sight words/ high frequency words

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jan 2, 2012.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2012

I teach kids with moderate disabilities and I am able to plan my own curriculum. It's great! However, I feel like I am lacking on the sight word instruction. I try to incorporate it, but with these kids, I decided I want more explicit daily instruction in sight words. I am thinking of giving a list on Monday, and review all week, and I'd keep reinforcing the words in what we read.

Are there any books for this that people find usable? I'm having a hard time finding something appropriate. It's okay if it looks a little young, but some of the stuff is way too babyish. Who has something they like?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2012

Anybody?

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2012

I've heard that the Words Their Way program is excellent and totally individualized. The book is too expensive for me to pay for out of pocket this year but I'm hoping that my principal will give me some extra money in February so that I can purchase it.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 3, 2012

Do you use a word wall? Play games with the words? Cloze activities? Repetitive poems?

Is it recognition you are most concerned about or spelling? I'm tutoring a 3rd grader in reading and we spend part of the time on sight words. I don't feel totally comfortable that I'm doing all that I can do, either, though he is making progress.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2012

We use Reading Street, and the HF words are incorporated into the stories, so the kids get a lot of exposure, which is nice. I also put the words on the word wall and the kids can use them in sentences and in writing. I also put them into spelling city and the kids do online activities with them.

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2012

I need to work on recognition. I do have a huge range of abilities in my room, so for two of the kids, it will be spelling. I'm not too concerned about those kids.

I don't have room for a word wall. I share my room and I don't have a wall or a door free.

Proud- I am very familiar with Words Their Way. Most of the kids I have this year are not high-functioning enough to generalize that.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2012

I find word walls work great when everyone is learning the same words or around the same level, but when you are worker with pre-primer students and then have students who are 3 or 4 grades higher, word walls can get pretty confusing (and distracting) for those pre-primer students.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2012

I don't use any books. Right now I'm using the Fry spelling words and students have their own individualized spelling list. Depending on the student; they will have between 5-10 words. They have to do one spelling center (teacher chosen) every morning. My centers are all hands-on and only one involves just copying and reading the words (they do this one every other week). They are also quizzed everyday (on new words and old words). Some students are only expected to read the words whereas my higher students are expected to spell their words. Test day is on Fridays. Words spelled incorrectly or read incorrectly are put back on left on their list for the following week.

10. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2012

I've been using Flash Fluency....it's a sight word - academic vocabulary game. It has a 4 different levels for different abilities. It's at the positive engagement project website in the Free download section.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2012

For my lowest level readers I use the Dolch Word List. I started with list 1, gave it to them on flashcards and practiced with them. I informally test them whenever I have a few extra minutes, giving them a check for the words they know. When they get 10 checks I cross the word off as "mastered." Each list has 25 words so after they've mastered 10 or so I introduce a new list. One of my students who came in speaking no English is now going to begin list 5 this week. It's very informal but it's working for us. My phonics instruction with them is much more involved.