out for lunch, tea party etc. with the teacher. Those kinds of things usually generate a good amount of money!
    Other classes decorated furniture (bookcases, rocking charis, toyboxes etc.) with colorful decals, book baskets were very big, as were food baskets. Businesses in town were very generous in donating gift certificates and other items as well.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 8, 2006

We do the basket thing every year as well. Another good generic theme is baby items. Even if you don't have a baby, the basket can become a ready made gift for someone else!

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 8, 2006

We made cement pavers for our grandparents flower beds. HOT item. The children placed their hands in them. I bought a mold for less than $5.00 (it will last for ever) at Hobby Lobby. You can buy their mix, or call a local lumber yard and get a cement mix donated. Each child makes ones and I promise that they will sell.