Signed intent to return but went on interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsDouglas, Jul 11, 2013.

1. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

My current school almost didn't hire me back because of a miscommunication. I love my students but the drive to work has been tough. Since my contract ends each year, I decided to apply to schools closer to my home. My Principal told me that he was going to try to hire me back. I told him that I was interviewing for practice and because of the drive. I had an amazing interview with a school 10 minutes away. On the last day of school I found out that I didn't get the job. The P told me that I should sign my contract and she would call me if she got the resignation letter she was expecting. A week later I asked my AP about signing my contract and she said they didn't have one for me because they didn't think I was coming back. I had to convince my P that I wanted to return and that my reason for wanting to leave was not the demographic of the students (miscommunication). After I signed my intent to return, I turned down a ton of offers to interview.

I went on an interview yesterday for a school that would cut my commute in half. I completely forgot to tell the P that I would need to give 30-days notice to my current school. Should I call today and tell her before she calls references? I like the school and think it could be a good fit. Should I email the interviewer? What should I say?

3. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Forgot to mention that I have 4 references on file with the county. They are very recent because of the first interview which I did not get. The interview from yesterday and the P waiting for a resignation are neighboring schools.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

How many days until school starts?

5. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

45 days until the first day

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

So you are well within the thirty days notice.

7. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I'm well within my notice time. I'm just worried that the P I interviewed with will call my current Principal. I don't want to jeopardize my job if I don't get this job. Do Principals call your current school if you have their reference on file?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

Yes...typically if they are seriously considering hiring you. You might want to shoot the interviewing P a thank you email today reiterating your interest in the job and request that your current school not be contacted until final decisions are being made about hiring. Did you sign a contract with your current school?

I'm not understanding how your commute is cut in half if your current school and interviewing school are neighboring?

9. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Thank you for the advise. The school that turned me down and the school I interviewed with are neighboring schools. My current school is in another district.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

I would talk to the new school and explain that you don't want your current school to know until they have to check for references. THEN tell your P.

In NC, you don't have to give 30 days prior to reporting. I've known of several teachers that quit the week before we came back.

11. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Thank you. Do I not have to give 30 days because I have not signed my official contract?

I emailed the Principal saying that the school would be a great place for me, I was hoping to join her team, and requesting her not to contact my current school until the final decision. I let her know that my Principal's recommendation is on file with the county. She emailed back saying thank you and she would be in contact almost immediately.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

Didn´t you sign an intent to return, though? I´m not sure how binding that is, but my verbal intent to return caused me to have to wait an entire school year before I could change to my current school (that´s down here, though).

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

MsD...are you certain your current school is holding a job for you?

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 11, 2013

I was going to ask this as well. It does not sound like you have been contracted to do anything. A letter of intent means that if they offer, you intend to say yes.

15. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I'm not sure my job is safe which is part of the reason I wanted to go on the interview.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

45 days out and you still don't know?

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

czacza, the state of NC budget won't be finalized until the end of the month. Layoffs could still happen depending on how it goes.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

Yikes...this would make me anxious! :hugs: I hope it all works out for you and that the new P calls you with good news!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

Wowza. That's stressful!

20. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

NC is increasingly stressful. Talking to all of you made me start freaking out about my current job. I just got off the phone with HR. My 'Contingency Agreement' was fully signed and submitted to HR. They are doing the contract round up next week, where I will sign my official contract. Thank goodness.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 11, 2013

Great news. Worst case scenario you return to your current school.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

I'm confused...is the contract for the old job (current one) or the new job?

23. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Sorry old job. I'm still waiting to hear on the new job.