Sight words?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jeljohns, Jul 30, 2009.

1. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I was curious as to how 1st and 2nd grade teachers introduce sight words. How many per week, where do you pick them from? Is there a certain order to go by?

Thanks!

3. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I use the sight words from www.theschoolbell.com and I go by the order that they have presented. My students are advanced so I try to get through 20 words a week.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

Grade 2, I don't 'introduce' them at all, I reinforce them...I hit on them during word work, some will end up on kids' individualized spelling lists...but that's about it.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

Ditto the pp about The School Bell. I believe it is a first grade teacher's website, so it is a method she's tried and uses successfully. I used it for quite some time. Now I have shortened the list to only the 72 that are used in the Wilson Reading Series.

I break it up into manageable chunks (5 - 10 per week, depending on student).

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 30, 2009

I do 5- 7 words a week. I introduce them using Month by Month Phonics for First Grade, which has been invaluable to me. Over 8 years, the kids have learned the words with about 95% accuracy overall. I could go into great detail, but the book handles it better.

I have average kids, so I can't imagine giving 20 words a week. Check out the book - I believe it is on Amazon - it has lots of suggestions for teaching sight words using both sides of the brain and making it fun for the kids. I can't argue with success!!

7. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I have Month-By-Month phonics, but as far as I could tell it doesn't say what words to do each week. That is what I am looking for...a schedule of words I guess. I have lots of Dolch and sight word lists, but I am unsure as to the order to pick them each week.

8. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Dolch

Our first graders can handle no more than 10 new words per week.

9. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

But HOW do you choose the words you use each week?

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 31, 2009

Great question. There are some sites that will have the sight word list, with activities to go along with that list for that week. All my stuff is packed up or I could give you specific sites. I think there are classroom sites and teachers have included what they do with sight words. You could google "sight word activities" or "sight word lists" and follow another teacher's plan - why reinvent the wheel?

I begin with the words that are in my easiest readers, and that are in little books I print out. I, and, the, see, like, these would probably be my first week's words. I SHOULD have a plan that I can use each year along with the activities for each list. But, I have found that it is more effective in my classroom for me to tailor the list to the group.

So I get ideas for sight words during the previous week. What words are my lowest readers struggling with in their easy readers? What words to kids ask "how do you spell . . ." during the week. As a word comes up, I jot it on the corner of the white board for ideas for next week.

Otherwise, I use the Dolch list and jot the date down when I choose a sight word. I try very hard to mix up the words so each week's sight words begin with a different letter. I give clues on the number and color words. With the word LOOK I make the O's into eyes, etc.

So for me, I choose the next week's sight words according to what the class is needing. I get lots of words from guided reading - what words are used a lot that the kids are missing.

Does this help? I think The Four Blocks book might present weekly lists. I always begin with 5 words each week, maybe bump it up to 6 or 7 as they get more confident. My goal is that every child succeed with our oral quiz at the end of the week. We practice our sight word flash cards almost everyday at circle time. On Friday, I pair up two kids and they take the oral quiz together - they don't say the words together, but take turns together. I've found this helps the less confident kids, if they have a buddy. A few times I have had kids who just can't do the oral part of the quiz with the rest of the class - they freeze up. So I give them the oral quiz privately and they do great! Whatever works - I will also give a second chance for the quiz on Monday if they haven't learned them by Friday.

11. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 31, 2009

12. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Why not teach the first Dolch words on the computer?

www.yourchildlearns.com/Reader/reader.html

has about 80 of the Dolch words in an animated story--a lot more involving than workbooks.

Why not have the kiddos (after the very first few words, or the computer game) read little books? The words are much easier to remember in context, and the words they need to know first are basically the ones they encounter first.

Margot

13. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I use Fry's first 100 for my first graders. What I like about Fry's list is that it's more current than Dolch and is ranked in order of frequency. The first 100 make up about half of all printed material. This is one of the first individual assessments that I give to my students. I use these assessments to determine their individual needs and I involve the parents in helping them learn these words at home.

14. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Go to Wholebrainteaching.com join, and download SuperSpeed 100. It is a free game, and it teaches the 100 most common sight words in order of commonality. The kids love it, too!