signs you won't be getting the job....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by burgandy01, Aug 17, 2015.

1. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 17, 2015

1) "Thank you for your time".

2) Only one interviewer

3) "It's up to HR".

4) "It was great for you to come out".

5) "I wish you luck".

6) overly sympathetic "thank you"

7) No effort to get to know you

8) Interviewer looks bored, checks clock

Anything you'd like to add??? :|

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 17, 2015

I've gotten hired with only one interviewer (the P) and interview. :)

4. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 17, 2015

There will always be exceptions, but that is not the norm.

5. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Aug 17, 2015

The one interviewer vs a panel seems to be a regional thing. Bigger cities vs smaller districts from what I could tell. It has nothing to do with your likely hood to get hired or not. I only had 1 on 1 interviews with the principal, probably has to do with the districts I applied at and wanting to work in a smaller district over a larger one.

The first four you stated wouldn't automatic mean your out.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 17, 2015

I agree, one interviewer doesn't mean you're out. Around here it's only up to the principal to hire you, unless the principal establishes a hiring committee.

My first teaching job I got hired from just meeting the principal. She wanted me to meet and interview with the AP the next day, but when I went into the school they were like here's your classroom and grade level team, you're hired.

Same happened to a friend of mine. These were all late in August interviews. But most of the interviews I've done in my public school system were with just the P.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 17, 2015

None of the things you mentioned are definite signs of not getting the job. The interviewer could be checking the clock for personal reasons. No, not professional, but we're all human. What if this person has a crisis at home and needs to get home asap?
    Overly sympathetic "thank you" might be a very warm thank you, you just read it wrong.

I'd say do your best, stay positive, but keep your options open until you have something definite.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 17, 2015

All of my interviews with more than one person (with the exception of one) have only had more than one person because multiple schools in the district were interviewing for the same position. The one that wasn't was a small district where the principal, who was also the superintendent would do interviews with his vice principal, who was at the school whenever he was doing district business

9. ~HistoryNut~

~HistoryNut~ Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

I was hired after an interview with just the principal; likewise, my district's other new hires were interviewed only by either their P or AP. No committees or second rounds necessary. It really does seem to be a regional or even district-to-district thing.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2015

I've been hired more than once with only one interviewer.

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Aug 18, 2015

That's a good one right there. I remember interviewing for an admin job at a college that I really wanted. I thought it was going really great, and before I left, the dean starting giving tips about other places that were hiring. I knew it was a no-go.

12. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 18, 2015

OMG!! This topic is too funny. I had an interview today for a special ed teaching position (I haven't been a teacher in years and honestly, yeah I should have brushed up on special ed. deadlines and things so it was my fault).

They asked me 3 specific special ed questions with timelines and I got all of them wrong. I could see the special ed. coordinator trying to hold in her laugh!

At the end the principal shook my hand and said "GOOD LUCK".

Yeah not a good sign!

Only reason I'm laughing this off is I really didn't want this job to begin with.

13. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 18, 2015

I've experienced number 7 on that list more times than I can count! Actually experienced it today, as a matter of fact. Principal asked me one question then just went ahead and described the position in a bored tone.

I think when it's obvious the principal or hiring committee hasn't actually read your resume...then that's a bad sign. For today's interview, principal had emailed me and asked to come in to interview for a position. Never mentioned grade level or anything. Turns out it was for kindergarten. I am not certified in that. She looked over my resume during the interview and actually stumbled over her words when she saw I wasn't certified in it on my resume. I just sat there with a blank look on my face. It isn't my fault you didn't read my resume beforehand! You had over a week to do so!

Back to the drawing board. Sigh.

14. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 18, 2015

I hope you didn't have to travel far for this interview! I had one where they said it was part time but that was never mentioned in the ad. I traveled almost 2 hours each way for a job I later found out I could never afford to take!

15. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

Okay, modified list based on responses. Perhaps being interviewed by only 1 person doesn't mean for sure no. It's just that for PE I found it odd that the other coach wasn't present.

16. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 18, 2015

Maybe when they don't bother touching any documents or portfolios you bring in and nobody even asks to keep one.

I experienced this, they came across as rude.

17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2015

I've definitely received an offer where no one was interested in looking at what I brought with me. That's not a sign you won't get hired... It just means they a) don't have time, b) have a procedure they follow with all candidates, or c) they really aren't interested in seeing (despite still being interested in you!).

18. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 18, 2015

I have to agree with Bella on that. I have found looking or not looking makes no difference. I've had some ask for print outs of things I've done (which made me think they were interested) and ended up not getting the job.

19. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 19, 2015

Thank you for your interest..

20. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 19, 2015

Haha...that one takes the cake!! :crosseyed