Sight Words

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jillybean, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Feb 29, 2012

I am sure this has been posted many time but I am looking for new things for students to learn sight words. We are using the Fry list.

I do write stamp glue and Rainbow rainbow writing.

But I need new things! Please help!!

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 29, 2012

Do you have the use of a laptop and projector? I made powerpoints for my sight words( one for each week of a Theme. We use Houghton Mifflin). They include a color photograph from clip art. My lowest kids love watching "a movie"with their weekly list.
    You could probably do this with a smartboard as well.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2012

Have them trace the words on different tactile materials (these could be things like jelly or shaving cream or working on a yarn blanket, foam, or cardboard).

Have students clap out or chant their words.

Have students cut out their words from magazines or newspapers.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 1, 2012

Sight word memory, slap with words, wiki sticks to find them in your morning message, etc.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2012

I play 'Sparkle' with my kids. I say a sight word to spell and as I point to a student, they have to spell it one letter at a time. For example:

Teacher: see
    Johnny: s
    Sally: e
    George: e

Then I move on to the next word. It's easy since I have all the words on our word wall. The students are able to look up on the board (great practice) if they don't know what comes next or they have to link about how they would spell it in their writing. It's a lot of fun, quick, and a great filler!

7. jlj

jlj Devotee

Mar 3, 2012

write in sand or flour, watercolor paint the words, rainbow write with colored chalk, students write words on each others back & try to guess word

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 3, 2012

I'd try Samson's Classroom, specifically Sight Words with Samson. It is a great program. I started the program 2 years ago and my kids have learned their sight words faster and better. They love the games and I like the great repetition. Plus, it's online so the kids can practice at home. It's worth a peek at.