Signals to get their attention?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Aug 3, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I've been using a little clap/song signal .... but it's not working. Should I try something different or continue to reinforce the one I've already put in place. They are suppose to freeze when they hear the signal but half of them don't and we usually have to "try again".... am I doing something wrong or will they eventually get it?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I would keep trying again. I wouldn't begin the next activity/talk until you have all eyes on you and it is quiet. Then I would practice it again right then and there so they will do it as soon as you clap. Maybe try a new signal... and see if it works better.

4. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Whole brain teaching.

5. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I use "Stop and give me five!!" in a big voice. At this point, they are all supposed to close their mouths, put their eyes on me, point their feet towards me, put their listening ears on and put their hand up in the air to show me they have all five of their body parts giving me all of their attention. It goes with our class rules (they are all detailed on a chart for a visual reminder) we go over the rules several times a day the first week and we do lots of random practicing for "STOP AND GIVE ME FIVE!" and when they all do it, I verbally praise them and give them a class reward (which will be an added link in the chain- the kids have to earn 100 links-when it will touch the floor) and then we will have a special whole class reward.

After several weeks of "Stop and give me five", the kids get so good at it, it's a jaw dropper of a reaction to do when parents are around (for a party or something). It's great!

6. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I do Whole brain teaching and I also do the "If you can hear me touch your nose, if you can hear clap your hands"...and so on until I have all their attention. I ended up doing that more and more last year and the kids really like it. Plus I could make it different every time what I wanted them to do.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I do that too...if you can hear me, put your hands on your head. If you can hear me, put your finger on your nose. If you can hear me, put your knees to your chest, etc. The kids get a kick out of it.

8. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I use one that I found on this website a while back. I say loudly "alligator alligator" and the kids all say back "chomp" while making a big motion with their hands. This gets me their attention but also requires them to stop whatever they're doing with their hands so I really have their attention. I'm sure they'll get the hang of what you're doing, just practice practice practice!!!!

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

At the beginning of the year, I will turn out the lights (yes, I know-can't do that on the playground) and say, 1,2,3, eyes on me. After a short while, I don't need to turn out the lights, but it DOES get their attention until they learn the other signal.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

11. teach4christ

teach4christ Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I use a few wind chimes hung around my room. They make such an unusual noise that everyone can hear it even with classroom noise. When they hear it they say "Quiet time chime". I occasionally also say these rhymes which they repeat back line by line:

I can listen very well
    I can listen can you tell?
    See my eyes they look at you
    And my mouth gets quiet too

Listen, listen to the sounds
    Listen to the sounds around
    You can hear them if you try it
    You can hear them if you're quiet

Keep working at whatever you've put in place... they'll get the hang of it!

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I like the idea of the chimes, then you don't have to use your voice.

13. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

One of the teachers I work with uses "If you can hear my voice, clap once......" "If you can hear my voice, clap twice" He's using that with 6th and 7th graders as well as when he taught Elem. school. It works well....by the time he gets to twice everyone is paying attention (or at least knows he wants their attention) because they have heard one set of claps.

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

Love the alligator idea!

Teach4christ - Love the poem!:)

I do several cues throughout the year to keep it fresh. I say, continue to practice what you already have in place! Try it every 30 minutes or so! The first of the year is tough! Even lining up for lunch - I'd start 15 minutes before we needed to leave because I wouldn't take them down the hall until it was done perfectly. Quiet and chairs tucked in. Someone would talk and I'd say, "okay, go sit down and lets try it again."

Sometimes you will feel like you're being mean but the start of the year is so important to lay the foundation for the rest of the year.

Some signals I use:

"Put your hands in the air.
    Put your hand on your hair.
    Put your hands on your hips.
    Put your fingers on your lips.
    Listen to me!"
    (I like this one because they have to do the motions)

Power teaching steal - I say, "Class, Class" and my class responds, "Yes, yes". If I sing it, they have to sing it. They make their voice match mine. They LOVE this!

If you can hear me clap two times, three times, etc.

Clap your hands, (clap, clap, clap)
    Stomp your feet, (stomp, stomp, stomp)
    Put your bottom at your seat.

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I like Class Yes! - power teaching!

16. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

I love this, too! I love it when I do it in front of the parents and they are amazed!

17. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Aug 6, 2009

rhythmic clapping works as well. This is the one method that held steady all year!

18. kinderdl

kinderdl Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

With little ones I use
    123 Look at me
    123 shh shh shh
    Freeze!!! They love it and are all looking at me!!
    Also, I translated it to spanish for my spanish lang arts group..

Sometimes, I say hands on your laps backs are straight, beautiful smiles, pretty eyes looking at teacher.

My favorite and thanks to my co worker the kids are always referred to as scholars.

We often say wow look at these scholars of excellence and believe me they know what a scholar is!!!

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

if we are going soemwhere and I need themto stop I say "freeze" we have a song they love called the freeze song that youhave to freezeyour body in whatever postion you arei n whenever the workd freeze is sung, so the kids are used to the word freeze. Iuse 123 eyes on me and I have an EAsy Button from Staples that they love to push, so if they give me theri attention when I ask for it or do their work right the first time (follow the directions not perfect work) they get to push it, so I use that too. I've thought about getting a whistle!

20. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I use Clap once if you can hear me...
    Class, Yes/ Claaaass, Yeeeess...(it´s their favourite!!!!!!FOR SURE)
    Stop, look and listen, touch your head, touch your hair...
    Eyes on me one, eyes on me two, eyes on me NOW!
    I often use Simon says, but it´s quite common and they do not like it at all