Signs of ADHD:Impulsive Type

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Christine3, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 12, 2007

Hi everyone,
    What are some signs of ADHD?
    I am in need some information on ADHD...
    Any good sites? More for the impulsive type.
    Thanks...:cool:

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2007

I my school, we get information on the kids who have been diagnosed with ADHD. I would suggest you rely on the diagnosis of an expert. Symptoms vary a lot. If you suspect a kid has ADHD, you might ask his parents if he has been tested for it. For general information, you can start here. There is a lot more information readily available on the internet.

I have a kid with ADHD in one of my classes. When he has not taken his medication, he likes to get up and move around the classroom. Sometimes he will come up to where I am and sit on a stool near me. It doesn't bother me and I let him do it as long as he is not disrupting the rest of the class. He has trouble paying attention to what is going on. He cannot perform on a test.

When he has taken his medication, he is quiet. He pays attention and participates appropriately in class. And he does well on tests.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

Try and get the Connor's Rating Scale. It is what most psychologists have teachers and parents fill out.

5. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 13, 2007

Okay thanks for your tips guys!

6. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 13, 2007

Any other tips? thanks!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

Have you tried the C.H.A.D.D. site?

Some more tips:

1. Use a very simple behavior management system.
    2. Give all feedback and redirection in a neutral tone.
    3. Never use sarcasm or even make jokes about your expectations or the student's behavior. Lots of ADD kids can't read ambiguity.
    4. Provide something tactile, and silent, for fidgety kids.
    5. Provide opportunities for the student to be teacher's helper often.
    6. Start every day with a brief private talk to the student. "I am looking forward to seeing you participate in class after you have raised your hand...." or something like that. End the day with some feedback.
    7. Allow time periodically for the child to clean out his desk/locker/backpack.
    8. When child is fidgeting, suggest that he do something active that is acceptable - get a drink, collect papers, sharpen pencils.
    9. ADD students sometimes see the world differently from other children. Accept it and help foster positive social interaction.
    10. Remember that his parents may not get much positive feedback so it is quite necessary.
    11. Maintain a very consistent schedule (within reason).
    12. Try to vary activity levels throughout the day. Act immediately to curtail any activity that even appears to be headed out of control.

8. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 15, 2007

thanks!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

I'm sure there must be more input here on ADHD kids....

10. Zrocker

Zrocker Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

Posting on a forum;) Well perhaps just those of us who rack up the post counts.

The school blackmailed my parents into putting me on ritalin; but, that didn't last long. Made me even more hyper:) Don't actually remember taking it. My mom once mentioned my going on it from a ritalin discussion.

One of my teacher would use me to get the shy kids to talk. Putitng the loud mouth next to the quiet. Probably lucky she didn't get two loud mouths;)

11. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

LOL. Great story....I need some ways to handle the impulsive type... thanks!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

You could set up a contract with the student which includes specific strategies to counteract the impulse to react to stimuli. It could include things like, count to 5, write it down, stop and question, etc. Give points or checks or stars or something and help the student become responsible for recognizing on his o0wn when he has used a strategy. Obviously, the goal.

13. IMac

IMac Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

Is the student hyperactive or inattentive?

14. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 20, 2007

Hyperactive.

15. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 21, 2007

I have a student who is ALWAYS standing out of his chair. I need some ways of signaling him quietly to go back. I don't want me yelling his name out to distract others. Although, sometimes children with ADHD only respond to that. But do you have any ideas on something I can do to signal him? Thanks!

16. IMac

IMac Rookie

Mar 27, 2007

The student has to buy into responding to a signal that you agree on. If he doesn't, it doesn't matter what the signal is. Can the student stand at his desk and work for some of the day? Does he have opportunities to move around between sitting sessions? I have ADHD and I don't like people yelling at me.