Signing the contract.....

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by KIF, Jun 27, 2005.

1. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 27, 2005

Ok, veterans out there and those newbies who have signed contracts.......

What do I need to look out for?

How can I prepare for this?

What do I need to know?

I've got the job and I'm excited.......just nervous about signing the line!

Thanks-

3. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 27, 2005

I just signed my fist contract the beginning of the month. It was pretty straight forward. It did not really have any legal mumbo jumbo and the district rep went through everything with me very slowly. Hopefully yours will be similar. The main thing on mine was the salary, length of term, that my certification was intact, and that I had not signed anywhere else. It was just one legal size page.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2005

Read everything and be sure to contact your union rep and get a copy of the district contract. There shouldn't really be anything "negotiable" in an individual contract in a public school, but you definitely want to know what is there. Congratulations!

5. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 29, 2005

I just signed mine a week ago and there wasn't anything that I didn't understand. It was the standard county contract just with my name, salary and position inserted. The HR director was also there and went over anything if we had questions.

6. chase

chase Rookie

Jul 5, 2005

Well the district that I signed for just sent the contract through the mail and it was pretty much everything that I already knew. I was excited as well but I am still nervous about the first day of school. Plus the NEW Teacher orientation that I have to go to. I am just ready. Question when do i get my classroom ready the school doesn't open up until JULY 28 so do I go then and try to get my class together?

7. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

Technically my school does not reopen till August 8th. However, I contacted the secretary (she comes back the 25th of July) and the custodial staff (never leave) and they said to come whenever I want and they will let me in as soon as they are done cleaning my room and hall. This will be the end of this week. To make it better the secretary said if I have things ready to be laminated and copied she would start that when she comes back so I dont have to wait for the Teacher's Assistance that dont come back till the 8th. It is worth making a call and asking. Most know as a new teacher it takes longer to set the classroom and get things together.

8. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 6, 2005

Our school has someone there everyday so we are free to go in and set up our rooms through out the summer. I would call and see if there is someone there to let you in.

9. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 6, 2005

go for it you need all the time you can get. Don't plan to use any of the time once preplanning starts to get stuff done,

10. chase

chase Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

well i don't know if they changed my room assignment and the pricipal won't be there until the end of the month. So I guess I will be in limbo until then. DO I have to purchase my things and then get reimbursed or what? I was also thinking about letting my students decorate the room to what they felt was a better environment for them that way they would have pride in their classroom because they did the work also? I didn't know if that was a good idea or not?

11. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

My school does not reimburse for anything. Everything as far as posters, decorations, etc is out of my pocket. Look on ebay or check for sales. If you need books for a classroom library also check scholastic for a warehouse sale in your area. They are great to get books - all usually half price or less. Is your secratary in the building? She will know ALOT if she is. Also you can contact the members of your team.

12. chase

chase Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

Well they didn't give me anything to go on so all i know is that they will be back at the end of the month. I figured that I would be back up there when they opened. So do you think that I should let the students help me do the room or should I just put something together for them and then let them do it over the school year. thanks alot

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 6, 2005

I want our room ready to go. I don't want to waste time and energy decorating after students arrive. What we buy we pay for. Put your name on it so if and when you change classes or schools you know what is yours. Buy books for your library, games and puzzles for recess time on rain and snow days at garage sales, Salvation Army Shops, thrift shops and etc. Janitors tell us when they are finished cleaning the room and we go in anytime. Call the school and talk with the secretary. Most of our rooms are ready and teachers are getting ready.

14. KIF

KIF Companion

Jul 14, 2005

If you need books for a classroom library also check scholastic for a warehouse sale in your area. They are great to get books - all usually half price or less.

How do you find out about these?????

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2005

Our school receives notices of Scholastic warehouse sales, and once you have been to one and registered, you will receive personal notification (and sometimes a $5.00 off coupon!). Try checking on-line for the nearest location ( I have to drive about 45 minutes), and sale notices. Around here, the sales are mid-December (not a great time to spend more money) and in May. We also have one next week because they are moving to a new warehouse.