Signs of a good interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HOPE-fulTeacher, Jul 9, 2011.

1. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

I had an interview over Skype a few days ago, and with me only being able to see part of what was going on and not always being the best at reading facial expressions and body language, I came away from the interview feeling good about my part, but still a little unsure of how they felt. (I think they responded fairly well, but again, I'm not the greatest at reading interview teams.)

What would you consider to be signs of a good interview?

OR

What would you consider to be signs of an OK interview? (Not a terrible interview...I'm not looking for horror stories. Just ones that were average/ok)

3. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

I've never had a Skype interview but my 'okay' interviews always were ones that they 'good luck' at the end or when I am leaving, when they don't smile much or nod their head, or when they ask me to explain further or say 'what do you mean?'

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 9, 2011

Setting up a time right then to go a second interview is always a great sign :)

I would also say if the other person was willing to have a discussion with you about whatever during the interview that shows they want to make a connection with you. Also the person sharing some stuff about the school is also a good sign.

(During one interview, we were talking about benefits that are included-- this was before I knew I was going to be hired-- and we talked about having dental. Some how that led into a conversation about the root canals we've had :) )

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 9, 2011

Saying something about the job in the second person ("You would work with this group of students") may indicate that the interviewer can picture you in the position.

6. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Jul 9, 2011

WHen thye call you and tell you you have the job. I walked out of my last interveiw uncertain. It is tough to read people and the interveiwers may have a long list of candidates.

7. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jul 10, 2011

BioAngel, That's actually what happened to get this one! The P originally left a message wanting me to call them to have (what I gather) was an informal phone screening interview, and the message said also to get times of availability for a possible 2nd interview. We actually set up the 2nd interview (this one I had a few days ago) at the end of the phone call. At both interviews, the P also told me some stuff about the school and community. (And LUC, I didn't get any "good lucks" at the end, so thats good too!) :)

The P did smile and comment back after several questions, or said something like "good" or "excellent" on a few, but they also sometimes just acknowledged that I was done with a nod and then looked down to read the next question on a few, which made me nervous. (It's like what a prof told me in college about giving tests to students...don't say "good" after they get one right because then you have to say it every time or they might think their answer was wrong. That's totally how I felt when the P would say "excellent" for one question and then on the next one just nod and keep moving. Haha!)