Signals??????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JaimeMarie, Aug 28, 2007.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 28, 2007

Do you use the same signal for freeze and look and silence? And what do you do? I am thinking I'll just use the clap signal.

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Aug 28, 2007

Clapping pattern or
    Readers and Writers give me 10 (they hold up both hands)
    1,2,3 eye on me (they say 1,2, eyes on you)
    When I say 1st you say grade

I use a variety but I rely mostly on Readers and Writers give me 10 (10 b/c I want them to put down their markers/crayons etc)

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 28, 2007

Thank you for responding.

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

My son's 4th grade teacher uses supercalifragi..... However you spell it.He will say the supercalifragi.... and they will say DOCIOUS all together with eyes on him. Sorry about the spelling, but you get the point. He also says: chili pepper (they look up) mash potato (they look down) something else (can't remember) (they look left) and then something else (they look right) and the Mr. E (they look at him). You could vary this. He is really goofy with the kids so these things fit him perfectly.

I use the same things musicalgator does. Also, Give me Five works well.

Good luck! :)

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2007

I have a wind chime I ring. I find it less annoying then having to speak OVER them when they are doing group work and stuff. Plus, it is a nice sound!

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

I like that idea alot!! The teacher down the hall has a bell she rings, but it is an old cow bell and it is SO annoying!!! I may get her windchimes for christmas!! :)

8. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I just start from day one saying "first graders" and showing a "zero" with my right hand. I look down at the ground and wait for them to get quiet. It usually takes less than 10 seconds (they tap each other and do the zero hand as well).

Saves my voice and I have no extra clapping (which I had when I tried that method).

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

clapping, lights off, 123 eyes on me (1,2 eyes on you)

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

OH MY GOODNESS I love it. But I'm a little nervous about using it in kindergarten the first day :) Maybe half way through the year it will work nicely.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

Oh I like that also. I forgot about Volume Zero, Volume One and so on. I think I'll teach that also. Thank you!

12. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 29, 2007

If I say "class", they say "yes." If I say "ears" they say "open." On both of these chants they stop what they are doing and listen for direction or comments. If I say "eyeballs," they say "click." They stop what they are doing and look up at me. I have fourth grade and they love being able to shout out. I love it because some of the other teachers down the hall insist on silence at all times and we break it.

13. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

My whole school adopted the same system, so we all use voice level 0 = no talking, 1 = whisper, 2 = talking, 3 = yelling (and headache :eek:).

It's great because you can see any kid in the hall, cafeteria, etc... and remind them what voice level they should be using in that area.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 30, 2007

Yes the school I worked at two yrs ago did the same thing. It worked well yesterday with my students in the hallway.