Sight Words

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bethany1120, Apr 28, 2008.

1. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Apr 28, 2008

I teach at a private school where we do not have a set reading curriculum and have pretty free reign in how and what we can teach. This can be great but a pain at times as well.....

Anyways, I'm not sure if I'm approaching sight word assessments correctly. For 3rd quarter I assessed the kids on about 35 sight words (plus color words) that we have been working on throughout the year. Most of the kids did great, however there are a few kids that really struggle with this.

Does my expectations for sight words sound similar to yours? Or too hard/easy? I'm just worried my expectations might be too high for K.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 28, 2008

That is about what my school assesses for sight words. We have 50 words for the year plus color words. I tested on 37 of them for the 3rd nine weeks.

4. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Apr 29, 2008

Ours is 37 for the year. 30 for 3rd 9 weeks.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

We only have 23 required words that the county mandates we teach, but I supplement a lot. I have about 36 words I require my students to know by the end of the year. If you use these words daily and introduce them at a good pace students should pick up most of the words. If you are concerned about a particular student, I'd bring it up with the parents.

Morning messages are a great way to introduce and practice sight words.

I also use a language master with my students who need lots of repetition with sight words.

6. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 1, 2008

What's a language master?

7. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 1, 2008

Our curriculium only includes 18 words... but we supplement with about 10 more. And we don't include color words for the end of the year.

8. little317

little317 Groupie

May 1, 2008

It plays back sounds that are recorded on cards. Its helps students learn visually and auditorially. Here is a link to a website that explains it better than I could.

http://www.btinternet.com/~drakegroup/drake02/lm_system.htm

Our school purchased lots of blank cards, so I recorded a sight word of each card. Once the kids know how to use the machine, they can use it independently.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 1, 2008

Our students need to read and write 25 by the end of kindergarten.

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

May 4, 2008

Can you all share your sight words list in the order introduced? Are they required to recognize only, spell, write? How do you test?

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 4, 2008

ACK I can't remember them. Brain cramp. I'll write them down tomorrow.

12. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 5, 2008

My list is...
    "I, see, my, like, a, to, can, and, go, is, here, with, for, have, we, said, the, this, play, she, are, he"
    in that order too...

They are required to recognize, spell, and write. I am always assessing their knowledge of recognition, spelling, and writing through different activities throughout the year... journals, games, etc...